• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

D&D and Settings: What's Next?

Parmandur

Legend
Gamma World- awesome, and unlikely. But possible! I'd love to see it.

But .... Star Frontiers? Could we hope? Puh-leeze?
Mearls has run 5E-powered Star Frontiers and Gamma World games at cons, meaning there has been some thought put into the idea: I think we may see it eventually, if the Edition is going strong and they have plumbed the depths of the main D&D settings.

Li Shenron

Adventurer
I was surprised that they started with Ravnica as it's a rather unconventional setting for D&D style adventuring. Dominaria or Zendikar seem like they would have suited things better.
But they have published Dominaria and Zendikar, only not in hardcover prints... perhaps only Ravnica was popular and complex enough to make a printed book for it.

lkj

Explorer
I've been wondering whether they would do what they did last year and pair their setting hardback announcement with a pdf release. Last year it was Ravnica-Eberron. This year it's Eberron-?. But they have done the announcements differently this year. Maybe they have decided not to duplicate that strategy. Or perhaps they just have too much other stuff going on to keep up with it.

AD

lowkey13

Exterminate all rational thought
{snip}

The idea of a rebooted Greyhawk, with some updates to add in some novel concepts mixed in with classic, recognizable names, that strikes me as a bit more interesting. That's something I would look into picking up, so I view it as a positive.

I recognize that not everyone agrees with my aesthetic preferences, of course, but I have no particular desire to advocate for other people's preferences. So I'll continue to push for a "Greyhawk for the 21st century", since I view a remake of the tropes of 1983 to be a path I have little interest in purchasing.
So, here's the thing. I understand what you're saying (if I may slightly paraphrase and simplify it, "If they are just republishing the 1983 stuff, why bother?"). And we are in the same boat, albeit for different reasons (why would I purchase something I already have, with the real map?). So allow me to be a little more granular as to what my objection is, and what I would hope to see:

I would want a setting that started by emphasizing the human-centric nature of Greyhawk, as well as the "classic" demographic components. There would be a small sidebar with additional information about ideas for non-standard races- for example, how to incorporate Tieflings (Iuz) or monstrous races (Pomarj, for example) and the drawbacks for doing so given the nature of the setting. In other words, that these choices should be considered carefully, and that this isn't an "everything goes" by default.

Then, I'd want a real emphasis put on the folio opening- "Humankind is fragmented into isolationist realms, indifferent nations, evil lands, and states striving for good...Nomads, bandits, and barbarians raid southwards every spring and summer. Humanoid enclaves are strongly established and scattered throughout the continent, and wicked insanity rules in the Great Kingdom.” The idea that there was once-powerful kingdoms of man (Sueloise, Bakluns, for example) that have been destroyed or are shells of themselves, and that the next wave (the Great Kingdom etc.) is just a hollowed-out shell, and wicked madness and decay is clawing away at the thin veneer of civilization that still grasps to maintain a hold in the Flanaess.

Most importantly, I'd want the campaign setting to provide two things:

A. The ability (and perhaps tools?) for DMs to put their own bit of weirdness into their own campaign. Really- you want a Tabaxi homeland? Make it so. Emphasize that there is so much unknown that DMs can feel free to add in what they wish. Greyhawk isn't conservative; it's fairly gonzo, with portals to other planes, spaceships, and dead civilizations of great power. Make it your own.

B. Fun.

In the end, all that matters is (B). Make it fun, and everything else tends to work out.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
But they have published Dominaria and Zendikar, only not in hardcover prints... perhaps only Ravnica was popular and complex enough to make a printed book for it.
I'm not sure they qualify as proper D&D setting books though. There's still a bunch of work left for the student :) But if you have the art book then there's a good amount of atmospheric content to work with.

Parmandur

Legend
I've been wondering whether they would do what they did last year and pair their setting hardback announcement with a pdf release. Last year it was Ravnica-Eberron. This year it's Eberron-?. But they have done the announcements differently this year. Maybe they have decided not to duplicate that strategy. Or perhaps they just have too much other stuff going on to keep up with it.

AD
Yeah, RftLW was announced nearly a month later than every previous November book, closer to going to the printer. They have said the Eberron experiment was a huge success, so I think they will go there again. But apparently with some modification.

Li Shenron

Adventurer
I'm not sure they qualify as proper D&D setting books though. There's still a bunch of work left for the student :) But if you have the art book then there's a good amount of atmospheric content to work with.
I don't know how much material there could have been, but those are indeed small.

But then, for my tastes even SCAG doesn't qualify. Older editions setting books have spoiled me with their high page count and small fonts (think 3e FRCS).

Kai Lord

Explorer
I'd love it if a couple years from now I am able to look over at my bookshelf and see three new 5E hardcovers for Dark Sun, Dragonlance, and Planescape.

Reynard

Adventurer
Dear WotC: Please roll Planescape and Spelljammer into a single setting called Planejammer and do all the crazy fun stuff of both of those setting without crystal spheres an such like. Sincerely, Reynard.

Reactions: OB1

Advertisement