D&D = American + European Fantasy

Dungeons & Dragons draws on a rich mythology from the works of European authors like J.R.R. Tolkien and Michael Moorcock. And yet D&D was also influenced by American authors like Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, H.P. Lovecraft, and R.E. Howard. The end result is that D&D's tone sits somewhere between the two.

disney.jpg

Photo by Jorge Martínez on Unsplash
European Folklore

The bones of D&D have obvious roots in European myths and legends; we see it in the dwarves, elves, hobbits, and orcs of J.R.R. Tolkien and the fairies, giants, and dragons that are scattered throughout the Monster Manual. Colleen Gillard explains how British fantasy flourished by staying in touch with its pagan roots -- and was even influenced by the landscape:

Landscape matters: Britain’s antique countryside, strewn with moldering castles and cozy farms, lends itself to fairy-tale invention. As Tatar puts it, the British are tuned in to the charm of their pastoral fields...

But D&D has many influences, not the least of which are co-creators Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, who brought their own American sensibilities to the game. For a fantasy role-playing game that is distinctly European, look no further than Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, now in its Fourth Edition.

American Influences

American fantasy, like the Europeans, was influenced by its terrain:

America’s mighty vistas, by contrast, are less cozy, less human-scaled, and less haunted. The characters that populate its purple mountain majesties and fruited plains are decidedly real...

But perhaps the strongest difference is a sense of control over one's destiny. This belief, carried over with America's earliest settlers from Europe, reinforced that self-enrichment was a moral right, as outlined by Max Weber:

...Weber wrote that capitalism in Northern Europe evolved when the Protestant (particularly Calvinist) ethic influenced large numbers of people to engage in work in the secular world, developing their own enterprises and engaging in trade and the accumulation of wealth for investment. In other words, the Protestant work ethic was an important force behind the unplanned and uncoordinated emergence of modern capitalism.

No wonder then that Gygax strongly adhered to a leveling system in which heroes can rise to success through the accumulation of wealth at significant risk. This was how heroes like Conan, Fafhrd, and the Gray Mouser did it, and it draws on a long tradition of American folklore:

Popular storytelling in the New World instead tended to celebrate in words and song the larger-than-life exploits of ordinary men and women: Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Calamity Jane, even a mule named Sal on the Erie Canal. Out of bragging contests in logging and mining camps came even greater exaggerations—Tall Tales—about the giant lumberjack Paul Bunyan, the twister-riding cowboy Pecos Bill, and that steel-driving man John Henry, who, born a slave, died with a hammer in his hand. All of these characters embodied the American promise: They earned their fame.

Unlike in European fantasy where boys become kings (or in Harry Potter's case, orphans become wizards), characters in D&D aren't usually born heroes; the very nature of leveling systems and experience points ensures they earn it.

A Motley Mix

Adding these two influences together creates Dungeons & Dragons, a rich tapestry of fantasy that draws on the works of European authors and then throws in American sensibilities where the heroes are in control of their destiny -- or at least their skills and attributes.

For all their American influences, D&D heroes are still small in the weave of the world. In early D&D games, they died by the handfuls at the whim of dice, a lesson distinctly at odds with American determinism.

D&D has come full circle to influence the fantasy that created it. You can see its motley pedigree's fingerprints on sweeping fantasies like Game of Thrones. As the fantasy genre continues to flourish and the world becomes more interconnected, it seems likely that we'll see more works that draw on other cultures...D&D included.

Last edited:

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Indeed. Conan seems to have a substantial inability to hang onto much of anything in many stories.

He also does a lot of the "wrong" things, too: Drinking and loose women being two examples, along with simply escaping from a nasty situation with his skin intact but little else.

Not only does Conan not achieve power through Wealth, he is completely indifferent to wealth at all. He obtains it, he spends it/loses it, and he moves on.

To Conan, power comes from what you are made of not what you can hold.

Hey, I like my generic pseudo-Medieval pseudo-European fantasy settings, thank you very much.

Though IIRC (it's been a while since I read it, to be honest), Das Schwarze Auge is pretty similar -- I'd have expected it to be a European pseudo-Medieval fantasy setting.

Maybe someone more familiar with DSA can elaborate.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
What else is D&D that isn't classic fantasy? I guess "dwarves with Scottish accents" might have been a D&D-derived meme?

Dwarves with Scottish accents is from Warcraft as I recall.

I know it's pleasant to think that your hobby is changing the world, but I'm not convinced.

I haven't really looked at any fantasy novels in a while but there was a definite feeling of "I came up with this story in my campaign" going. Hopefully that's died out.

Jhaelen

First Post
Not only does Conan not achieve power through Wealth, he is completely indifferent to wealth at all. He obtains it, he spends it/loses it, and he moves on.

To Conan, power comes from what you are made of not what you can hold.
IIRC, in D&D, originally, you gained xp for _spending gold_, not for gaining it. I.e. it closely resembles the Conan stories in that regard.

KenNYC

Explorer
In 5th edition WotC decided to make gold worthless for petty design reasons, a decision they're doubling down on with Xanathar's variant "no gold at all" system that will be used by their official tournament rules.

To me, that is losing sight of an essential American quality of the game.
If they don't have gold at all how do they buy stuff? I am not understanding this.

CapnZapp

Legend
If they don't have gold at all how do they buy stuff? I am not understanding this.
A reasonable question. However since this isn't a rules thread, or even about any specific edition, is it okay if my answer is "go look it up"?

(The rule is from Xanathar's, but my guess the most accessible explanation will be found in the Adventurer's League; since they will use it from this season on)

For the purposes of this thread, the relevant summary is simply:

In 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons the publisher has moved away from gold (almost) entirely.

Gorath99

Explorer
Dwarves with Scottish accents is from Warcraft as I recall.
It certainly helped to popularize it, but it wasn't the first. From what I understand, Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions from 1953 already featured a dwarf with a Scottish accent. Dragonlance's Flint Fireforge and Salvatore's Bruenor Battlehammer also predate Warcraft.

KenNYC

Explorer
A reasonable question. However since this isn't a rules thread, or even about any specific edition, is it okay if my answer is "go look it up"?

(The rule is from Xanathar's, but my guess the most accessible explanation will be found in the Adventurer's League; since they will use it from this season on)

For the purposes of this thread, the relevant summary is simply:

In 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons the publisher has moved away from gold (almost) entirely.

I say this and will continue to say it: the more I play 5e the more I see the wisdom of 1e. That makes no sense. Now your character has this magic out of game power that lets you just go on shopping sprees from non-existent stores that you never actually go to, and you just magically wake up one day with your Scrolls, armor and Holy Avengers? So much for role playing.

La La La, I think I would like a magic horse with a gold saddle!

Where do you go to get it?

It doesn't matter, the rules say I can have it and I want it now!

The whole thing reminds me of the horrible girl from Willy Wonka.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases