• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D mega-campaign with all the options turned on?

SJE

Explorer
At the moment I'm running a weekly Exalted game (session 35 now) filled with action, adventure, intrigue and Terry Pratchett jokes. And I've kinda used everything for that line (8 thick hardbacks, 40 odd softbacks) in the sense that if its published, I'm happy to use it or for PC's to use it.

I'm thinking of vaguely doing something similar in the future with one of the many huge D&D campaigns out there- Shackled City, Agee of Worms, Ptolus, Eberron, etc. Something big with with an epic storyline and the whole Campbellian Heroes Journey thing going on.

And one of the things I'd encourage with the players is to beyond the usual D&D basic classes and try something new- use anything they wanted from the Complete books, use Psionics instead of magic, test out racial subsistiton levels or the Magic of Incarnum. Id love to see say a Shackled city game with Warlocks, Spirit Shamans, scouts and the like for example.

In short, if its got the D&D brand sign on the book (even 3.o if it hasnt been updated), they can use it!

Now for those who have played D&D more than I (I play in Living Arcanis and occasional con games) - does this way lie madness? Is the sheer volume of stuff out there too contradictory, confusing or challenging for such a campaign to work without being bogged down in endless rules contradictions or horrific munchkinism as two sane concepts become an insane game-breaker when they meet?

SJE

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
SJE said:
Now for those who have played D&D more than I (I play in Living Arcanis and occasional con games) - does this way lie madness? Is the sheer volume of stuff out there too contradictory, confusing or challenging for such a campaign to work without being bogged down in endless rules contradictions or horrific munchkinism as two sane concepts become an insane game-breaker when they meet?

SJE
If you can GM Rifts with all the options turned on, you can GM D&D with all the options turned on.

Personally, I find running D&D with all the options easier than Rifts.

But that's just me.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
It seems to be the way my game is running at present.

All the Complete books, All the Races books, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Weapons of Legacy and Magic of Incarnum. All are being used.

Cheers!

Corsair

First Post
The only really dangerous things to watch out for are the books which assume you're building the game around them (BoED, BoVD, UA)

SJE

Explorer
MerricB said:
It seems to be the way my game is running at present.

All the Complete books, All the Races books, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Weapons of Legacy and Magic of Incarnum. All are being used.

Cheers!

Any difficulties with this option? Anything you'd wished you'd known about before allowing into the game?

Thank you,

Steve

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
Steve: One thing you need to do is set a limitation up front.

PrC's can only be learned from those who are part of the PrC "group" or are at least 5 levels higher than the PC. This will allow you to curb the half dragon dragon disciple vow of poverty monk/socerer.

And doublecheck EVERY character.

I allow every book I've got, and a lot of homebrew stuff, and have only run into one problem, but that took awhile to manifest. Two players got together and planned: One took 6 levels of rogue, the other took 6 levels of psion, then they swapped, till they were both 6 rogue/6 psion, and then BOTH took the 3.0 soulknife.

THAT caused a lot of trouble, but it wasn't a game breaker.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Not yet. This campaign is young, though.

My previous campaign (which ran from levels 1-15) had stuff from the following books:
* All complete books
* All races books
* Book of Exalted Deeds
* Expanded Psionics Handbook
* Book of Eldritch Might (II?) - Monte's variant sorcerer.

The only thing I regretted including was Monte's material. I think his sorcerer takes too much away from the 3.5e bard, and was hard to integrate with 3.5e material.

Look, the campaign had a Vow of Poverty Monk! Was it overwhelmingly powerful? By no means.

We had a *lot* of different PC types during the campaign. It was lots of fun.

Cheers!

SJE

Explorer
Warlord Ralts said:
Steve: One thing you need to do is set a limitation up front.

PrC's can only be learned from those who are part of the PrC "group" or are at least 5 levels higher than the PC. This will allow you to curb the half dragon dragon disciple vow of poverty monk/socerer.

And doublecheck EVERY character.

I allow every book I've got, and a lot of homebrew stuff, and have only run into one problem, but that took awhile to manifest. Two players got together and planned: One took 6 levels of rogue, the other took 6 levels of psion, then they swapped, till they were both 6 rogue/6 psion, and then BOTH took the 3.0 soulknife.

THAT caused a lot of trouble, but it wasn't a game breaker.

Thank you for the advice, but out of curiosity, what is so awful about the Rogue/Psion/soulknife mix? (i cant remember 3.0 Psionics so well as I hated it and never used it). I remember soulknife was a PrC back then and you got lots of damage bonuses, which I'm sure combine with sneak attack for some ungawdly number of d6 attacks.

And your first example- Half dragon template, Dragon Disciple PRC, monk with vow of Poverty and some levels of sorceror? I'm guessing this leads to astronomical AC's from natural armour, Vow's and monks AC bonus? Maybe some Mage armour and Shields thrown in?

SJE

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
SJE said:
Thank you for the advice, but out of curiosity, what is so awful about the Rogue/Psion/soulknife mix? (i cant remember 3.0 Psionics so well as I hated it and never used it). I remember soulknife was a PrC back then and you got lots of damage bonuses, which I'm sure combine with sneak attack for some ungawdly number of d6 attacks.

And your first example- Half dragon template, Dragon Disciple PRC, monk with vow of Poverty and some levels of sorceror? I'm guessing this leads to astronomical AC's from natural armour, Vow's and monks AC bonus? Maybe some Mage armour and Shields thrown in?

SJE
They took combat reflexes, Up the Walls, and other stuff. I can't remember how exactly it was done, but they were wrecking machine's more than once when they could both flank someone, usually by shooting up and over the walls.

Add in spring attack, and it was a lethal mess.

It was OK, they came out on the wrong side of an arguement with a Lich before they hit 17th level.

Remove ads