• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D and who it's aimed at

Retreater

Legend
Well, because you have the protagonist who overturns the bad guys and ushers in a period of peace and prosperity?

Peasants barely eking out a marginal existence? Where do you find that in Conan? Conan is filled with peasants getting along perfectly fine in towns and farms and mostly living out their lives normally. There's no blasted earth, no famine, wars are generally local no large diseases. What dystopia?
If we're talking about the stories, Conan was a miserable king. He hated the corruption of civilization.
You had the dead empires of Stygia. The barbaric
Picts.
I don't know if what you're reading was de Camp's Conan or something, but Howard's was exceptionally bleak - a world perpetually spiralling to darkness.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, because you have the protagonist who overturns the bad guys and ushers in a period of peace and prosperity?

But the world he starts in then is run by the dad guys, isn't it?

There's no blasted earth

Weird, when most of Conan the Barbarian seems to take place in the desert.

no famine, wars are generally local no large diseases. What dystopia?

"Civilization, ancient and wicked. Have you ever seen it before?"

Yeah, a happy, well-adjusted culture in a verdant land where folks generally have enough...

I thought Dark Sun was more Sword and Sandals than Sword and Sorcery? (just kidding)

I don't think you need desert for Sword and Sorcery, adventures like Tomb of Annihilation and Rime of the Frostmaiden could both work as part of the genre if you wanted.

Remove ads