• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC D&D Beyond Update: 2024 Core Rulebooks, Maps, and Third Party Content.

Lots of feature improvements to maps.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 17.14.39.png

Maps has a number of updates.
  • Lots of feature improvements to maps--tokens, fog, and user interface.
  • 'Spectator Mode' allows DMs to open a separate tab as a player view on a separate monitor, streaming, etc.
  • 'Draw Tool' allows you to freehand draw on the map.
  • 6 products from back catalogue plus third party content added to library.
  • Pointer added.
  • You can now rename a token.
  • Enhancement and support will include the 2024 core rulebooks.
Maps is 'here to stay' and will continue to be supported.

Regarding third party products, apparently they are inviting 'many third parties to the party'.

pukunui

Legend
I don’t want all that automation. I kinda don’t want to need it have it either.
Me neither. Yeah, those bells and whistles are cool, but I'd prefer to keep it simple. If/when Maps can do layers, I'll be all over it.

(Yes, I have sent them feedback asking for a layers feature.)

I wouldn't be surprised if they add spell effects as a feature later on, although I suspect they won't be animated.

Stalker0

Legend
So I am just using the map program completely wrong? When I go on there, I find a few basic maps, a handful of monster tokens, no player tokens (when I go to the area it just refreshes forever). I know its in alpha, but it feels like I'm missing something more fundamental

So far this is all very crude compared to the more advanced Virtual Table Tops out there. Right now our groups are using Foundry. You cast fireball through your character sheet, which deducts the spell slot from your character sheet and then gives the player a template to place on the map. Once placed, the fireball then automatically is applied to all creatures in the area of effect, rolls their saves automatically, adjusts any applicable resistances, and applies damage on DM clicking approved. It then shows a fireball, with a sound effect, and you see people being harmed by it.

Here is a brief example:

It's in alpha. It's not going to have bells and whistles yet while they are working on basic functionality!

pukunui

Legend
So I am just using the map program completely wrong? When I go on there, I find a few basic maps, a handful of monster tokens, no player tokens (when I go to the area it just refreshes forever). I know its in alpha, but it feels like I'm missing something more fundamental
You have to have a campaign loaded to get player tokens.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It's in alpha. It's not going to have bells and whistles yet while they are working on basic functionality!
Oh I entirely agree. People were saying what they wanted for templates, and I am replying with what the templates look like and do on other VTTs that, I think, we can expect for this VTT eventually.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Do you own any content? and do you have an active campaign. You should see maps for any content you have bought or free stuff you have claimed. You can see all monsters at the moment but can only use tokens for one from sources you own.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yeah, me too.

You have to have a campaign loaded to get player tokens.

I think that's dumb. Most of my players don't have characters on DDB. I'd rather just create/pick tokens for them.

Remove ads

Remove ads