• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

D&D and Settings: What's Next?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Back in 2015, WotC conducted a survey. It covered many things, amongst which were D&D's various worlds and settings.

The settings fell into three 'tiers' of popularity:
  • Tier 1: Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape, Forgotten Realms
  • Tier 2: Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Spelljammer
  • Tier 3: Everything else
Of that first tier, three of the five have been covered, with Dark Sun and Planescape yet to come. The drop between Tier 2 and Tier 3 is "fairly steep".

They also noted that "Spelljammer has often lagged behind the broad popularity of other settings, falling into love-it-or-hate-it status depending on personal tastes. Greyhawk and Dragonlance hew fairly close to the assumptions we used in creating the fifth edition rulebooks, making them much easier to run with material from past editions. Of the top five settings, four require significant new material to function and the fifth is by far our most popular world."

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Adventurer
Planescapes probably easy enough to convert with things like Mordenkainens and Volos plus DMG.

Saltmarsh had overhauled vehicle rules, we know they're working on psionics. Saltmarsh ships stick a helm on them and fly off.

Darksun and Spelljammer probably in that order.

Zardnaar

Adventurer
To me that means Dark Sun which also had a 4e book like Eberron.
Yeah that's another one.
Greyhawk kinda got touched on with Saltmarsh as well.

IDK how Strahd and Saltmarsh did but testing waters sales would give an indicator for full releases later.

Planescape or something close to it can be done with existing material

lowkey13

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
I'd go with Dark Sun for their next major release (barring a out-of-left-field surprise, like Ravnica).

Simply because, at some point, they are going to want to release psionic rules, and that seems the most appropriate way to do it.

PabloM

Explorer
Yes, I think it is most likely Dark Sun.
Anyway, I wonder if its popularity is not a bit retroactive effect for having had a 4e version. I mean, Forgotten Realms, Eberron and Dark Sun are the settings that received the most official attention in the last twelve years, it is obvious that they will be the most popular.
Don't get me wrong, I love those settings, but it's also true that we haven't had settings books for worlds like Dragonlance or Greyhawk (or others) for a long time, and people are less and less likely to meet them.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
My feeling, with all the setting material already existing for these (on DMs Guild etc), the best way to handle it would be in a Player’s Guide to the Multiverse, and a companion DMs Guide to the Multiverse. The Player’s Guide would naturally provide races, classes and backgrounds for the various settings (and new spells and equipment) . The DMs guide would provide maps, and adventure building advice along with treasure unique to the settings, (and I guess advice and updating old adventures to 5e?)

Do they need more than that? My thinking is that both books would be a good resource even if you’re r not planning to set a game there.

OB1

Explorer
I think Dark Sun would be the next full campaign setting, where Planescape could be done with a level 10-20 Adventure Path in the vein of CoS, possibly as a follow up to Descent into Avernus.

DEFCON 1

Legend
I'd go with Dark Sun for their next major release (barring a out-of-left-field surprise, like Ravnica).

Simply because, at some point, they are going to want to release psionic rules, and that seems the most appropriate way to do it.
Exactly.

They aren't going to do Dark Sun for Dark Sun's sake... they'll do Dark Sun because they want a place to put their psionics rules.

Parmandur

Legend

Yes, Dark Sun would round out the Classes, and provide a distinct experience. I would propose Planescape is likely to be next, then Dragonlance.

Giltonio_Santos

Adventurer
Curse of Strahd is so popular I believe they should return to Ravenloft before going anywhere else. But I guess we're going to Dark Sun before returning to Ravenloft (or any non-Realms place).

lowkey13

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Yes, Dark Sun would round out the Classes, and provide a distinct experience. I would propose Planescape is likely to be next, then Dragonlance.
I think that Dark Sun is the easy call given their playtesting of various psionic classes, and the long history of psionics in D&D, and the natural fit of psionics as a Dark Sun release.

...it gets murkier after that, though. Part of it is the whole movie IP thing (now it's Goldstein & Daley at the helm?) so, who knows? I mean, if they can announce a movie or tv series with a Dragonlance twist, or relaunch a videogame based on it, I could see DL coming out with the classic (albeit updated) storyline.

The Glen

Explorer
Give me all of them at once. Just open up the guild. I don't have any interest of the Forgotten Realms. I do have interest in Mystara, Greyhawk and Planescape. I want to see a grand Adventure in sigil where every party member comes from a different setting. An elemental cleric from Dark Sun, a knight of solamnia from Krynn, a Glantrian wizard, and so on. Introduce all the settings at once.

RSIxidor

Explorer
My feeling, with all the setting material already existing for these (on DMs Guild etc), the best way to handle it would be in a Player’s Guide to the Multiverse, and a companion DMs Guide to the Multiverse. The Player’s Guide would naturally provide races, classes and backgrounds for the various settings (and new spells and equipment) . The DMs guide would provide maps, and adventure building advice along with treasure unique to the settings, (and I guess advice and updating old adventures to 5e?)

Do they need more than that? My thinking is that both books would be a good resource even if you’re r not planning to set a game there.
While this sounds like a fantastic set of books, I don't think WOTC is going to go this way. They have enough settings that they could continue releasing in the format they've been releasing for quite a few years. I think that ultimately is a better model for them from a business standpoint. I could see them releasing something like this somewhere down the road for players as a collection of player options (including options already released) but honestly I doubt that as well.

gyor

Adventurer
I'm going to buck the trend and suggest they are going to do Kara Tur and Zakhara next year due to social pressure explore none "Eurocentric" settings and the fact that they are also subsets of the Forgotten Realms Setting makes things easier for them. We might even get Maztica, Karashaka, Osse, Archrome books, but that is less likely.

Other then that I believe Planescape will be next, we've gotten a lot of planar themed subclasses over the years, that haven't showed up yet.

Darksun won`t come out until the Psion is much closer to being ready.

Aldarc

Adventurer
Planescape may get its own Setting/Adventure book (e.g., Greyhawk with Saltmarsh). Then Dark Sun would be the setting book that expands character options, particularly psionics.

Reactions: OB1

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
As a counter point, I wonder how well the Ravnica book did. It seems likely that rather than delve into the depths of D&D they (WotC) would want to mix in the popularity of M:tG and provide those legions of players a fresh option to play in their favorite Magic settings.

I was surprised that they started with Ravnica as it's a rather unconventional setting for D&D style adventuring. Dominaria or Zendikar seem like they would have suited things better.

Note I'm not a Magic player, just a fan of the variety of settings the game offers (and duplicating those world-building efforts seems bizarre to me :) )

Parmandur

Legend
As a counter point, I wonder how well the Ravnica book did. It seems likely that rather than delve into the depths of D&D they (WotC) would want to mix in the popularity of M:tG and provide those legions of players a fresh option to play in their favorite Magic settings.

I was surprised that they started with Ravnica as it's a rather unconventional setting for D&D style adventuring. Dominaria or Zendikar seem like they would have suited things better.

Note I'm not a Magic player, just a fan of the variety of settings the game offers (and duplicating those world-building efforts seems bizarre to me :) )
They did it because it is by far the most popular Magic setting, and it was coming in the card game at the right time. That it is more different was an incentive, as many Magic settings just needed a few pages from Wyatt, Ravnica offers a fully different experience.

Parmandur

Legend
I'm going to buck the trend and suggest they are going to do Kara Tur and Zakhara next year due to social pressure explore none "Eurocentric" settings and the fact that they are also subsets of the Forgotten Realms Setting makes things easier for them. We might even get Maztica, Karashaka, Osse, Archrome books, but that is less likely.

Other then that I believe Planescape will be next, we've gotten a lot of planar themed subclasses over the years, that haven't showed up yet.

Darksun won`t come out until the Psion is much closer to being ready.
Dark Sun might very easily be part of what they meant by "non-Euorpean," throw in a slightly off the Sword Coast AP, like Calishman, and that might be all that they meant.

Parmandur

Legend
I think that Dark Sun is the easy call given their playtesting of various psionic classes, and the long history of psionics in D&D, and the natural fit of psionics as a Dark Sun release.

...it gets murkier after that, though. Part of it is the whole movie IP thing (now it's Goldstein & Daley at the helm?) so, who knows? I mean, if they can announce a movie or tv series with a Dragonlance twist, or relaunch a videogame based on it, I could see DL coming out with the classic (albeit updated) storyline.
The D&D movie is slated for November 2021, which might actually happen. If it turns out to be a Dragonlance movie, releasing a movie tie-in setting book seems a no-brainer.

Dragonlance is interesting, though, because there are two very obvious products they can do: first, a setting book, in the vein of Rising from the Last War or Ravnica, with player options, DM material and monsters (really the new style setting books are supplements for the PHB, the DMG and the MM all rolled together).

But perhaps just as big, a Ghosts of Saltmarsh style product that does the DL modules. Indeed, Weiss and Hickman have been around the WotC offices recently.

Advertisement