D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Plot Revealed

Quickleaf

Legend
If they don't pull an AD&D stunt like 'trick the Hill Giant to squeeze himself into a narrow passageway then cast Enlarge so his remains shoot out like a tube toothpaste filled with beef stew' then I'm asking for my money back.

If it doesn't feature a Druid turning into a female Brown Bear in heat to lure an angry male Brown Bear out of the cavern so they can go in and loot bodies I'll be furious.

If they don't include a scene that has the party arguing over a) who draws the map, b) who keeps track of the burned-out torches, and c) why 'we have to have the damn torches at all because 5 of the 6 members have Darkvision but oh, no, the human Paladin just had to stick along so we can't even steal stuff in his presence' I'll be disappointed.

D&D is all about clever methods of murder, crazy stunts, and petty arguments. Not drama. Not emotion. Not heroism. It's about weird murderhobo shenanigans.

I don't see the movie succeeding unless they take my advice. :cool:

Haha. I'm banking on the rogue planting a bead from a necklace of fireballs on one of the villains right before they teleport. Cue dawning horror of realization on the villain's face as the bead drops from their robe and their minions dive for cover upon the return of their teleporting master. ;)

Miladoon

First Post
Am I the only one that thinks a big screen feature involving a dungeon delve with the entire party and nps all having dark vision would be pretty awesome? Buy a ticket and get handed a pair oh night vision goggles.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Am I the only one that thinks a big screen feature involving a dungeon delve with the entire party and nps all having dark vision would be pretty awesome? Buy a ticket and get handed a pair oh night vision goggles.

Nah...you'll get 90 minutes of sound effects and a black screen (because you're human and can't see in the dark).

I saw the Perfect D&D movie a couple of weeks ago. It was set in the Birthright settting. There was this kid, the lost son of a king, who grew up in a brothel, and became a conman. Eventually he aquired an OP magic sword, his past was revealed to him, and he went to fight the evil wizard in his castle.

To get there, he had to start a rebellion in the kingdom, which he enacted with a selected group of friends. The whole thing was planned in a tavern, while he and his "posse" cracked jokes. Eventually he became king, and instead of fighting his enemies, he invited them to dinner. Awesome. I'm not even joking.

The title was "king Arthur, Legend of the Sword"

mflayermonk

First Post
I saw the Perfect D&D movie a couple of weeks ago. It was set in the Birthright settting. There was this kid, the lost son of a king, who grew up in a brothel, and became a conman. Eventually he aquired an OP magic sword, his past was revealed to him, and he went to fight the evil wizard in his castle.

To get there, he had to start a rebellion in the kingdom, which he enacted with a selected group of friends. The whole thing was planned in a tavern, while he and his "posse" cracked jokes. Eventually he became king, and instead of fighting his enemies, he invited them to dinner. Awesome. I'm not even joking.

The title was "king Arthur, Legend of the Sword"

Arthur was an excellent example of the Intimidation skill in social settings.

I think the problem with a D&D movie, is that there's nothing about it that is specifically D&D related. It could be any fantasy movie.

So if you want to make the movie specifically about D&D, you'd have to involve the game itself in some way, and show people playing it. That is one thing that Stranger Things did very well, it shows the kids playing the game, and also uses the game to explain some of the scifi complexities to the audience. Stranger Things isn't specifically about D&D of course, but one could imagine a movie that use the same format, that IS.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I think it would be neat if the movie played up the game aspect and used makeup/ computers to use same actors as the characters and players. Vin Diesel could be the mighty warrior in game world and be given a fatsuit and neckbeard in the tabletop world. CGI somebody like Patton Oswalt into a skinny half-elf. The action should repeatedly stop and reset for the players to argue about what would really happen, or for one guy to go on a rant about how the game doesn't really represent the effectiveness of plate mail well. Also, they should clearly be portrayed as murderhoboes, but have at least one "goblin captive" scene or plotline where the blood-covered PCs argue about the torture, killing, and the possibly inherently evil nature of their captive.

That would closely match my experience with the game.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads