D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Plot Revealed

MechaPilot

Explorer
Yes it was. And it grossed $33.7 million. What was the market for hobby gaming last year... $45mil?

Is that gross receipts or gross income? If it's gross receipts, it doesn't really mean much. You'd want to compare the percentage of net profit per dollar of proceeds of the two. Also, when considering a D&D movie from WotC's perspective, you'll want to look at how much WotC got from the licensing agreement (which likely includes a percentage of receipts after a certain amount), and not what the film's gross receipts were.

Is that gross receipts or gross income? If it's gross receipts, it doesn't really mean much. You'd want to compare the percentage of net profit per dollar of proceeds of the two. Also, when considering a D&D movie from WotC's perspective, you'll want to look at how much WotC got from the licensing agreement (which likely includes a percentage of receipts after a certain amount), and not what the film's gross receipts were.
I don't know how it's defined. And business generally don't publish their profits.

I only pointed it out to get a relative idea of what we are talking about. i.e. Even if the movie is not wildly successful, it is still likely that it could be the major source of profit for D&D in the year it is released (2018?).

MechaPilot

Explorer
I don't know how it's defined. And business generally don't publish their profits.

I only pointed it out to get a relative idea of what we are talking about. i.e. Even if the movie is not wildly successful, it is still likely that it could be the major source of profit for D&D in the year it is released (2018?).

Sure, it has the potential to be a big money maker.

Now, how much of that money WotC/Hasbro will see will depend heavily on the licensing contract with the studio making the film. I just wanted to make sure people weren't mistaking the gross receipts of a D&D film as being the same as gross receipts from selling RPG products. The former will be heavily whittled down by not just the costs of producing and distributing a major motion picture, but also whatever profit margin the production company has negotiated in the license.

TL;DR: $50 Mill in film receipts and $50 Mill in D&D book sales do not result in the same amount of money flowing to WotC/Hasbro. Which, I'm sure you probably already knew. But, I felt it was a good reminder to put out there.

Henry

Autoexreginated
The best fantasy movies with original settings are weird. Labrynth, Pan's Labrynth, Princess Bride, Neverending Story, Time Bandits.

Funny enough, Princess Bride was one of the best D&D-ish movies out there: it had monsters (ROUS), a Giant, swordsmen, a hero who leveled up, quests, daring swordfights, memorable funny quotes, and even a PC resurrection! They WISH they could do as well as Princess Bride. :)

Remove ads