D&D 5E D&D Beyond - What's it for?

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
Just to add a bit...
First, regarding the comments on the various free or inexpensive apps and options that are already available. Those are either based on the SRD alone and therefore limited in content, or they are using the full datasets illegally. Or, I suppose, the tools themselves are legal, and there are crowd or user-generated databases that add the full content. DDB is ultimately just another option, but one that is legal and endorsed by Wizards. For many, that may not matter.

As it is right now, we'll get a digital rules compendium, fully searchable, cross-linked and filterable. This is in contrast to just a PDF of the books, which is all many people may want, but WotC refuses to offer. IMO, this is infinitely more useful than a PDF. Granted - at this point it is online only. They have said that offline apps are coming very soon, but even then, it isn't a PDF that you can save and archive to guard against losing access to it should DBB shut down in the future. Again, many people are vehemently opposed to this as a result. My feeling is that if you are unhappy with this business model, you are free to NOT partake, and can continue to use the illegal PDFs that are easy enough to find online.

DDB also currently features a character builder and homebrew creation tools - just monsters, spells and items for now, but confirmed to expand to races/sub-races, sub-classes, backgrounds and feats over time. Full classes are not likely due to the complexity, apparently. These let you either build from scratch, or start with an existing monster or whatever and modify it as desired.

Finally, they are committed to building out the suite of campaign management tools, but it is essentially non-existent at this point. They've said they'll be adding encounter building tools, an initiative tracker and other things as development continues.

As of today, the only available content is that which Wizards has published for free - the Basic Rules, SRD and Elemental Evil Players Companion. This will always be free to use, as it is now. On Aug 15 everything goes live and you will be able to purchase all other official content (full PHB, DMG, MM, SCAG, Volo's and all adventures) in a variety of permutations - full books integrated into the tool set, non-integrated digital compendium only content, subsets like a specific class, race, spell, item, etc. You will NOT get any sort of discount or free code for owning a physical book already. Like Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds, DDB is owned and developed by a third party who is licensing the rights to the official content, so the fact that you own a book is irrelevant.

All the content you purchase is usable without needing to also pay for a subscription. With a free account, you get access to all the tools, 6 character slots and can make and use your OWN homebrew content (which includes manually entering any official content you don't want to pay for). For $2.99, you get a Hero Tier subscription, which will remove ads from the site, give you unlimited character slots and allow you to use other peoples published homebrew content. (Note that you cannot publish official or copyrighted content, the process is moderated, so no getting around purchasing the real stuff that way). Finally for $5.99 is a Master Tier subscription. Same personal benefits as Hero, but you also can share any of your purchased content with up to 36 other people (3 campaigns of 12) to use to build characters. You create a campaign page that you share the link to, and anyone in the campaign can then cross-share any content that any of the group has purchased. So, if the DM has the core books and the adventure, but one guy wants a monster race from Volo's, HE can buy that book and the group then has access. The cost burden doesn't fall completely on the DM.

What else... they have indicated they are in talks with other 3rd party publishers to integrate their content eventually (DMs Guild, Kobold Press, etc). No Unearthed Arcana right now, but again, something they are working on adding.

Right now, it's essentially the digital books/compendium, character builder and limited homebrew tools - people need to understand that up front. The campaign tools are not there yet, only promised, so there is a risk in investing too much now, only to be disappointed in what is eventually developed. It will NOT be a VTT like Roll20 or FG -
no maps, etc. It's meant to aid prep and play at the table. For myself, I see it as worth it already simply for the ease of use and reference both for session prep and at the table and I have faith that the promised tools will come in time. Everything they've promised so far has exceeded my expectations and Curse has been super responsive to user feedback. I see no reason for that to change.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
What bothers me most about this feature being added is there is no good reason you should need this. A well-written adventure would have inline monster stats right there in the encounter.

A majority of games are homebrew. You can buy the adventure through DnDBeyond if it's pre-written, but if I am running a game off the cuff and I throw a manticore and my players, it'd be nice if I can just make a manticore stats pop up.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
A majority of games are homebrew. You can buy the adventure through DnDBeyond if it's pre-written, but if I am running a game off the cuff and I throw a manticore and my players, it'd be nice if I can just make a manticore stats pop up.

Currently we just search our illegal .pdfs.

Only takes a second or so, though the guilt will be with us forever.

Forever..

GwaihirAgain

Explorer
Our group all pitched in 40 bucks and bought a subscription and a bunch of books this summer. Overall the feedback has ranged from super positive, "Best thing we've ever done." to indifferent.

As DM for one of the two campaigns that our group runs, I really like that I can look at my PC characters anytime I want, and its also a big win that I can access the books any time during the day.

We've used the encounter app during games some, but I'm not sure that is a thumbs up yet. Im starting to include links to google docs in the campaign page, which is helpful with campaign management. And the dice roller that everyone can see during the game (gamelog) is a positive.

Nine Hands

Explorer
Even though this is a necrothread, I will mention that the character builder/management is top notch and being able to create monsters and pull them right into the encounter tool is perfect. Homebrewing spells and magic items is excellent as well.

The Beyond 20 Chrome Extension allows you to use D&D Beyond directly in Roll20 or Foundry. I played a campaign for a year and it was excellent.

Lyxen

Great Old One
/sing Beyond! Huh! Good God y’all! What is good for? Absolutely nothing!
The fact is that if you want digital editions, it's the only choice that you have if you don't want to pirate everything. There are tons of things on DDB that I dislike, but having the capability to search and come up straight up with the creature or spell or item I'm looking for is totally invaluable, as is the capacity to store homebrew in a consistent place where I can access it exactly the same way as the rest.

And with the VTT link of Beyond20, it was incredible in particular for the Covid period, less so now that we are back to face-to-face.

Remove ads