D&D based MMORPG

Would you buy and play a D&D version of a MMORPG?

• I would definitely subscribe to it

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • I would definitely not subscribe to it

Votes: 33 45.2%
  • I would only subscribe to it if I like the setting

Votes: 27 37.0%

Sigmund

First Post
I understand...

I have had similar experiences in my time playing EQ, but I guess I was lucky, because I hooked up with a guild of folks who were really awesome to play the game with. Although we might not have rped as strictly as in a TT game, we still had a blast playing. I agree wholeheartedly about the allegience BS from AC...hated that. What I did in EQ was pretty much the same thing I do irl....ignore the morons, hang with people I like, and try to be friendly and helpful and considerate. I'd just like to see an interpretation, in 1st person view, of a DnD world that I remember from my youth :)

hong

WotC's bitch
Mistwell said:

Do you even know you are no longer speaking english?

D00d, nobody here is speaking English. They speak Geekish, which is almost, but not quite, completely unlike English.

Black Omega

First Post
Doubt I'd play it, really. Greyhawk doesn't interest me much and I don't have the time for a MMORPG. I'm surprised it's not a project already in the works though.

maddman75

First Post
I've ran into the same problems. The idea of MMORPG is a good one, they just have had bad execution due to the moron factor. If someone could come up with one that allowed roleplay and actually had a feeling of getting somewhere (other than getting a bunch of levels and gear) while keeping it from degenerating into a mess of leet speaking, clique-forming, spawn camping nonsense then I'd buy it. The paticular licensing has nothing to do with it.

Sigmund

First Post
maddman75 said:
I've ran into the same problems. The idea of MMORPG is a good one, they just have had bad execution due to the moron factor. If someone could come up with one that allowed roleplay and actually had a feeling of getting somewhere (other than getting a bunch of levels and gear) while keeping it from degenerating into a mess of leet speaking, clique-forming, spawn camping nonsense then I'd buy it. The paticular licensing has nothing to do with it.

There's a text-based rpg called Harshlands set in Harn, and it is exactly as you describe. The unfortunate thing is that the way they keep the game strictly role-playing is by using a VERY strict policy that will get a player swiftly banned for deviating from the rules. What makes this unfortunate is that as long as a game's developer is at all interested in actually making money, they will never go to this extreme. Also, the policy has had the effect of severely limiting the online population, making it sometimes impossible to find anyone to rp with. They even go so far as to make a character's death permanent...if your character dies, you lose everything he had....gear, experience...everything. Ya have to start a brand new character......imagine EQ fiends trying to deal with that ;)

eldoen

First Post
sigmund,

That would be a good thing, IMO:) But that is also the nature of the HARN game.

Unfortunately until speech becomes a second nature thing on the web. People will use short hand speak for typing. At least it is more than 3 characters, back in the days of 300 baud modems and 25 dollar an hour access, the shorthand was quite small.

Unfortunately that shorthand, is second nature to some of us, that we don't even recognize we are typing it.

just some thoughts.

El

Sigmund

First Post
eldoen said:
sigmund,

That would be a good thing, IMO:) But that is also the nature of the HARN game.

Unfortunately until speech becomes a second nature thing on the web. People will use short hand speak for typing. At least it is more than 3 characters, back in the days of 300 baud modems and 25 dollar an hour access, the shorthand was quite small.

Unfortunately that shorthand, is second nature to some of us, that we don't even recognize we are typing it.

just some thoughts.

El

I initially thought it was a good thing...until I would walk around the game world for hours and be the only one connected......it feels kinda silly to role-play all by myself :)

I actually am starting a TT campaign in Harn, which I've been thinking about/working on for a long time. In fact....there's a UO shard some guys are trying to start up set in Harn.....it's called Ab Initio I believe.

Remove ads