D&D = American + European Fantasy

Dungeons & Dragons draws on a rich mythology from the works of European authors like J.R.R. Tolkien and Michael Moorcock. And yet D&D was also influenced by American authors like Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, H.P. Lovecraft, and R.E. Howard. The end result is that D&D's tone sits somewhere between the two. Photo by Jorge Martínez on Unsplash European Folklore The bones of D&D have obvious...

Dungeons & Dragons draws on a rich mythology from the works of European authors like J.R.R. Tolkien and Michael Moorcock. And yet D&D was also influenced by American authors like Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, H.P. Lovecraft, and R.E. Howard. The end result is that D&D's tone sits somewhere between the two.

disney.jpg

Photo by Jorge Martínez on Unsplash
European Folklore

The bones of D&D have obvious roots in European myths and legends; we see it in the dwarves, elves, hobbits, and orcs of J.R.R. Tolkien and the fairies, giants, and dragons that are scattered throughout the Monster Manual. Colleen Gillard explains how British fantasy flourished by staying in touch with its pagan roots -- and was even influenced by the landscape:

Landscape matters: Britain’s antique countryside, strewn with moldering castles and cozy farms, lends itself to fairy-tale invention. As Tatar puts it, the British are tuned in to the charm of their pastoral fields...

But D&D has many influences, not the least of which are co-creators Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, who brought their own American sensibilities to the game. For a fantasy role-playing game that is distinctly European, look no further than Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, now in its Fourth Edition.

American Influences

American fantasy, like the Europeans, was influenced by its terrain:

America’s mighty vistas, by contrast, are less cozy, less human-scaled, and less haunted. The characters that populate its purple mountain majesties and fruited plains are decidedly real...

But perhaps the strongest difference is a sense of control over one's destiny. This belief, carried over with America's earliest settlers from Europe, reinforced that self-enrichment was a moral right, as outlined by Max Weber:

...Weber wrote that capitalism in Northern Europe evolved when the Protestant (particularly Calvinist) ethic influenced large numbers of people to engage in work in the secular world, developing their own enterprises and engaging in trade and the accumulation of wealth for investment. In other words, the Protestant work ethic was an important force behind the unplanned and uncoordinated emergence of modern capitalism.

No wonder then that Gygax strongly adhered to a leveling system in which heroes can rise to success through the accumulation of wealth at significant risk. This was how heroes like Conan, Fafhrd, and the Gray Mouser did it, and it draws on a long tradition of American folklore:

Popular storytelling in the New World instead tended to celebrate in words and song the larger-than-life exploits of ordinary men and women: Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Calamity Jane, even a mule named Sal on the Erie Canal. Out of bragging contests in logging and mining camps came even greater exaggerations—Tall Tales—about the giant lumberjack Paul Bunyan, the twister-riding cowboy Pecos Bill, and that steel-driving man John Henry, who, born a slave, died with a hammer in his hand. All of these characters embodied the American promise: They earned their fame.

Unlike in European fantasy where boys become kings (or in Harry Potter's case, orphans become wizards), characters in D&D aren't usually born heroes; the very nature of leveling systems and experience points ensures they earn it.

A Motley Mix

Adding these two influences together creates Dungeons & Dragons, a rich tapestry of fantasy that draws on the works of European authors and then throws in American sensibilities where the heroes are in control of their destiny -- or at least their skills and attributes.

For all their American influences, D&D heroes are still small in the weave of the world. In early D&D games, they died by the handfuls at the whim of dice, a lesson distinctly at odds with American determinism.

D&D has come full circle to influence the fantasy that created it. You can see its motley pedigree's fingerprints on sweeping fantasies like Game of Thrones. As the fantasy genre continues to flourish and the world becomes more interconnected, it seems likely that we'll see more works that draw on other cultures...D&D included.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Do we have character who cannot be injuries, just go from fully-effective to dead? Evidence of strong classes?

I know it's pleasant to think that your hobby is changing the world, but I'm not convinced.

I thought that characters who can not be injured and go from fully effective to dead was a Hollywood Movie trope.

Yaarel

He Mage
Traveling thru Britain, I was surprised at how much of the island is nature. The British nations are advanced civilizations on a relatively small island, yet they still manage to preserve so much vegetation.

Gorath99

Explorer
I've got a copy of 3H3L next to me. I'm not sure Hugi's Scottish, specifically, though, but he does speak in a patois reminiscent of it as written down. However, so does nearly every other human character, including Alianora the Swanmay. Flint and Bruenor... been too long since I read those to recall how they're written and I don't have copies. They're clearly "earthy father figure" stereotypes, though, so that can fit.

I suspect it was kind of building as a possible option for "dwarf speech" and then Warcraft pushed it over the edge, but that's just a guess. Unfortunately now it's become a really tired cliche.
Oh, Warcraft definitely played a very significant part in making it the cliche that it is. My point was merely that they weren't the first. :)

Starfox

Hero
Back to the basics; I agree DnD was originally a mix of European (mainly Germanic, but some Celtic as well) and American. RPGs certainly progressed past that point, but this is where it started.

As a European, I felt very early on (back in 1980 or so) that the gp = xp mechanic was off. In my image of a hero, gold had no role. Maybe that is an "Americanism", that would make sense. Heroes early on also lacked any kind of roots in the game world. I think that is a teenager thing, when you are breaking free of your family, you don't want family influence on your fantasies. But it might also be Americanism, in the idea that it doesn't matter who you are, what matters is what you do and the money you earn. (Chivalry and Sorcery, with its intricate rules on family and society, was an eye-opener here, but C&S went for a much more European feel than D&D.)

I detest the "money as xp" mechanic in 3E and its successors. I feel it prohibits stories about wealth, since you cannot really deprive a character of wealth, or have a character that spends wealth on things other than gear. Doing so upsets the balance of the game. :( I much prefer systems like Champions/Hero System, where you use xp/character points to purchase special equipment. I didn't know 5E had moved away from that, and like that very much. But this thread has actually informed me of the root (or a possible root) of this mechanic, which I find very interesting.

On to anecdotes. In early Rolemaster, there was a rule that you could destroy gems and absorb their essence to gain xp. This is a role reversal of the self-made-man who gains xp from earning money - it brings to mind the picture of an idle noble who refuses to do much of anything, but can get to the epitome of power just through wealth.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Traveling thru Britain, I was surprised at how much of the island is nature. The British nations are advanced civilizations on a relatively small island, yet they still manage to preserve so much vegetation.

It’s the 8th largest island in the world. It’s a big island, not a small one. You’re comparing islands to continents there when you compare it to North America. :)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Indeed. Conan seems to have a substantial inability to hang onto much of anything in many stories.

He also does a lot of the "wrong" things, too: Drinking and loose women being two examples

And what's wrong with that? That's what the riches are for. :)

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I detest the "money as xp" mechanic in 3E and its successors. I feel it prohibits stories about wealth, since you cannot really deprive a character of wealth, or have a character that spends wealth on things other than gear. Doing so upsets the balance of the game. :(

Gold = XP is old.

I'm not sure where it first emerged, but it is definitely in 1E. The game has been mostly running away from it for a long time, though with occasional retrograde motions. Early D&D definitely shows its wargaming roots, and "loot" was a pretty easy shift from the kinds of victory points that many wargames have. Once you got the XP, you had it and could spend the money however you wanted. The 1E DMG has lots of ways to spend money besides gear: Sage research, buying a stronghold, paying followers/henchmen, or buying ships being classic examples.

What would be tricky is level advancement but even back in the 1E days people were often thinking of things like milestone advancement---I know I did it as did some other folks I played with later.

Remove ads

Remove ads