• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Livestream: Lost Mine of Phandelve Todayr 4 PM PT

caudor

Adventurer
I'm enjoying the TotM approach - it feels much more like the D&D I know and love. I don't think it's particularly more confusing for new players, and I feel like it better distinguishes role-playing from board games.

Mike said in one of the recent interviews that they very deliberately didn't include any maps or tokens because they didn't want to push new players towards the idea that combat was the best approach to any situation. This philosophy makes me happy.

To me, this is one of the best aspects of D&D 5e. I'm sure options for battlemaps, etc. will be added, but I'm glad they are not needed to play the basic game. The feeling of freedom I got by playing 2e back in the day has returned.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I enjoyed watching it...Goblin flailing was rather funny!

I like how the Inspiration system can help DM reward players for roleplaying their character up to their qualities or flaws, gaining advantage or canceling disadvantage is always enjoyable!

Last edited:

So how was the adventure?

Warder

They didn't get far enough to really judge. It was your typical introductory adventure:

They run into a goblin ambush looking for a missing relative, and follow the goblins back to their cave lair.

Nothing yet to blow my socks off, but they've only revealed a little bit of the adventure.

SigmaOne

First Post
Edit: Also, I thought it went great. It was cool to see a mix of people involved (experienced and new), and to see them getting into character. Greg did a fantastic job with the Goblins. This is one of my favorite live-play videos after the PAX stuff.

The Hitcher

Explorer
To me, this is one of the best aspects of D&D 5e. I'm sure options for battlemaps, etc. will be added, but I'm glad they are not needed to play the basic game. The feeling of freedom I got by playing 2e back in the day has returned.

Exactly. I also fell in love with the game in the 2E era, but was never able to quite recapture that experience in 3E (much less 4E). Was it just that my nostalgia was rose-tinting the past?

Apparently not - first session running Mines of Madness and it all came rushing back.

I can understand why some people who got into the game this millennium are sceptical about some aspects of the new edition. It's certainly a very different beast to any of the previous WotC versions of the game. But I hope that some of them give it a chance to be its own thing and end up enjoying what it has to offer. Likewise the grognards on the other end of the continuum, suspicious of its newfangled-ness. Either way, I'll be sitting in the middle having a grand old time.

Iosue

Legend
Dunnagin...WOW!

But indeed, this was not as bad as most recorded games are (Acquisitions, Inc. excepted, of course). Looks lots of fun.

Remove ads