• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [D&D 5th Edition] Best 50/50 multiclass?

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Clayton,

Did your DM by any chance start playing D&D before 3rd edition came out? His need for a story reason for multiclassing makes me think of us old timers who started back with 1st Edition. Back then, if you wanted to be a multiclass character, you chose your classes at 1st level and then leveled them up at the same time, because XP was split evenly between the classes, rather than choosing just one class to level up every time you leveled.

For those that needed a story reason for the changing or adding of a new class when leveling up, groups I have been in generally required you to say what class your next level would be so that you could, in character, be training and practicing for that class as you gained the XP. It also helps if there is another character in the adventuring party that is of the class you are planning on for your next level, as it can be that character who is helping train your character for the new level.

Also, ignore that Warlock/Warlock suggestion, as it is against the rules to multiclass twice in the same class.

Plus, be careful with any Warlock X/Caster X multiclasses, since they do not combine with other casters in the same way, unless they are Pact of the Tome, I think.

Not sure when he started playing D&D we only met a couple of years ago and it has not come up. I think generally, if we had a member of the class it would make it easier however, Draconic Origin sorcerers and Warlocks would pretty much have to have story event if I read him right. I played 3.5 and enjoyed the cross-class skills as a way to add variety instead of multi-classing. I think, generally Warlocks are a good 3 level dip but I would not want them as the base class or more because of the potential loss of spell slots 6 and up.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Off topic: Don't you just hate it when a poster replies to your post but then promptly blocks you, so when I check my notifications, the quote leads nowhere... :erm:

That'll teach ya for writing a post so deceptively inflammatory that it's only AFTER they bother writing a response that they realize they were supposed to be angry at you! ;) You hide your good work well, Capn!

gyor

Legend
Moon Druid/Greenkinght Paladin, fits thematically and you use Divine Smite in animal form so the MAD doesn't matter as much.

gyor

Legend
Rogue Assassin/Shadow Monk works well too.

Arcane Archer Fighter/Hunter Ranger.

Favoured Soul/Lore Bard, perfect for cherry picking spells.

Shadow Monk/Horizon Walker Ranger

Beast Master Ranger/Paladin of the Ancients.

Stone Sorceror/Eldrich Knight Fighter, focus on Intelligence over Charisma because Soceror spells you choose will be smites, defence spells, and utilities, any blaster spells can come from Eldrich Knight.

Last edited:

Remove ads