• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Insider Character Builder Open Beta live

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Will the software auto-update and pull down information from the server?

Or do I need to run a manual update and grab the new program?

Regardless, this rocks! Thanks! It's a fun toy... I just wish it went up to level 10 at least!

-O

During the beta you must manually patch. Instructions here:

11/12/09: We have updated the Character Builder installer to work with the 64 bit version of Windows Vista. If you previously downloaded the application and were getting an error on launch, you will want to:

• uninstall the previous failed Character Builder application
  • install .NET 3.5 SP1 from Microsoft
  • install any Windows Updates you have pending and reboot if necessary
  • download the new 64bit friendly Character Builder
  • install the Character Builder Beta
If this is your first time downloading the Character Builder application, you will want to:

• install .NET 3.5 SP1 from Microsoft
  • install any Windows Updates you have pending and reboot if necessary
  • install the Character Builder Beta

Last edited:

Scribble

First Post
Hey Scott... Is it always going to be a seperate program you need to download? Or will it eventually be hosued on the WoTC side and interfaced through the web like the other stuff?

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Hey Scott... Is it always going to be a seperate program you need to download? Or will it eventually be hosued on the WoTC side and interfaced through the web like the other stuff?

The client and data will live on your local HD (offline use) and it will patch when you login to D&DI for new data set and updates (big fixes etc)

firesnakearies

Explorer
Awesome!

Great job, Wizards!

It took about two minutes total to upgrade to the new version, and now it has the Barbarian, and the Martial Power stuff, and some new "zoom" feature for folks with smaller monitors, I guess.

Looks good! Keep it up!

$

Obryn

Hero
During the beta you must manually patch. Instructions here:
Very cool. Thanks! I'll have to do this when I get home. I'm so glad it's at least a patch rather than a full download.

(Also, maybe I downloaded it after the x64 patch, but I never ran into problems on Vista x64. Lucky me?)

-O

Scribble

First Post
The client and data will live on your local HD (offline use) and it will patch when you login to D&DI for new data set and updates (big fixes etc)

Drat... I'm sure it's the best way to do it, but still I wish it was entirely on the web. I can't install it on my work laptop, which means when I travel on business and have downtime I can't use that downtime to make characters with the program. :p

Still, the program is awesome. Keep it up! (please) :D

Festivus

First Post
Nice, I will check it out.

Scott, you might want to have someone double check the licence agreement verbage. As written I probably should not hit agree:

4. Fees and Payment: We describe our fees and billing procedures for the Program (and the Components thereof) at [INSERT LOCATION] and/or on
www.wizards.com <http://www.wizards.com/> ("Payment Terms"), which are incorporated herein by this reference and are subject to change at any time without prior notice to you.

10. Account Requirements: To use the Program and obtain an account, you will be required to choose both a login name and a user name [THIS TRUE?]. You are encouraged not to use your real name, especially if you are a Child.

It looks like an incomplete version.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads