D&D 5E Up 4% In Latest Orr Group Industry Report

Roll20's Quarter 1 2016 data analytics report has just arrived in my inbox, so, as always, it's stats time again! Not surprisingly, D&D 5th Edition remains the most-played system on the virtual tabletop (35.44% of all games, increasing by 4.05%), while Pathfinder, D&D 3.5 and D&D 4E all decreased slightly - but only by a single percent or so each.

Roll20's Quarter 1 2016 data analytics report has just arrived in my inbox, so, as always, it's stats time again! Not surprisingly, D&D 5th Edition remains the most-played system on the virtual tabletop (35.44% of all games, increasing by 4.05%), while Pathfinder, D&D 3.5 and D&D 4E all decreased slightly - but only by a single percent or so each.

Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 14.11.15.png

Additional analysis from The Orr Group:

• Star Wars Systems: We saw an uptick in Star Wars systems this quarter, with 266 more games and 963 more players than last quarter. We suspect this increase was influenced by RollPlay’s recent Star Wars one-shots on Twitch and YouTube ("Age of Rebellion" in December and "Balance of Power" in March).
  • World of Darkness: World of Darkness also performed well, with 143 more games and 757 more players. We hope this is due to our user base enjoying Roll20’s new Mage campaign!
  • Mouse Guard: Mouse Guard RPG games have doubled since Q4 of 2015, which we attribute to both the release of the second edition of Mouse Guard, as well as Roll20’s own one-shot of the game in January.
  • Increase in Non-English Games: Roll20 is continuing our efforts to make our site more accessible for non-English speakers. We were glad to see enough activity in foreign-language games Tormenta (Brazilian) and Chroniques Oubliées (French) to validate adding these titles to the Orr Group Industry Report. We’ll continue tracking these going forward.
  • Increase in Smaller Games: There are a few more new titles in this quarter’s report, which we gave special recognition due to increased activity in their game-specific character sheets. All Flesh Must Be Eaten is a survival horror game, while Paranoia is a darkly humorous dystopian RPG. It’s great to see more indie RPGs being used on Roll20!
  • Kickstarter Games: Tavern Tales is a recently-funded Kickstarter RPG that is currently in open beta. We’re happy to see people have begun playing this new indie game on Roll20!

The report's data is pulled form two locations within Roll20 member profiles. Player numbers are drawn from the “Enjoys Playing” and “Seeks Group For” sections, while Game numbers come from the “My Campaigns” section. The percentages can total more than 100%, particularly Player numbers, since each player will list their interest in multiple games. The report is meant to be a representative sample, and the game listings are curated by Roll20 staff. There is a more detailed explanation of the methodology here.

Up above are the quick stats, but below you'll find the detailed stats.

stats_long.png

happyhermit

Adventurer
Very interesting. Looking back at the report from last April, one thing that I find odd is that while it looks like Pathfinder, 3.5, and 4E all gained similar % of players saying they are interested in playing those games, Pathfinder was the only one to have any increase in actual games while 3.5 and 4E had less games. That seems very odd, because the numbers show a LOT more players.

I wonder how much of this is players choosing other systems versus GMs not running the quantities or types of games those players want. I suppose "table" size is another factor but I think that still leads back to number of games.

5e nearly tripled the number of people open to playing it, and the number of games almost doubled, which must mean that 5e players are very active in terms of number of games.

If I understand this part right:
"The report's data is pulled form two locations within Roll20 member profiles. Player numbers are drawn from the “Enjoys Playing” and “Seeks Group For” sections, while Game numbers come from the “My Campaigns” section."

This means these numbers don't actually indicate session type numbers. So I'm very curious if these actually accurately relate to usage. Just because someone indicates "Enjoys Playing" doesn't mean they have actually played that game recently, if ever. And I'm suspecting that the number of My Campaigns doesn't actually indicate how many of those are active, or how many times they have been played in the listed quarter.

It's interesting to see the numbers, but I don't know if these actually mean anything useful. Do they?

happyhermit

Adventurer
It's interesting to see the numbers, but I don't know if these actually mean anything useful. Do they?

They are more useful in showing trends than actual numbers. For example, if almost 3 times more people "Enjoy playing" 5e than 1 year ago on roll20, and there are twice as many games, that is useful and meaningful. Regardless of the factors you mention it is obvious that it is growing in popularity (on roll20). Sure, there may be older systems that are still showing slightly more popularity due to games still appearing on their profiles, and the a similar argument can be made for player preferences, but the trends will still correlate.

Lalato

Adventurer
Anyone have this data in line graph form to see trends. If not, is this data archived somewhere in an easy to digest format so that I can graph it up?

Remove ads

Remove ads