D&D Art across the editions

dave2008

Legend
I think the Elmore BECMI covers are probably the pinnacle for me - could be nostalgia, I guess, but I just love those covers (except maybe the "I" cover.).
I think there is some nostalgia involved. I really liked those covers as they were D&D for me (and I love dragons), but I don't think they have aged as well and they are definitely not his best work. I still like them, but I think his dragons tend to be a bit goofy - so maybe I am biased.

Here is a little artwork I did when I was a child (in the 80's), both dragons have a strong Elmore influence (one directly from the Companions cover). I can't remember the red dragon model, but it was elmore too.
ElmoreDragons.JPG

jp-box3-2nd.jpg

Last edited:

Parmandur

Legend
The only art that is bad in 5e is some technically lacking pieces where the anatomy is pretty bad.

The half-elf with oddball eye proportions, the bard IIRC is wonky in some way, the Gnome Ranger’s head looks like it goes straight back from the hairline instead of having a domed curve like a head should, etc.

Other than that, at worst you get “not quite top tier fantasy art”.
Are these the pictures in question...?

636274618102950794.png

097ba2b38710af25975d6a6f82a2e629.jpg

downloadfile.png

Not sure about the Half-Elves there, but the Gnome seems in line with the particulars of Forest Gnome physiology as they've done it for 5E, though less in-your-fave compared to he Halfling deign is pretty distinct.

dave2008

Legend
But the artist who did the halfling (and half orc and warlock)? I find it awful.
I assume you are talking about the tree images below? I get why people despise the halfing, but what don't you like about the half-orc and warlock art? I don't particularly like paintly style as I like a more precise and detail look, but I think that art is pretty darn good. I would never thing of it as "awful." What is awful to you in the half-orc and warlock?
Halfling
5e_Halfing.JPG

Half-Orc
5e_HalfOrc.JPG

Warlock
5e_Warlock.JPG

Aebir-Toril

std::cout << "Hi" << '\n';
I assume you are talking about the tree images below? I get why people despise the halfing, but what don't you like about the half-orc and warlock art? I don't particularly like paintly style as I like a more precise and detail look, but I think that art is pretty darn good. I would never thing of it as "awful." What is awful to you in the half-orc and warlock?
Not the person you were replying to, but I like the Warlock quite a bit. However, the others looks to vague and icky to me. Almost a bit to "paint-like" No offense to the artist, as I can't draw to save my life.

However, people at my table have commented that the Warlock looks like a child. As for what can be said of that, I'm not sure.

dave2008

Legend
Not the person you were replying to, but I like the Warlock quite a bit. However, the others looks to vague and icky to me. Almost a bit to "paint-like" No offense to the artist, as I can't draw to save my life.

However, people at my table have commented that the Warlock looks like a child. As for what can be said of that, I'm not sure.
Ya, as i mentioned i am not overly found of the more "painterly" style of a lot of 5e art, but I oddly think the art direction(?) is more my taste then 4e art which generally had a more precise and detailed style. My ideal would be a combination of the two. I think the red dragon in the MM pulls off waht I am looking for really well actually.

Aebir-Toril

std::cout << "Hi" << '\n';
Ya, as i mentioned i am not overly found of the more "painterly" style of a lot of 5e art, but I oddly think the art direction(?) is more my taste then 4e art which generally had a more precise and detailed style. My ideal would be a combination of the two. I think the red dragon in the MM pulls off waht I am looking for really well actually.
I agree completely. Actually, in general, I think that Tyler Jacobson does pretty good pieces (he did a lot of the covers), and the realistic but clean look (the Red Dragon from the MM) is my favorite look.

Not too paint-like, and not too stylized.

dave2008

Legend
I agree completely. Actually, in general, I think that Tyler Jacobson does pretty good pieces (he did a lot of the covers), and the realistic but clean look (the Red Dragon from the MM) is my favorite look.

Not too paint-like, and not too stylized.
Yep, I just checked out Tyler's website and his style is right in line with what Iike. I had forgotten about his magnificent cover for VGtM.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Are these the pictures in question...?

View attachment 116477
View attachment 116478
View attachment 116479

Not sure about the Half-Elves there, but the Gnome seems in line with the particulars of Forest Gnome physiology as they've done it for 5E, though less in-your-fave compared to he Halfling deign is pretty distinct.
I was mistaken on the first one. I was thinking of the phb wood elf, I think.

The bard is a great image, but there is something off with their hand that bothers me.

The gnome is perfect except for the top of her head, which...isn’t shaped like a head.

doctorbadwolf

That Warlock is a ton ten image for me, in 5e art.

doctorbadwolf

What does that mean?
Typo. Or weird autocorrect issue, since it often changes correctly spelled words to other correctly spelled words for entirely mysterious reasons. It was “top ten” when I typed it.
I really do like the Warlock a lot. Many people have commented to me that the warlock is the best depiction of a class member in the PHB.
For sure. It does an excellent job showing a Warlock, and it looks like a character I want to know about. It inspires characters, as well. I’ve seen warlocks based on her at game tables.

Parmandur

Legend
I was mistaken on the first one. I was thinking of the phb wood elf, I think.

The bard is a great image, but there is something off with their hand that bothers me.

The gnome is perfect except for the top of her head, which...isn’t shaped like a head.
Not like a real human head,but consistent with the 5E Gnome skill design:

5E-Halfling-C-1.jpg

downloadfile-4.jpg

Eberron-Rising-from-the-Last-War.jpg

doctorbadwolf

Parmandur

Legend
It’s not consistent at all. The skull would have to go nearly flat at the top for that shape to make sense. No other gnome art does that. The balding gnome you posted has a nice round dome head.

And in case it isn’t clear, I like the image in spite of that flaw, but it is a flaw.
It's certainly indicative of the somewhat surrealist character design, which can go odd.

Hussar

Legend
That first picture isn't a gnome, it's a halfling. At least, that's what it says when I mouse over the image. Or, did I miss a point ... errr...

Advertisement