D&D General D&D Art across the editions

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It's certainly indicative of the somewhat surrealist character design, which can go odd.
Maybe. I think it doesn’t look surreal at all, so my conclusion is that the artist just flubbed the anatomy a bit. Not the end of the world, but some further training in hairlines and tracing the skull before drawing the hair might be in order, there.
That first picture isn't a gnome, it's a halfling. At least, that's what it says when I mouse over the image. Or, did I miss a point ... errr...
One of the few good 5e halflings before the last couple books lol

Sacrosanct

Legend
Maybe not the warlock one, but the half orc for sure I find awful, like the halfling. ive probably hired dozens of freelancers for hundreds of pieces of art over the years, and if that was submitted to me, I’d assume it wasn’t finished and was just a rough draft. Look at the bard, for comparison shown upthread. So much cleaner and complete.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe. I think it doesn’t look surreal at all, so my conclusion is that the artist just flubbed the anatomy a bit. Not the end of the world, but some further training in hairlines and tracing the skull before drawing the hair might be in order, there.

One of the few good 5e halflings before the last couple books lol

I found this bit from the original artist including some concept art: the head shape was a concious decision, though certainly in terms of final effect YMMV:

5e89224aa81e4a6b967d775dba574f18.jpg

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe not the warlock one, but the half orc for sure I find awful, like the halfling. ive probably hired dozens of freelancers for hundreds of pieces of art over the years, and if that was submitted to me, I’d assume it wasn’t finished and was just a rough draft. Look at the bard, for comparison shown upthread. So much cleaner and complete.

Or the Paladin piece:

636272701937419552.png

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I disagree that it looks unfinished. Definitely a different style from most of the PHB, though.
I found this bit from the original artist including some concept art: the head shape was a concious decision, though certainly in terms of final effect YMMV:

View attachment 116487
Welp. That is...a hell of a decision.

oreofox

Explorer
What do you think of the images posted in this thread? Of all the editions I think 5e as the best art represented in the full page spreads. Also, i think the red dragon image is the best and the storm giant is on par with 1e IMO (as the 2 best). I also really like the carrion crawler and the pit fiend is acceptable. I prefer the 3e minotaur the best and probably the 1e or 3e pit fiend (really don't like the painterly style of the 5e one). I also think the 5e medusa is the best though the 1e image reminds me a Clash of the Titans.

I guess I can understand not liking certain pieces and that turning me off to an "edition" of art, but this projects has pretty much convinced me that 5e has the best art of any edition. I mean it is right here in this post PHB, DMG, & MM. I didn't know what the result would be when I started this and I was honestly surprised how much better, IMO, the 5e art was than the previous editions.

However, what is has also made me realize is that some of the best art of previous editions was not in the core books.

I do like the red dragon for 5e, and of the giants, the one you chose looks good. Compare it to the other giants, and the others look terrible. They kinda look washed out. As for the full page spreads? None in the 5e appealed to me, though the prismatic spray against all the chuul I did like. The rest looked too "artsy" like something a snooty art school teacher would approve of. My tastes are different. I don't like the oil painting style 5e seems to have, which is funny as I am rather certain most are digitally painted, while the ones made before digital painting (2e and 1e) have a more clean and clearer look, and don't look like actual paint.

As for Pathfinder, the majority of that art is closer to the art I enjoy. I prefer the more illustration, comic book, animation style of visuals, which is the opposite of a lot of 5e art. Steve Prescott was one of my favorite artists WotC used in 3e, while Jarvis was one of the ones I didn't care for. https://img.fireden.net/tg/image/1459/45/1459457472253.jpg is an example of his art. Not my cup of tea. And to me, a lot of 5e art resembles that. My sister LOVES DiTerlizzi and the stuff he did for Planescape. I personally hate his art and was one reason I steered clear of Planescape until the end of 3e's lifespan.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I do like the red dragon for 5e, and of the giants, the one you chose looks good. Compare it to the other giants, and the others look terrible. They kinda look washed out. As for the full page spreads? None in the 5e appealed to me, though the prismatic spray against all the chuul I did like. The rest looked too "artsy" like something a snooty art school teacher would approve of. My tastes are different. I don't like the oil painting style 5e seems to have, which is funny as I am rather certain most are digitally painted, while the ones made before digital painting (2e and 1e) have a more clean and clearer look, and don't look like actual paint.

As for Pathfinder, the majority of that art is closer to the art I enjoy. I prefer the more illustration, comic book, animation style of visuals, which is the opposite of a lot of 5e art. Steve Prescott was one of my favorite artists WotC used in 3e, while Jarvis was one of the ones I didn't care for. https://img.fireden.net/tg/image/1459/45/1459457472253.jpg is an example of his art. Not my cup of tea. And to me, a lot of 5e art resembles that. My sister LOVES DiTerlizzi and the stuff he did for Planescape. I personally hate his art and was one reason I steered clear of Planescape until the end of 3e's lifespan.
Oh, I love DiTerlizzi's style, but I understand that his gothic style can be somewhat unnerving, perfect for a horror game!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I disagree that it looks unfinished. Definitely a different style from most of the PHB, though.

Welp. That is...a hell of a decision.

It certainly works better in other cases, such as the Gnome pickpocket, but it is the result of the design Bible on an anatomically alien race being applied unevenly, I think.

Remove ads