D&D Beyond is doing a OGL 1.2 FAQ on Twitter

see

Pedantic Grognard
That's uncalled for when you're discussing a product developed by a tiny third-party outfit that has (as far as I am aware) almost no associated promotional activity.
Your inference that I'm saying he should have known about it is incorrect and unwarranted. It is perfectly reasonable for someone to have missed any mention of Orcus over the last more-than-a-year. I simply, and specifically, pointed out its existence, and then pointed out when it was released in the sense of being available for download and announced here on EnWorld.

And in point of fact, the published book did, in fact, only come out this past January 9th.
The idea that a PDF/collection of PDFs doesn't count as "released" until it's been re-presented as a printed book is at least theoretically defensible, but not a definition I think fits the modern era of game publishing. If it's up on a website available for download, and the creator has announced its availability on threads on several high-traffic websites, I think it needs to be counted as released.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
January 5th 2022 is a year more than a week and a half ago.
That's when the thread was started. While it was still in development.

I wasn't joking when I said it actually released a week and a half ago: January 9, 2023. I was quite thorough in checking my dates.

Your inference that I'm saying he should have known about it is incorrect and unwarranted. It is perfectly reasonable for someone to have missed any mention of Orcus over the last more-than-a-year. I simply, and specifically, pointed out its existence, and then pointed out when it was released in the sense of being available for download and announced here on EnWorld.

The idea that a PDF/collection of PDFs doesn't count as "released" until it's been re-presented as a printed book is at least theoretically defensible, but not a definition I think fits the modern era of game publishing. If it's up on a website available for download, and the creator has announced its availability on threads on several high-traffic websites, I think it needs to be counted as released.
And I disagree. A game in Early Access is not released, even if people can download and play it. An RPG in playtest--which is what Orcus was, and I knew that it was--is not yet released. Release means something.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
The FAQ is on the D&D Beyond website too. I found this interesting and encourging:

Will additional content be added to the Creative Commons license and OGL 1.2?

Yes. We are looking at adding previous edition content to both the CC and OGL 1.2. We wanted to get this into your hands for feedback ASAP and focused on 5.1, but look for more content to be included throughout these discussions.

Remove ads