D&D causes murder/suicide?

Tsyr

Explorer
Berandor said:
For those who are interested and speak German, there is a presentation of a psychologist, Dr. Jeanette Schmid, who was asked by parents and teachers of a school to present an argumentation against role-playing to warn other parents.

In the course of the examinations, however, Dr. Schmidt came to the conclusion that this suggested view was not correct; in fact she claimed that role-playing was no more dangerous than any other hobby that is done overly much.
She claimed that perhaps, RP'ing would have positive sócial effects, but she was lacking conclusive data...

...or something like that. Been a long time :)

http://www.rpg.net/252/quellen/schmid/vortrag.html this is the actual presentation

http://www.rpg.net/252/quellen/schmid/umfrage.html this is her study

Berandor

Yeah... I've never seen that report, nor can I read German, but the story is familiar over here too. It seems like just about anytime anyone hires an unbiased expert (As opposed to an Expert with a capital E... ya know, the ones no one has ever heard of, have a degree from a funny backwater university if they happen to have one at all, and are devoutly "fundamentalist" in their views) to "prove" how evil DnD is the report backfires. Interestingly, the backfired reports never get the air time the others do...

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
D&D causes murder/suicide?

Completely untrue. Out of all the murders I've comitted I have NEVER felt even the faintest inclination to make it a murder-suicide.

Oh wait, the subject meant either/or didn't it? My bad.

Forget I said anything.

In all seriousness though, if 100% accurate statistics could just be magically summoned up, RPG players probably rank right below Hello Kitty fans on the whole murder/suicide thing...

Tsyr

Explorer
Actualy, I know a guy who tried to commit suicide (he still has the scars on his wrists to this day)... he was a very depressed person.

About six months after that, I got him into DnD. (Yes, that's right, people can try to commit suicide WITHOUT playing DnD)... Every since then, he's been a lot happier, more well-ajusted, and is actualy a reall cool guy to be around. He shaped up in school, is now in a good college, and has plans for his long-term future. He still has bouts of depression now and then, but they never last long like they used to, and normaly they are over almost before they start.

Now he has an outlet for depression, he has friends he made at the gaming table, some semblance of a social life (hey, as good as a lot of gamers do...), and he does something that stimulates the imagination, and is fun.

He's also a very good player, and an EXCELENT DM.

It's not an "Expert Study", but from this one person, I've got a pretty solid view of what RPGs can do to people. And I'm not scared of it.

Azardu

First Post
My thoughts on statistics:
You put one foot in ice cold water and the other in burning hot water, and your feet are averagely comfortable, statistically speaking. Bah, all lies!

Tsyr

Explorer
Yeah.

To quote Homer Simpson...

"You can use facts to prove anything thats even REMOTELY true!"

Provided there is ANY connection, no matter how slim, there are people who can make it sound like it's a sure thing.

An example my polisci prof liked to use is-

There is a huge (I forget the numbers) increase in the sale of Ice Cream during the summer month.

There is also a huge increase in the number of deaths via drowning in the summer months.

Therefore, Ice Cream causes people to drown, and should therefor be banned :)

edbonny

Explorer
This kind of subject matter with all its inferences and not-so-veiled threats makes as much sense as claiming that "working for Enron causes suicide."

Holy Bovine

First Post
Tsyr said:
Actualy, I know a guy who tried to commit suicide (he still has the scars on his wrists to this day)... he was a very depressed person.

About six months after that, I got him into DnD. (Yes, that's right, people can try to commit suicide WITHOUT playing DnD)... Every since then, he's been a lot happier, more well-ajusted, and is actualy a reall cool guy to be around. He shaped up in school, is now in a good college, and has plans for his long-term future. He still has bouts of depression now and then, but they never last long like they used to, and normaly they are over almost before they start.

Now he has an outlet for depression, he has friends he made at the gaming table, some semblance of a social life (hey, as good as a lot of gamers do...), and he does something that stimulates the imagination, and is fun.

He's also a very good player, and an EXCELENT DM.

It's not an "Expert Study", but from this one person, I've got a pretty solid view of what RPGs can do to people. And I'm not scared of it.

This is one of the coolest things I have ever read. DnD actually helped this poor guy when he was at his lowest point in life.

That is an amzaing story Tsyr. I wish the fellow well (does he frequent these boards at all?)

Remove ads