• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

5E D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules

Product information... View for more details

grafikchaos

Villager
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules

You get close to the full game with this rule set. Yes, you only have the four iconic classes and races, and a much smaller selection of spells. However, you can actually play D&D for free with this. If you're new to D&D or role playing games in general, you have nothing to lose by downloading these from the Wizard's of the Coast website and start playing. Don't wait. Just go do it already.

Corrosive

Explorer

All the basic rules, including four classes and races up to 20th level, for free. And continually updated with more content. What's not to like?

Weird Dave

Explorer

It's free. It covers the basics of Dungeons & Dragons, enough to get a group of people playing and understanding the rules with the least amount of effort. It is, simply put, a gateway drug to the full books, which simply add MORE variety without getting lost in the fun. Get it and you'll be on your way to slaying orcs and mind flayers in no time. Well, maybe not mind flayers. Not just yet at least.

Alphastream

Villager

Overall, this is a free product that provides excellent content to anyone that wants to play D&D. This is fantastic for the growth of our hobby.But, the file could be reshaped to be less like a PH without images and more like an intro for new players. On Twitter it has been said by WotC that they intend to do that over time. If they can do that it will be an incredible offering.

ardisian

Villager

I am amazed that they are giving away so much material. They really do want to get people to game again.

Mistwell

Adventurer

Everything you need to play an excellent rules-lite D&D, and it's free! It's a return to OD&D, or Basic/Expert edition D&D if you prefer. Focus more on your imagination, and less on burdensome rules!

baradtgnome

Villager

The core rules are well thought out, and thoroughly tested. They do appear to have cherry picked from previous editions. Early edition feel with learnings from decades of play. Find out is you want this to be your game system for free. We find it fast and easy to play.

was

Villager
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules

Good opening offer. Provides more than enough information for players to create unique characters and to run an introductory adventure.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer

I used to bat on about how cool it was to be able to buy the whole rules to the Savage Worlds game for $20 (Australian). Well, here is a complete game for free. And a dam good game at that. I love this chasis upon which you can easily build. Best thing about 5E to me so far is how easy it is to adapt and write for.This free set of rules allowed my to get a roleplaying group up and running at the school where I work. We have 8 characters (many shared b/w 2 players) and they were all created with the Basic Rules only. Even without the Archetypes, there is enough in here to make the fighters different from one another.Obviously, I prefer the options of the PHB, but this was a great introduction...and FREE!

gnarm gimblegear

Buy the Starter Set ($12 on Amazon) as a gift for any gamer that could possibly be interested in tabletop RPGs. Include a printout of the free Basic D&D player and DM PDFs and you've likely set them down a path of a lifetime of gaming.

Mica Fetz

WotC hasn't said much about an OGL or GSL yet. However, the basic version of the game, the skeleton of it, if you will, is free for download at the WotC website. The system plays like other d20 games, streamlined, somewhat, a few new mechanics alter the feel of the game (Backgrounds and Advantage/Disadvantage for example). Overall, it's a great game system and I'm really enjoying my time behind the screen. Highly customizable and easily Hacked. Enjoy!!

bragarfull

Villager

Perfect for those who are limited on their budget and cannot afford the actual 3 core books. They can still play the "basic" of the new version and hombrew away.

TrippyHippy

Adventurer

Boiled down to the essence of a ‘4x4’ list of Races and Classes and an abbreviated list of Monsters, but this is fully playable game. The rules are my favourite version of D&D (in conjunction with the Core books), so I have little to say that’s negative. I understand that giving it away means no art, however, but an actual cover would have been nice…

Kaychsea

Villager

The bulk of the rules of the game, it's free and updates as new material comes out.

3 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules

The game is pretty good, I feel missing out on the warlord and being a bit overdone for spell casters is a big step back though.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

There's not much to say about the D&D Basic Rules. A complete game, for free. You get four classes and four races going from levels 1-10, and the rules of the game. If you're not sure whether D&D 5E is for you, this is the way to find out. It's no substitute for the complete PHB/MM/DMG core set, and doesn't fill the role that the Starter Set does, so I'm not actually completely sure what its purpose it -- but I'm not complaining. When somebody gives me something for free, I don't demand to know why! It's free. Go download it now.

Advertisement