D&D Experience: Two Page Spreads on Display

MaelStorm

First Post
For MM coverage, two thumbs up.
But for PH, I can't say the same thing.

Is this because monsters are cooler than skills? (No! I don't want an answer to this one.)
But seriously, can somebody hand over more info concerning the Player's Handbook display.

A transcript would be greatly appreciated.

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Ask, and ye shall receive.

SKILLS
Has your character studied ancient tomes that describe the nature of magic and the structure of the universe? Do you have a golden tongue that can pass off the most outrageous lies as truth? Do you have a knack for getting information out of people, or have you trained in balance and tumbling? These capabilities are represented in the game by skills.

As an adventurer, you have a basic level of competence in every skill, and you get more competent as you advance in level. Your ability scores affect your use of skills: a halfling rogue with a high Dexterity is better at Acrobatics than a clumsy dwarf paladin with a lower Dexterity. Your aptitude at a skill is measured in the game with a skill check - a d20 roll that determines whether and sometimes how well you succeed at any skill based task you might attempt.

This chapter tells you everything you need to know about skills.

* Skill Training: How skill training works, including ??? you learn additional trained skills.
* ??? Skills: How you make a skill check, what ??? ??? number is, and how to make a check ??? ??? rolling a die.
* ??? ??? Skills: General rules for the skills that ??? ??? much you know about the D&D ??? ??? creatures that populate it.
* ??? ??? ??? descriptions of what you ??? ??? from Acrobatics to ??? ???

That's all I got.

The Little Raven

First Post
* Skill Training: How skill training works, including how you learn additional trained skills.
* Using Skills: How you make a skill check, what the target number is, and how to make a check without rolling a die.
* Knowledge Skills: General rules for the skills that tell you how much you know about the D&D world and the creatures that populate it.
* ??? ??? ??? descriptions of what you ??? ??? from Acrobatics to ??? ???

I extrapolated the italic'd parts from what made sense in what I was reading. I can't really extrapolate anything about line 4.

Colmarr

First Post
Although it's not directly relevant to monsters, the monster entries seem to confirm that 4e will assume a 5-man adventuring party.

Both sample encounters feature "5-worth" of enemies (5 in the first, and 3 + an elite in the second).

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Here's all that I can transcribe (there's a mini in the way).

Chapter 5: Skills said:
Has your character studied ancient tomes that describe the nature of magic and the structure of the universe? Do you have a golden tongue that can pass off the most outrageous lies as truth? Do you have a knack for getting information out of people, or have you trained in balance and tumbling? These capabilities are represented in the game as skills.

As an adventurer, you have a basic level of competence in every skill, and you get more competent as you advance in level. Your ability scores affect your use of skills: a halfling rogue with a high Dexterity is better at Acrobatics than a clumsy dwarf paladin with a lower Dexterity. Your aptitude at a skill is measured in in the game with a skill check - a d20 roll that determines whether and sometimes how well you succeed at any skill-based task you might attempt.

This chapter tells you everything you need to know about skills:

• Skill Training: How skill training works, including how you learn additional trained skills.

Then the mini gets in the way. The piece of art that takes up most of the spread is wonderful.
[sblock]
152547c935215bf48.jpg
[/sblock]

Mirtek

Hero
Death Gaze (standard; encounter) * Necrotic
Range 10; targets a living creature; +20 vs. Fortitude; If the target is weakened, it is reduced to 0 hit points; otherwise, the target takes 1d6 + 6 necrotic damage and loses 1 healing surge.
So death effects are still in, still scarry but a little bit less fatal

Klaus

First Post
Campbell said:
Here's all that I can transcribe (there's a mini in the way).

Then the mini gets in the way. The piece of art that takes up most of the spread is wonderful.
[sblock]
152547c935215bf48.jpg
[/sblock]
Man, I do NOT like that picture (seems to be Franz Vohwinkel). The pose of the tiefling in particular is awkward at best.

Bold or Stupid

First Post
So glad to see the Boneclaw getting put in the first MM.

Though I wonder if this is a sign of Hasbro's influence as we all know that Boneclaws are fans of My Little Ponies.

Remove ads