D&D and the rising pandemic

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ironically, this could have been how Stonehenge was built.
I just had a vision of some semi-drunk, grunting Romans stacking the stones with excessive use of power and modified simple machines as a tall Scotsman peeks over Hadrian’s Wall* giving the Gaelic equivalent of “Howdy, neighbor!”

* yes, I know it’s not anywhere near, but...

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I just had a vision of some semi-drunk, grunting Romans stacking the stones with excessive use of power and modified simple machines as a tall Scotsman peeks over Hadrian’s Wall* giving the Gaelic equivalent of “Howdy, neighbor!”

* yes, I know it’s not anywhere near, but...
Two Scotsmen quietly taking bets with each other how long before one of the stones falls over and if some guy tries to catch it before it hits the ground.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Hmm, the Space Aliens really loved the tropics and the Southern Hemisphere, but wouldn't touch Europe or North America. Its like they were a bunch of snobs, or they didn't appreciate the possibilities for Winter Olympic sports during the Ice Age. Such close-minded folks.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I live near a university and nope they might as well be labeled COVID19 hot spot they pull these young people in from all over and pack them in buildings together then they wander down town in clusters without masks.
Family member away at college - the students are being kept on campus - reports a roommate, on the swim team, was part of a contact trace of somebody else (another swimmer? I'm not sure) who might have got it. "We'll get back to you when their test comes back." Nobody in the room gets any sleep that night of course. Next day news returns: test was negative, go on with your life. Nothing like an emotional yo-yo to go along with midterms.

The school administration just was handed on a silver platter the motivation to find out how long Coronaviruses can survive in chlorinated water. All they have to do is organize the study and dip a few gallons out of the pool.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

In a followup study inspired by prior research, it looks like certain mouthwashes may inactivate coronaviruses in the mouth and throat. C19 was NOT part of the test, but the researchers noted that all coronaviruses have very similar membranes- the very structure the mouthwashes compromise, and by doing so, inactivate the coronaviruses. Once the viruses get past the mouth/throat, mouthwashes would be ineffective.

While they said that more research is needed, the researchers indicated that use of these products is a low-risk prophylactic against infection.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Not only that, but if aliens came and gave us instructions on how to build pyramids, why did they give us the wrong information which led to the bent pyramid. Seems like a space faring civilisation wouldn't make such a basic mistake.
I don't know. You should see some of the stuff I end up with after following Ikea instructions. That pyramid could have been user error and not the alien's fault. ;)

briggart

Adventurer
Add a cup of racism to the mix as the narrative of "had to be aliens" was really a function of "us white people don't know how to make a pyramid without our technology so the brown people must've had alien help."
There's a bit more than that. The three pyramids at Giza are among the first being built. We know of several (10-15?) later pyramids which are all smaller and/or collapsed, which fit the narrative of "aliens came, help us build the pyramids, left, and we were never able to build something like that on our own".

briggart

Adventurer
Two Scotsmen quietly taking bets with each other how long before one of the stones falls over and if some guy tries to catch it before it hits the ground.
"Let's build an henge or two."

Edit: NSFW
Edit2: Fixed link. Doh!
Edit3: Funny vid, but not grandma friendly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads