• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Beyond Launches

darjr

I crit!
I run from my ipad and Tomb has been fantastic from the web interface on my ipad. the app interface isn't there yet. Mainly because of a lack of tabbed "browsing" but I hear it's coming. I love the books and will get the special covers but I'm also going to invest in DDB as well. The Beta is fantastic for reading and just a little bit away for using to run from.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Their character sheet is still subpar IMHO.

It is not hero lab, but i hope that it gets there. I find it hard in game to get what I need. Inventory management is especially clunky.

I also wish it tracked conditions better. For example, you can note that your character is exhausted, but not at what level and so you have to track that and its effects somewhere else.

The printed character sheet sucks. Trying to fit everything into the PDF format used by the standard WotC PDF is impossible.

fjw70

Adventurer
I have found the character sheets work very well, but I am not used to other online sheets so maybe by comparison it is worse.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Dnd beyond is currently testing a new sheet. Stay tuned.

I check the change-log page daily. :)

I've kinda been bashing DnD Beyond, but my son will only use the DnD Beyond character sheet, thinks paper character sheets are dumb, and I doesn't like using HeroLab on the iPad. The DnD Beyond character sheet aesthetic and responsive design seems to be received better by those who grew up and live on the Internet. Much of what I like about the HeroLab, actually, is the ability to print to a very useful paper charactersheet, where I can track resources with pencil and paper like a caveman.

Still, I find the HeroLab interface easier for me to use on the iPad than DnD Beyond (whether on iPhone, iPad, or Laptop). I find I have to spend a lot more time hunting around trying to find things in DnD Beyond. It is not just me, I've been listening to the new season of Critical Role. DnD Beyond is sponsoring and the players are using it and frequently have trouble figuring out where to update things in game.

Remove ads