D&D 5E D&D Celebration Schedule

From September 23-26, the D&D community comes together for D&D Celebration – a weekend celebrating the release of The Wild Beyond the Witchlight, and previewing Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons (Oct 19) and Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos (Nov 16)! The first official D&D musical? The cast of Star Trek: Discovery rolling the d20s? This year’s D&D Celebration will offer fans a front row seat to...

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 10.16.30 PM.png

From September 23-26, the D&D community comes together for D&D Celebration – a weekend celebrating the release of The Wild Beyond the Witchlight, and previewing Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons (Oct 19) and Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos (Nov 16)!

The first official D&D musical? The cast of Star Trek: Discovery rolling the d20s? This year’s D&D Celebration will offer fans a front row seat to watch all that and more as hilarious Dungeon Masters lead adventures in a slate of side-splitting virtual games including:

- Disco Does D&D
o Cast members from Star Trek: Discovery Anthony Rapp, Mary Wisemann, Blu del Barrio, Ian Alexander, and special guest Wil Wheaton, play D&D with Noah Averbach-Katz at the helm as DM

- The Circus of Sound – a D&D Musical
o The long-awaited D&D musical event starring Anthony Rapp, Jason Charles Miller, Azie Dungey, Vico Ortiz, and Mariah Rose Faith with Kelly Lynne D’Angelo as DM

- The Slapstick Hunt: A Silly Chase
o DM Amy Vorpahl leads cast members from The Guild, Sandeep Parikh, Vince Caso, Robin Thorsen, Amy Okuda, and Jeff Lewis on a comedic adventure through the multiverse

- The Dungeon & The Dragon
o An unlikely band of monsters are assembled to help a wronged dragon track down the heroes who stole her hoard with Alicia Marie, Deborah Ann Woll, Todd Stashwick, Patrick Rothfuss, and Matthew Lillard playing as monsters and B. Dave Walters as DM

- The Great Dragon Tourney
o Get ready for a tourney unlike any other featuring dragon jousting, racing, and diplomacy starring Anna Prosser, Mica Burton, Nathan Sharp, Jonathan Indovino, and Kate Welch (in an extra-special role) with Mark Hulmes as DM

The weekend will close with a look to the future of the brand with the Future of D&D panel hosted by D&D’s own Liz Schuh, Ray Winninger, Chris Perkins, and Jeremy Crawford.

The full schedule of events, including virtual gaming and D&D Studio and community led panels, can be found here: https://dndcelebration.com/schedule

The current main three slipcase set has the exact same price point. $169.95. Either it's a placeholder price tag, or it's a three book slipcase. If it is a three book slipcase...what could that be? The only one that makes sense is the main three...and a revision.

Or huge setting update requiring three books instead of one, remember they said there was a new print format for the returning classic settings, so this could be a box set of setting books like a Planescape Planar Book, a Planescape Monster Book, and a Planescape Player Options Book.

Or it could be a set of books updating the main continents of the Forgotten Realms, Faerun, Zakhara, Kara Tur, and Maztica.

Or it could be a book of multiple classic settings, maybe it contains both of the returning campaign setting books and the revisit.

Maybe two classic settings in one box? :LOL: No? OK...

If we assume "the future of D&D" is more than just a release schedule for Q1/2022, as posted before, a revised core certainly fits.
I think previous Amazon "leaks" had the MSRP price about right for the kind of book that ended up been released, so it seems to be a "big box" of some kind, yes. Obviously, just wild speculation on my part.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss both classic settings books, especially if it includes a third book related to both, like Planescape, Spelljammer, and a Monster book, say D&D Cosmology set.

So maybe 5.5 instead?

Gutted. :(

I thought Tasha's was 5.5e already. They will have do something radical to make this worth buying when I already own the core gift set, although they did have that survey were they asked folks what they thought of the PHB races and what they would change about them. Perhaps the 5e era is over.

I thought Tasha's was 5.5e already. They will have do something radical to make this worth buying when I already own the core gift set, although they did have that survey were they asked folks what they thought of the PHB races and what they would change about them. Perhaps the 5e era is over.
Don't forget classes. They did a class survey. About. every. single. ability.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
If your right I'm NOT buying the PHB for a third time (I bought PHB when it first came out and then the Core Book Gift set because my OHB was falling apart and I didn't have the other two books or the DM screen). That is enough.
Yeah. I tend to agree. If the revisions are minor enough, which they'd need to be to keep backward compatibility with all the previous releases, then it'll be a few days before a full list of updates it collected on the forums.
Actually they said that the two returning campaign setting books would be in a new Format, maybe they went large and deep on one of them, a huge book or a box set of books.
Absolutely a possibility. Though $170? That's a big ask. Even if it were say a three book hyper-deluxe version of my all-time favorite D&D setting...I still wouldn't drop that much cash on it. The main three books to a new (or revised) edition of D&D...maybe.
Still the only setting I can see them justifying that for is the Forgotten Realms and I think FR is the Revisit, not one of the 2 classic settings (unless this is a box set that includes books on Maztica, Kara Tur, and Zakhara, which would push it closer to a return of a classic setting then revisit, as if it'd just included a book on Faerun).
Sure. That could make sense. A massive slipcase 3-volume set doing ALL the FR. That could be cool. I'm not a fan of FR, but I can see how fans would dig that.
If we assume "the future of D&D" is more than just a release schedule for Q1/2022, as posted before, a revised core certainly fits.
I think previous Amazon "leaks" had the MSRP price about right for the kind of book that ended up been released, so it seems to be a "big box" of some kind, yes. Obviously, just wild speculation on my part.
Theories that happen to fit the available information.
Or huge setting update requiring three books instead of one, remember they said there was a new print format for the returning classic settings, so this could be a box set of setting books like a Planescape Planar Book, a Planescape Monster Book, and a Planescape Player Options Book.

Or it could be a set of books updating the main continents of the Forgotten Realms, Faerun, Zakhara, Kara Tur, and Maztica.
If it is a massive setting box / slipcase then it's far more likely to be FR than anything else.
Or it could be a book of multiple classic settings, maybe it contains both of the returning campaign setting books and the revisit.
Maybe. But I really doubt it.

Don't forget classes. They did a class survey. About. every. single. ability.

Yeah sigh it's probable 5.5e. I would really have preferred they were doing something cool with a setting.

It does leave me curious what they are going to add to it to justify it to people to buy them all over again, it has to be more then Tashafying the PHB races and classes, like why reprint the MM and DMG for that. I wonder if they'll add more races for the 5.5e PHB and new monsters for the 5.5e MM.

Yeah. I tend to agree. If the revisions are minor enough, which they'd need to be to keep backward compatibility with all the previous releases, then it'll be a few days before a full list of updates it collected on the forums.

Absolutely a possibility. Though $170? That's a big ask. Even if it were say a three book hyper-deluxe version of my all-time favorite D&D setting...I still wouldn't drop that much cash on it. The main three books to a new (or revised) edition of D&D...maybe.

Sure. That could make sense. A massive slipcase 3-volume set doing ALL the FR. That could be cool. I'm not a fan of FR, but I can see how fans would dig that.

Theories that happen to fit the available information.

If it is a massive setting box / slipcase then it's far more likely to be FR than anything else.

Maybe. But I really doubt it.

Yeah no other setting is big or popular enough to sell a $169usd product, especially given alot of the newer fans might being willing try a classic setting for $40usd, but not risk for such an unknown setting at the much higher price point.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
From earlier in the thread...
AD&D lasted 8 years. AD&D2E lasted 11 years. 3X lasted 3 and 5 years, respectively. 4E lasted 6 years. 5E is already 7 years old. A new edition is inevitable. And it's going to be sooner rather than later.
To me, that points to at least a revision. I really doubt it's a new edition because sales are still increasing year-over-year. You don't make a new edition when your sales are increasing. You wait until the sales start slipping.
Yeah sigh it's probable 5.5e. I would really have preferred they were doing something cool with a setting.
We don't know. It's all speculation until Sunday.
It does leave me curious what they are going to add to it to justify it to people to buy them all over again, it has to be more then Tashafying the PHB races and classes, like why reprint the MM and DMG for that. I wonder if they'll add more races for the 5.5e PHB and new monsters for the 5.5e MM.
The DMG is notoriously badly organized. A fair chunk of DMs think it's not worth picking up because it's simply not useful. Reorganizing and reformatting the DMG, filling in some of those blanks that 3PP have plugged over the years, making a working CR and encounter building system, and other such revisions is a very real possibility. The monster changes would be the sticking point for me. The MM is serviceable if boring. Maybe they'd rework the stat blocks to make them less boring and samey between monsters. Spice things up and make them more interesting to fight than mostly bags of hit points.
Yeah no other setting is big or popular enough to sell a $169usd product, especially given alot of the newer fans might being willing try a classic setting for $40usd, but not risk for such an unknown setting at the much higher price point.
Though I could see a massive planes / world set at that price point. Maybe a "Worlds of D&D" thing with everything touched on. Three books. Planes, a book detailing all the various planes and cosmologies of D&D. Worlds, a book detailing all the various worlds from D&D. And Monsters, a big book of forgotten monsters from the planes and worlds. Maybe...could be neat. But? shrug.

Last edited:

The current main three slipcase set has the exact same price point. $169.95. Either it's a placeholder price tag, or it's a three book slipcase. If it is a three book slipcase...what could that be? The only one that makes sense is the main three...and a revision.

Like I said box set covering all of the Forgotten Realms subsettings could justify it. FR is huge and it has settings within settings.

Remove ads

Remove ads