• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D: Daggerdale

Wycen

Explorer
I was interested when I got the spam from Atari but then remembered if it was based on a rule set it would be 4E. If 4E is really too video gamey as some say, wouldn't it be better?

The comments on that review seem to from the same 3 or 4 people talking to each other. What do other reviews have to say?

Redrobes

First Post
I downloaded the demo on XBL last night and had a quick go on it and the demo is very short. The monsters you had to fight in the demo were so easy that it was hard to gauge what real combat is going to be like.

I got very excited when I saw the demo for download but by the end of playing I felt quite disappointed.

When you move around the background turns around in 3D and I got quite confused about what direction I was going in. You can spin it with the joystick but it will spin when you run even you don't turn it.

I took the elf (only two options out of the four on the demo) and you head towards a barrel and shoot with the bow and it would miss continuously until it highlights the barrel with the red marker. You can go quite close to the barrel and it still wont highlight. It might be my unfamiliarity with it but if nothing else is highlighted then I would have expected the arrow to just head out in that direction and hit whatever is there at the end of its trajectory.

The whole game feels clumsy. Its just like the review said in the previous link. They have made an ok game. It looks nice but its not good to play. You start a character and there are just one or two point options to spend. No stats, no decisions no RPG. Your handed a character and told to move that about and press the shoot/swing button until the monsters go down.

I have been playing Torchlight and that has been brilliant. Its similar in style with the 3rd person and loot the barrels etc but the scenery doesn't pan around so less confusing. When you start that you can also choose from a small set of classes but you can stretch a zillion parameters to shape your character height, weight, features etc before you fix them for play. You get spells and special abilities the same but they are easier to access. Its nothing like D&D but then neither is Daggerdale. Like another review said, thats the true tragedy here. Another blown chance to make something great out of the D&D brand.

So yeah, I was all "Get the demo, quick check buy buy" but now after the demo I gotta hold off and see what other people think and get more info.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Hate to say I told you so (actually, I don't, but I want to appear sympathetic), but I knew this would suck. I'll still get the demo and give it a shot simply on the basis of it being an 'RPG', but I'm not holding my breath.

IronWolf

blank
I was on the fence about trying this. Looking like I am leaning towards not trying it now. I will keep an eye on reviews and see if it improves.

TheObserver

Explorer
So far I've liked it.

I had my son download and buy a copy for both Xboxes in the house. The game play reminds me of the D&D game that came out for Xbox a few years back. You can do 4 player coop although it's limits 2 per box if you decide to do it local, hence a copy on the 2 Xboxes. We only played a briefly yesterday but so far we liked it. It's not Dragon Age or Oblivian but so far I'm approaching it with an open mind.

MrMyth

First Post
I get the impression that the game only superficially adheres to 4e rules.

It bases various powers/feats/etc on 4E design and structure, in the same way that NWN did on 3.5 - and, in the same fashion, other elements are simplified to account for real time combat. Powers and spells recharge over time rather than requiring rest, no AoOs, etc.

I think anyone familiar with any edition of D&D would find it readily recognizable, and its probably worth trying out the demo to see what it is like.

For myself, given the relatively cheap price, it looks to be a fun but mindless game to go dungeon crawling with friends. It isn't especially polished - limited voice acting, some static image cut scenes - but the combat and dungeon crawling itself is fun. At least, thus far - I'm only about a half hour into the game.

The main limitation is not having especially robust options for character creation. You get a bit of power/feat/weapon customization within your chosen archetype, but it still is a bit of a shame. Still, again, for a Gauntlet style dungeon delve, as compared to a full-fledged CRPG like NWN, I can't complain too much.

Last edited:

Remove ads