• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Livestream: Lost Mine of Phandelve Todayr 4 PM PT

thunktanker

First Post
I thought the game dragged a bit when the fighters started chaining short rests together so they could repeatedly use second wind and not rely on the nearby cleric twiddling her thumbs.

The Hitcher

Explorer
I thought the game dragged a bit when the fighters started chaining short rests together so they could repeatedly use second wind and not rely on the nearby cleric twiddling her thumbs.

I was going to say something similar ;) Actually, I thought the fighters weren't going to remember that they even had the ability. The Noble only did so in the nick of time.

Have just finished watching, and found it enjoyable. As others said, the mix of male/female and experienced/inexperienced kept things interesting. And it felt similarly fast and loose to the games I've run of the playtest.

A few interesting snippets I caught during the adventure and in the Q&A afterwards:

- Critical hits are now double(dice)+modifiers
- There are guidelines in the adventure to help new DMs deal with the exploration rules (movement speeds, when active and passive perception come into play, how they tie into surprise, etc.)
- The official character sheet has been modified (post starter set) to include a place for marking Inspiration.
- Third page of the full sheet will include a place to mark a faction
- Full three-page sheet will be in Basic on the 3rd

The artist who designed the character sheet was one of the players in the session. Hats off to her - it's a great sheet! She and the guy playing the Noble both cited the Traits/Ideals/Bonds/Flaws as their favourite things about the characters. I concur.

Maliki67

First Post
Cleric's "Healing Word" spell acts as a bonus action (so doesn't take up your action), allowing the cleric to heal the party (at range, with this spell) and still take other actions -- so not sacrificing being able to take your own actions to play healbot. Probably a good mechanic for this level; we'll see if it isn't too generous at higher levels, but embedding it in the spell vice the action economy might be a good design choice.

This confused me (very new to 5E, I downloaded all the playtest packets but only glanced over them). From what I read you can move and take an action (pretty standard). Casting a spell (or attacking, ect) is an action. So how was casting healing word not an action? (I heard it was a "bonus" action) What is considered a "bonus" action? I did not see it in the last playtest (but I may have overlooked it).

Even though she didn't do it, it seemed as if the cleric could have, cast a spell(healing word), moved, and then cast another spell (or attacked). Seems like a lot to be.

Nemio

First Post
To start I have to say that I only watched the first 15 minutes and am looking forward to watching the rest later.

Since I'm going to DM for a group of newbies I'm mostly looking at the reactions of the newbie player.
I got the impression that she was feeling a bit lost between the experienced players (which is normal) but it seems the DM could have paid a bit more attention to her.

Some examples:
- Everyone starts rolling and adding modifiers and it's the other player besides her that has to help her.
- She's proud to say that she knows what AC means. Noone reacts...
- She got an Inspiration point for waiting what the others did but she wasn't explained that she could ready an action. When one of the goblins pops up and she asks if she can attack it she is told that she has to wait until her next turn. Good roleplaying or not knowing what your options are?

Also since this Starter Set is aimed at new DM's and players alike, wouldn't it have been more interesting to play with an all newbie team? I think that would learm me more about possible player reactions than watching experienced players who already know how everything works.

Remove ads