D&D = American + European Fantasy

Dungeons & Dragons draws on a rich mythology from the works of European authors like J.R.R. Tolkien and Michael Moorcock. And yet D&D was also influenced by American authors like Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, H.P. Lovecraft, and R.E. Howard. The end result is that D&D's tone sits somewhere between the two. Photo by Jorge Martínez on Unsplash European Folklore The bones of D&D have obvious...

Dungeons & Dragons draws on a rich mythology from the works of European authors like J.R.R. Tolkien and Michael Moorcock. And yet D&D was also influenced by American authors like Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, H.P. Lovecraft, and R.E. Howard. The end result is that D&D's tone sits somewhere between the two.

disney.jpg

Photo by Jorge Martínez on Unsplash
European Folklore

The bones of D&D have obvious roots in European myths and legends; we see it in the dwarves, elves, hobbits, and orcs of J.R.R. Tolkien and the fairies, giants, and dragons that are scattered throughout the Monster Manual. Colleen Gillard explains how British fantasy flourished by staying in touch with its pagan roots -- and was even influenced by the landscape:

Landscape matters: Britain’s antique countryside, strewn with moldering castles and cozy farms, lends itself to fairy-tale invention. As Tatar puts it, the British are tuned in to the charm of their pastoral fields...

But D&D has many influences, not the least of which are co-creators Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, who brought their own American sensibilities to the game. For a fantasy role-playing game that is distinctly European, look no further than Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, now in its Fourth Edition.

American Influences

American fantasy, like the Europeans, was influenced by its terrain:

America’s mighty vistas, by contrast, are less cozy, less human-scaled, and less haunted. The characters that populate its purple mountain majesties and fruited plains are decidedly real...

But perhaps the strongest difference is a sense of control over one's destiny. This belief, carried over with America's earliest settlers from Europe, reinforced that self-enrichment was a moral right, as outlined by Max Weber:

...Weber wrote that capitalism in Northern Europe evolved when the Protestant (particularly Calvinist) ethic influenced large numbers of people to engage in work in the secular world, developing their own enterprises and engaging in trade and the accumulation of wealth for investment. In other words, the Protestant work ethic was an important force behind the unplanned and uncoordinated emergence of modern capitalism.

No wonder then that Gygax strongly adhered to a leveling system in which heroes can rise to success through the accumulation of wealth at significant risk. This was how heroes like Conan, Fafhrd, and the Gray Mouser did it, and it draws on a long tradition of American folklore:

Popular storytelling in the New World instead tended to celebrate in words and song the larger-than-life exploits of ordinary men and women: Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Calamity Jane, even a mule named Sal on the Erie Canal. Out of bragging contests in logging and mining camps came even greater exaggerations—Tall Tales—about the giant lumberjack Paul Bunyan, the twister-riding cowboy Pecos Bill, and that steel-driving man John Henry, who, born a slave, died with a hammer in his hand. All of these characters embodied the American promise: They earned their fame.

Unlike in European fantasy where boys become kings (or in Harry Potter's case, orphans become wizards), characters in D&D aren't usually born heroes; the very nature of leveling systems and experience points ensures they earn it.

A Motley Mix

Adding these two influences together creates Dungeons & Dragons, a rich tapestry of fantasy that draws on the works of European authors and then throws in American sensibilities where the heroes are in control of their destiny -- or at least their skills and attributes.

For all their American influences, D&D heroes are still small in the weave of the world. In early D&D games, they died by the handfuls at the whim of dice, a lesson distinctly at odds with American determinism.

D&D has come full circle to influence the fantasy that created it. You can see its motley pedigree's fingerprints on sweeping fantasies like Game of Thrones. As the fantasy genre continues to flourish and the world becomes more interconnected, it seems likely that we'll see more works that draw on other cultures...D&D included.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

HorusZA

Explorer
I remember reading this on a forum once:
In American stories, the hero succeeds because he is powerful. (ex. Conan)
In European stories, the hero succeeds despite being weak. (ex. Frodo)

I think that D&D clearly falls into the first category. That said I wonder if there is a trend in that design philosophy between European games and American ones?

lyle.spade

Adventurer
I think you're missing the impact of the Western on Dungeons and Dragons. I personally think there's a lot of Western influence on the game, and not all of it comes filtered through Robert E Howard's Conan stories (which - IMO at least - are basically Robert E Howard's Western stories but set in a pseudo-historical fantasy world).

That's a really good point.

delericho

Legend
Golarion is Paizo's version of Forgotten Realms, every troope has a place somewhere. Both are fun settings to read as multiple creative minds add to the lore.

I always got the impression that Golarion was Paizo's answer to Greyhawk. What with Eric Mona being such a huge fan and all...

Zansy

Explorer
I'll just be bookmarking this article and keeping it for the next forever or so... It's very important historical context!

Von Ether

Legend
For me, this is another reason that trying to add realism to game where you fight dragons and live thanks to magical relics should be taken with a grain of salt. Relax and let people have their fun.

D&D has come full circle to influence the fantasy that created it. You can see its motley pedigree's fingerprints on sweeping fantasies like Game of Thrones.

Ummm. Actually no I can't. Honestly I don't see a lot of the extras D&D throws on top of classic fantasy appear in modern media. Spell memorization is probably the most D&D-ish trope, and I don't see much of that. What else is D&D that isn't classic fantasy? I guess "dwarves with Scottish accents" might have been a D&D-derived meme? Are clerics not allowed used edged weapons in GoT? Do we have character who cannot be injuries, just go from fully-effective to dead? Evidence of strong classes?

I know it's pleasant to think that your hobby is changing the world, but I'm not convinced.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
D&D does come across as very American.

But while REH's Conan is quite American, and modernist, I don't think it's correct to say that Conan earns his power through his riches.

Indeed. Conan seems to have a substantial inability to hang onto much of anything in many stories.

In many of the stories (eg Tower of the Elephant, Jewels of Gwaihir) he loses the loot because instead he does the right thing.

He also does a lot of the "wrong" things, too: Drinking and loose women being two examples, along with simply escaping from a nasty situation with his skin intact but little else.

The same holds for Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser. One of the best stories of those two is "The Two Best Thieves in Lankhmar". Hint: It's not Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.

Jay Verkuilen

I think you're missing the impact of the Western on Dungeons and Dragons. I personally think there's a lot of Western influence on the game, and not all of it comes filtered through Robert E Howard's Conan stories (which - IMO at least - are basically Robert E Howard's Western stories but set in a pseudo-historical fantasy world).

Westerns are hugely influential on both the American fantasy authors as well as superheroes. The pulps published all sorts of things. Zorro, for instance, directly influenced characters like Batman and the Shadow. REH clearly read a lot of them, and I seem to recall wrote some, too.

There are other notable influences, such as Miguel Cervantes (Don Quixote, Rinconete y Cortadillo) and the Kalevala (both directly because EGG was a fan, and indirectly through both JRR Tolkien and Michael Moorcock).

Jay Verkuilen

D&D is the classic "from zero to hero" and it isn't wrong because we like to see how our favorite characters are growing.

IMO, while I totally agree that anticipatory utility and a narrative of growth are useful, "zero to hero" can be a tired cliche. I'd definitely like to see alternatives explored.

Today if somebody makes a new version of Cervantes' "the travails of Persiles and Sigismunda" but in a fantasy world with orcs and undeads and it becomes a blockbuster.

* The too powerful characters are boring and annoying like the Mary Sue and Gary Stu from fan-fiction. I hate Dragon Ball because they are too powerful, and then Superman was too strong. Now I would rather Superman because he would rather to use the brain and 20 pages have got more story and plot and 20 TV chapters of Son Goku vs Freeser fighting in the planet Namek. My favorite Hercules is the one played by Kevin Sorbo because sometimes he would rather diplomacy skills.

* D&D is a mash-up mixing a lot of things from different sources, including Lovecratian terror, but I miss more creatures from no-English popular folklore. The rest of Europe has got a lot of rich mythology, with lots of different fairies and giants.

Remove ads

Remove ads