D&D Cartoon DVD

Thad Enouf

First Post
I'm renting them through Netflix. Although I have gotten past the initial nostalgia factor and stopped watching the episodes, my kids are CRAZY about the show and talk about it to everyone they meet, it seems. If I can find it somewhere locally, I'll buy it.

On a side note, I didn't realize how annoying the Cavalier character is throughout the episodes. His personality reminds me of someone I would kick out of my group. And what's he only doing with a shield, anyway? All it seems to be used for is to aid him running away from the action. EDIT: Not to mention he sounds a lot like David Schwimmer from Friends, another character I can't stand.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Thad Enouf said:
On a side note, I didn't realize how annoying the Cavalier character is throughout the episodes. His personality reminds me of someone I would kick out of my group. And what's he only doing with a shield, anyway? All it seems to be used for is to aid him running away from the action. EDIT: Not to mention he sounds a lot like David Schwimmer from Friends, another character I can't stand.
Really? I don't find Reginald annoying, condescending, superficial, snooty, elitist, etc. :]

Felon

First Post
Thad Enouf said:
Well, he's voiced by Don Most--Ralph Malph from Happy Days--another character that was pretty annoying in his day.

And of course the show would be pretty boring without him. Just like Firefly needed Jane, Blake's 7 needed Avon, Star Wars needed Han Solo, Dragonlance needed Raistlin, Lost needed Sawyer, and so forth. Every cast needs a self-interested jerk just to serve as a foil for all the selfless jerks running around doing selfless stuff. It also is fun and poignant when in some rare situation the selfish, cowardly outlier does something selfless and brave (whereas with all the other characters, it's just typical behavior so who cares?).

Not much point in Eric having a weapon. There's not going to be any killing, after all (in stark contrast to the actual game we know). There's quite a bit of "running away from the action" (it's mostly what the kids do), which makes the shield pretty handy. I think he got as much use out of it as any character did out of their magic items.

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Felon said:
Not much point in Eric having a weapon. There's not going to be any killing, after all (in stark contrast to the actual game we know). There's quite a bit of "running away from the action" (it's mostly what the kids do), which makes the shield pretty handy. I think he got as much use out of it as any character did out of their magic items.
Except for Hank. Man, is that energy bow broken. He can do anything with it! What kind of DM lets a beginning character have that kind of magic item!? ;)

Yeah, I got the boxed set from my players as a Christmas gift, and have been watching them off and on. I'm too young to have seen it on TV as a kid, so there's not too much nostalgia going on, but I like it. It's good for both Mystery Science Theater-style mockery and to identify classic monsters and other game elements.

Demiurge out.

Lorgrom

First Post
I got it as a late christmas present. Defently worth getting IMO. I didn't realise how many episodes I had missed when it was on tv.

Remove ads