D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules

Abstruse

Legend
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules

All in all, I think the rules show the flexibility and level of customization to come, and are playable as stands. So long as you pick up the STARTER SET (available in select game stores now or from mass market outlets on July 15), you’re good to go and honestly don’t need anything else to play unless you want additional options. Releasing this amount of rules for free is the best move for the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS line. The barrier to entry is low, no matter how you cut it. If someone’s curious about the game, they can get enough rules to play totally for free. The rules are simple and easy to learn, even for complex classes like spellcasters. If you’re curious about the game or want to try it out again after an extended absence, all you have to do is download and get started.

5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules

The are two ways to look at the basic rules WotC released for free on their website: either you see them as a complete basic game that WotC is giving away for free, or you see them as an incomplete version of 5E. My own choice is to see the Basic Rules as something very similar to the basic D&D I learned to love back in the 90's, and the fact that they're giving this solid D&D game for free makes it even more awesome. We're using the complete 5E to play, but if you're interested in trying the rules without making a strong investment, I cannot recommend this version enough.

Cernor

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules

It's a given that something given for free won't be as good as something you have to pay for, but the basic rules are an excellent starting point for jumping into the 5th edition of D&D. You can play a full game without ever touching the Player's Handbook, making it a good way to try out the edition before deciding whether or not to buy the core books.

Yaztromo

Explorer
3 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules

Sara' che sono cresciuto con BECMI, sara' che crescendo ho chiesto ai giochi di essere sempre piu' veloci da preparare e da giocare, lasciandomi il divertimento e qualche spazio alla fantasia, senza annoiarmi con regolamenti tediosissimi e tabelle, ma tutta la produzione di AD&D e delle versioni successive di D&D (incluso Pathfinder) mi hanno spinto con sempre maggior convinzione ad affidarmi ad altri regolamenti, se volevo divertirmi senza per forza perdere un monte di orre per preparare le partite, lanciare un milione di dadi (robe da tunnel carpale fulminante), fare un sacco di calcoli, consultare un sacco di tabelle.... e avere contestazioni continue sull'interpretazione di questa o quella regola.Beh, devo dire che questa versione del regolamento e' un (mezzo) passo indietro in quella che (per me) e' la giusta direzione e l'idea di introdurre basic rules e' quello che ci voleva, ma c'e' ancora parecchia strada da fare prima di tornare a qualcosa di ragionevolmente semplice e rapido da giocare...

jadrax

Adventurer

Ok, it lacks a lot of options, but for the first time ever you can legally sit down and play D&D, from level 1 to 20, with only your printing costs to cover. On top of that, its a really good edition of D&D to boot.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad

And free is a good thing. You can download these rules, which I can then reference on my laptop or iPad at the game table or whereever I go. Easy layout to read, bookmarked with each setion laid out well and free of illustrations to make it easy to navigate. A DM basic rules is also available and both are periodically updated so my Basic Rules are always the latest rules reference.

alfarobl

Explorer

If you like D&D this is perfect free way to play 5e, comes with all the important mechanics. If you have the Starter Set this gives you character creation for it and if you feel like you like this system you have the Players Handbook to expand.

Lucas Yew

Explorer

All in all, just put this in your tablet computer or whatever and enjoy. You'll love this. ...if only we had a OGL or something similar for at least this so we could tinker away without hinders...

delericho

Legend

I really like the way this new version of D&D plays, and to have about a third of the core rules available for free download is excellent. I highly recommend you at least give it a try - what do you have to lose? Be warned, though: the Basic rules may turn out to have a $150 price tag, as you realise you need the 'real thing'.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases