D&D mega-campaign with all the options turned on?

IcyCool

First Post
I just wrapped up my campaign, and I did this in that one. All 3.5 books were allowed, and material from 3.0 books was allowed as long as it was updated or brought to my attention first.

I had two problems:

1. Once the party passed 8th level or so, I had a really hard time challenging them. This was mainly due to there being 7 players, my having never dm'd a group over 7th level before, and my allowing the bard to use the words of creation (from BoED) to double the entirety of his bardic music bonus (so he added any bonuses he had in, and then doubled it).

2. I had a fundamental disconnect with one of my players from the start, and it just went downhill.

It's not too bad though. Just make sure things go through you for approval, and you should be ok. Be sure to take advantage of all those sources to make your bad guys too.

Odhanan

Adventurer
1. Once the party passed 8th level or so, I had a really hard time challenging them. This was mainly due to there being 7 players, my having never dm'd a group over 7th level before, and my allowing the bard to use the words of creation (from BoED) to double the entirety of his bardic music bonus (so he added any bonuses he had in, and then doubled it).

2. I had a fundamental disconnect with one of my players from the start, and it just went downhill.

Well, from the circumstances you are explaining and the problems themselves, I'd say it's fair to conclude this had nothing to do with the options being turned on, isn't it?

IcyCool

First Post
Odhanan said:
Well, from the circumstances you are explaining and the problems themselves, I'd say it's fair to conclude this had nothing to do with the options being turned on, isn't it?

Which was my point. Apologies if that wasn't clear.

Odhanan

Adventurer
It's okay. :)

I find that most problems at the game table come down to the attitudes of the players and DM involved and how compatible they are in practice. Kudos to you, by the way, on stepping up to the plate and running mid-to-high level adventures. There are DMs out there fearing them and loathing them as a result. I'm glad you don't!

I have six players at my game table (with 10th level characters by now), and I have to constantly remind myself that CRs and pretty much all the aspects of the game are geared toward parties of 4 PCs. The second thing is that combats of equivalent CR for 4 PCs last 1 or 2 rounds on average, as explained by Monte Cook in one of his last Dungeoncraft columns (Improvisation article, part 3). Keeping these things in mind, we should have no problem challenging our large groups properly. :)

MadMaxim

First Post
I play with pretty much everything from Wizards of the Coast allowed (depending on the campaign setting, of course) and I haven't run into any major problems so far. As long as the players show me what they would like their characters to become in terms of prestige classes, feats and the like, I'm usually able to see what will wreck the campaign and what won't. They usually don't go too bananas with different stuff, so I'd say as long as they're only interested in a prestige class or feat or two from another book, it's no problem.

SJE

Explorer
Thank you for all the advice from everyone. As I've found with Exalted, good gaming comes from a dialogue with the players and their aspirations mixing with the GM's plot ideas. Plus if the GM knows and understands the rules and background better than the players, then he can act as an authoritative voice, keeping disputes to a minimum.

So the next question- what would be a good campaign to run with all the options turned on?

Eberron I run a fairly postmodern game, and Eberron lends itself to modernity and satire quite well. There is enough space in Eberron for all the options to co-habit.

Ptolus I have high hopes that this 'Worlds Largest City' has enough of a plot to sustain a more freeform and personality based campaign.

Shackled Path I've got this book and it looks fairly interesting and dramatic (especially the whole volcano bit, with plenty of surreal planar weirdness) so its a possibilty. Generally I depart from linear campaigns after a while and improvise NPC's responses to the players actions.

Age of Worms When the hardback comes out, I'll pick this up too.

Drow War and Ruins of the Dragonlord are outside contenders as I havent heard much about them nor know the author. Drow War in particular sounds almost too large to be playable in 8-12 months.

Night Below or the DragonLance series, Great Modron March or Dead Gods are also outside contenders because of conversion issues, but possibilities as I own them all.

Thanks,

SJE

EDIT- P.S. I have Worlds Largest Dungeon and RttToEE but wouldnt use them, as I hate long dungeon crawls.

Eltern

First Post
Have you checked out the Banewarrens? I'm not certain that it particularly -lends- itself towards the kitchen sink, but it definitely doesn't work -against- it. It's set in Ptolus, too!

Odhanan

Adventurer
Shackled City, Ptolus and Eberron are all good candidates for an "open source campaign".

Shackled City is pretty open when it comes to the PC types. As soon as they can be in Cauldron, that's fine.

Eberron is certainly the most open of all the options you propose. Between lost continents and towering cities, there's a place for everything under the sun, really.

I'd say Eberron is the easiest and would propose the most varied options. Shackled City (kinda) and most probably Ptolus are focussed (between dungeons and urban areas). Depends what you want out of your game, really.

I'd roll with Ptolus personally. It just fits my tastes leaning toward urban campaigns.

Remathilis

Legend
My current Eberron game uses the following sources:

* PH/DMG/MM
* Any Monster book I wish (MM2, MM3, FF)
* All the classbooks (Arcane, Adventurer, Warrior, Divine) except for asian classes, 6-7 prcs, and 10 feats (banned for balance or flavor)
* The Racebooks (Wild, Stone, Eberron, Destiny) with proper flavor conversion for Eberron, but no new races (goliath, raptoran, illumian)
* Expanded Psionics (cept the races)
* Spell Compendium (cept some domains)
* Anything Eberron (Five Nations, Magic of Eberron)
* Arms and Equipment
* Monsterbooks (Libris, Draco, Lords)
* Exalted Deeds and Vile Darkness (very rarely)
* Manual of the Planes (mostly monsters and Far Realm/Xoriat)
* The Terrainbooks (Frostburn, Sandstorm, Stormwrack) san new races

Basically, any book goes as long at it fits Eberron's theme. I tried to keep it very close to book, but you could easily come up with places for Goliaths, Samurai's and such. I see no problem.

The trick is to either explain them (my raptoran are usually ninja) or don't (no, I don't know where Xephs come from. You're in Freeport). Depending on how much vermissitude you need.

Play wise: You should be fine though.

Cavalorn

First Post
SJE said:
Drow War and Ruins of the Dragonlord are outside contenders as I havent heard much about them nor know the author.

*waves* Author of the former, at least. :) There are two reviews here on ENworld if you're interested.

Drow War in particular sounds almost too large to be playable in 8-12 months.

If it's OK to chip in here: it's not necessary to play through all of the books. Each one has a conclusion of its own, which could wrap the story up if needed. The first one (levels 1-10) can easily fit into an 8 to 12 month schedule. There's a bit of a reborn warrior/eternal champion type theme going on, too.

Last edited:

Remove ads