D&D Beyond Cancellations Changed WotCs Plans

Gizmodo has revealed that the partial OGL v1.1 walkback yesterday was in response to the fan campaign to cancel D&D Beyond subscriptions, with "five digits" worth of cancellations. However, the site also reveals that management at the company believed that fans were overreating and that it would all be forgotten in a few months. In order to delete a D&D Beyond account entirely, users are...

DD-beyond-2364798935.jpg

Gizmodo has revealed that the partial OGL v1.1 walkback yesterday was in response to the fan campaign to cancel D&D Beyond subscriptions, with "five digits" worth of cancellations. However, the site also reveals that management at the company believed that fans were overreating and that it would all be forgotten in a few months.

In order to delete a D&D Beyond account entirely, users are funneled into a support system that asks them to submit tickets to be handled by customer service: Sources from inside Wizards of the Coast confirm that earlier this week there were “five digits” worth of complaining tickets in the system. Both moderation and internal management of the issues have been “a mess,” they said, partially due to the fact that WotC has recently downsized the D&D Beyond support team.

Yesterday's walkback removed the royalties from the license, but still 'de-authorized' the OGL v1.0a, something which may or may not be legally possible, depending on who you ask.

The morality clause is a smokescreen. See the racist Hadozee text and art put out by WotC. The NFT clause is a smokescreen. See the old news that Hasbro sells NFTs. Etc.
okay, but those smoke screens are GOOD changes, so if we have to have changes those should stay while we argue for not having predatory fees and maybe to give more then 6 months to change wheels (I mean 6 months is okay but I see no reason they can't give until the 50th and the big new edition)

raniE

Adventurer
okay, but those smoke screens are GOOD changes, so if we have to have changes those should stay while we argue for not having predatory fees and maybe to give more then 6 months to change wheels (I mean 6 months is okay but I see no reason they can't give until the 50th and the big new edition)
No, they're not. No one could make a D&D NFT as it was, all the product identity is unavailable under the OGL. What's WotC going to do, stop someone from making an NFT of a picture of a random wizard? The only people ready to make D&D NFTs are Hasbro, and they can do it whatever the OGL says.

No, they're not. No one could make a D&D NFT as it was, all the product identity is unavailable under the OGL. What's WotC going to do, stop someone from making an NFT of a picture of a random wizard? The only people ready to make D&D NFTs are Hasbro, and they can do it whatever the OGL says.
I can't really say I understand what the point of NFTs is, but could you take this text from the SRD, write it onto the token, pair it with some artwork, and try to sell it to kids, many of whom are already buying such things from unscrupulous digital game publishers?

Vorpal Sword​

Weapon (any sword that deals slashing damage), legendary (requires attunement)

You gain a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. In addition, the weapon ignores resistance to slashing damage.

When you attack a creature that has at least one head with this weapon and roll a 20 on the attack roll, you cut off one of the creature's heads. The creature dies if it can't survive without the lost head. A creature is immune to this effect if it is immune to slashing damage, doesn't have or need a head, has legendary actions, or the GM decides that the creature is too big for its head to be cut off with this weapon. Such a creature instead takes an extra 6d8 slashing damage from the hit.

No, they're not. No one could make a D&D NFT as it was, all the product identity is unavailable under the OGL.
I mean I don't really care about (or even fully understand why anyone uses) NFTs, I was thinking the hate speach thing that everyone keeps saying isn't something people really care about.
What's WotC going to do, stop someone from making an NFT of a picture of a random wizard? The only people ready to make D&D NFTs are Hasbro, and they can do it whatever the OGL says.

ValamirCleaver

Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz
I watch as people pretend any change is the worst thing ever... so yeah, I ignore everything you said
Are you avoid addressing any of the relevant points I made because you're unable to find even one specific example of disparaging depictions of "G* word" Romani or depictions the "final solution" in any OGL release in the past 22½ years? Are you attempting to cast anyone unhappy with any the potential de-authorizatrion of OGL 1.0a as being okay with racism, homophobia, etc...?

Remove ads

Remove ads