D&D: Is this the Golden Age?

Sigma

First Post
Chromnos said:

Ah, the good ol Idea repackaging coup.

So how did Gygax eventually get cut out of the loop? I mean he's doing his own D20 press games now, isn't he?

-C

IIRC, there were a lot of factors, but the one that sticks in my mind is a really ugly divorce in which EGG lost a significant chunk of TSR to his Ex. She aligned with two other major shareholders and forced him out.

But that's really a whole nother thread. ;)

I agree completely with what you said about D&D being wide open in the early 80's. Granted, I was pretty young at the time, but D&D almost had an air of rebellion and hipness about it for a time. Actually, the same holds true for video games during that period. They were very mainstream popular because they were so cutting-edge.

Chromnos

First Post
Ouch! Just hearing about it sounds painful. Enough to inspire the Hamlet in me.

Yeah, my memories of the early 80's are just exploding with wide-eyed, hey-wow, check this stuff out adventure! For a while, it seemed, the lost frontier was reinvented in the imagination and the spirit of invention and rugged individualism held sway. For me D&D was like a harley for the mind.

-C

evil_rmf

Explorer
Chromnos said:

Very cool! I read in another thread that the ELH was being sold on one site for 12.95. Is this true?

I must say, as an aside that it is very cool WOTC setting up high power campaigns even if they do gank the spell casters. I mean, you could do a middle earth in EPIC with some heavy tweaking.

-C

buy.com: 13.82, with free shipping!

Simon Magalis

First Post
JeffB said:

why is it that so many people are always ragging on anyone who is religious or goes to church as ?bible thumping? ,?idiot? , and thinks that D&D players are Satan worshippers?

This crap is getting really old?.

I couldn't agree with you more. It's the same in academics; if you are working to be a literary scholar, everyone just assumes you left your faith back in undergrad.

On another topic, inviting people I thought would make good gamers to the table has been VERY successful for me. It's so cool to have a new player who has great instincts for roleplaying because they have lived a while but is still a bit unsure of what an orc is.

Darraketh

First Post
evil_rmf said:
in regards to walmart's listing of 3e PHBs on it's website:

Yep, but they brought the price up to $18.87 now. It used to be 37% of of $19.95. Now it is 5% off. The Monster Manual is the same price, but 37% off of $29.95. Interesting.

They do list the ELH, and you can pre-order the MMII. And dig this: they list 2nd PHBs! how funky is that?

Hmm, that must be a reverse rollback.

Agback

Explorer
In RPGs as in all things, there is a new Golden Age every eight to ten years.

If you are aged 17-25, this is what you will look back on as a golden age. If you are 37, the Golden Age was twelve to twenty years ago, when you were younger, more vigorous, thinner, better-looking, and just discovering all the neat stuff in the world.

Regards,

Agback

Remove ads