D&D Campaign Case: Terrain Review

While D&D 5E can easily be played theater of the mind style, playing with minis is very popular, so WotC's latest release, the D&D Campaign Case: Terrain provides an alternative to a vinyl battle map. It can be used with the D&D Campaign Case: Creatures or with your own minis.
D&D Campaign Case Terrain_Outer Box.png
Like the creature case, the terrain case is heavy, so the outer box is glued shut, so you can't take a peek at your local game store. Inside the outer box is a thick cardboard “keepsake box” with a satin rope handle for easy carrying. Also like the creature case, a strong magnetic flap on the side with the rope handle keeps it securely shut. The keepsake box design is black with metallic sapphire blue ink. It's very attractive and should hold up to reasonable wear and tear (but I wouldn't put it down in a puddle of water).
D&D Campaign Case Terrain_Family Shot.png

What's Inside​

Inside, you'll find a matching blue-and-black folder containing five sheets of full-color vinyl clings of various terrain types and objects, like trees, shrubs, campfires, coffins, tents, staircases, and more. The vinyl clings can be applied to the grids, removed, re-positioned, or returned to their original sheets for future use.

Speaking of grids, the terrain case offers two options. A folding, 22-inch by 25.5-inch “Adventure Grid” is one battle map version. The case also comes with 30 5”x5” interlocking tiles that can be put together in whatever configuration you want or paired with the big Adventure Grid for an especially epic battle. Both options are double sided with wilderness on one side and dungeon/stone on the other, and the grids are sized to be used with standard minis or the creature case tokens.

Like the other campaign case, the terrain case has a top tray with plenty of room for additional vinyl cling sheets, if WotC produces them, or incidental notes. Or you could add the sheets from the creature case and a few handfuls of token discs to the top tray and only carry one case to your game. The tray also has a ribbon attached to make it easy to pull out. Below that tray, the interlocking terrain tiles are wrapped in thick paper to protect them, though they fit comfortably snug in their trays to minimize bouncing.

4 sheets.jpg

Overall​

Overall, the package is nicely done. The titles and folding grid are thick, laminated cardboard so they'll stand up well to routine wear and tear. Water spilled on top shouldn't be a problem, especially if wiped up promptly, but the sides of the tiles and Adventure Grid are exposed cardboard so if a drink is spilled on the table you might want to grab the tiles/grid quickly so the sides don't absorb the liquid.

While the Campaign Case: Creatures had a nice variety of creatures, it didn't include every option in the Monster Manual, let alone those from later books. The variety of terrain items and objects in this set feels more complete as is, though I'm sure the D&D team could come up with lots of ideas for supplemental sheets to purchase, especially for the recently released Spelljammers: Adventures in Space (hint, hint, WotC). Vinyl clings of spelljammer ships would be cool. Similarly, third-party companies could product reusable vinyl clings of other terrain options if WotC doesn't (hint, hint).

I really liked the Campaign Case: Creatures, and it's a great solution for those without the storage space and/or finances for a full range of minis. A battle map, by contrast, is easy to store so the Campaign Case: Terrain is less of a problem solver. A few dry erase markers on a vinyl battle map can do a lot, but if you want a more polished approach or the ability to swap map elements faster than can typically done by drawing on a battle map, the terrain case is also an excellent solution.

While less essential than the creature case, in terms of quality of design, components, and general usefulness, the Campaign Case: Terrain rates basically the same – between a B+ and A-. The final grade depends upon mapping tastes and style, which for me, varies. Still, the vinyl cling terrain looks very nice and prevents confusion due to bad drawings and for that alone it might be an A-.

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

DragonBelow

Adventurer
Beyond baffling that they haven't made these available digitally for VTT use.
They have a different name, but they are the same illustrations:

darjr

I crit!

Well cool.
There ya go!

Haplo781

Legend

These don't have the standalone decals, which is kind of the whole point of the Campaign Case.

TheSword

Legend
I’ve had challenges using clings. They seem to dry out and roll up when I’ve had them. Maybe because of the lack of easy storage afterwards (the sheets they come on have precise outlines that you can never match up)

Although I love this stuff, I found it added way too much prep time to layout all the pieces, which often then get scattered with an accidental move. dry-erase with a blank grid map has always been easier and quicker.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
True Darjr, the older versions were just thick cardboard and like doc mentioned, bumps to the table would send those moving but these are shaped pieces to puzzle piece together and may not move tiles out of place as they all would move a bit.

Stormonu

Legend
Nice! I recently picked up the creature set, and this is an unexpected addition.

I feel like I'm going to be playing D&D Colorforms back from the 80's.

1662151592140.png

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases