D&D Movie/TV D&D Cinematic Universe. What would it be like? What do you want to see?

darjr

I crit!
The creators of the D&D movie (Directors?) said that this movie was the beginning. We also know about TV shows being worked on. Maybe with tie ins to each other and the Movie.

What could a cinematic universe of D&D look like? Will it be character focused like Marvel and DC or more like lots of stories based in it's world (words?).

I wonder if they'll try and track the Multiverse idea that D&D the game is going with now. Was it mistake to use the term Multiverse seeing that it's associated so much with Marvel now?

I want to see them focus on making one good, self-contained movie.
This. Every successful film (and TV) franchise begins with one great film (or show). As we saw with DC, if you try to build a shared universe from the off your eye goes from the ball, your movie sucks, and the universe doesn't happen.

As for D&D, I think they need to identify is as a shared franchise, not a shared universe. They need to get away from sequelitis, character cameos, and "you must have seen this to understand that". They need to do an Eberron movie, a Ravenloft movie, with no connection to Honor Amongst Thieves apart from the banner heading.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
The movie is clearly going to have a Marvel superhero vibe (light-hearted, high action, cheesy one-liners, etc.). Not the kind of movie I wish they were making, but I'll still give it a chance and will judge it on its own merits -- rather than how it measures up to what I wanted it to be.

That said, going forward, my preference would be that they would focus on films or series that evoke a much more serious feel/atmosphere, like this: Medieval

Or that they would at least create a variety of films/series/etc that might reflect different styles and preferences (e.g., Greyhawk, Birthright, Ravenloft, and Dark Sun movies or series could be darker than other releases; Spelljammer would be more like Guardians of the Galaxy; etc.). I am very much aware that what I want to see has next to 0% chance of getting made given the current zeitgeist. Especially since every film or series will probably have to feature "Dungeons and Dragons" in the title. Bleh...

delericho

Legend
Clearly they need to do two sets of films with completely different characters, one working against a mysterious villain, the other working for a mysterious patron. Then have a big mashup film in which the two groups come together and have a massive fight over some ridiculous point of trivia.

The villain/patron should, of course, be the same person, who goes by the name "Edition", thus giving the mashup film the title "Dungeons & Dragons: The Edition Wars".

(For a serious answer, I'm with the other who said they should do one film and make it good. Then decide on a next step, if any.)

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Note: This is completely my own wishes, not anything that I think would actually get made. Some of this might be possible if the D&D movie turns out good and is successful enough, but for now, this is pure wish-based brainstorming.

Eberron: Adventures in Xen'drik - Indiana Jones-style jungle-crawling action movie with giants, scorpion drow, and ancient artifacts.

Some Ravenloft-based horror movie would be great, especially if it showcased D&D's awesome horror monsters

Spelljammer: Adventures in Space - Fantasy space adventures in a similar theme to Guardians of the Galaxy, but as a TV show with Giff, Plasmoids, Autognomes, and other Spelljammer monsters/races, possibly with Illithids as prominent enemies.

Dark Sun: Tyranny of the Dragon - Gritty sword-and-sorcery miniseries focusing on killing Borys, similar to Mistborn: the Final Empire.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases