D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Plot Revealed

schnee

First Post
The most AD&D movie that could have been made was already made.

Time Bandits.

That last fight scene was pure kitchen sink fantasy game world. Spaceships + roman phalanx + muskets + Halfling thieves.

Evil was the perfect 20th level Wizard.

There is no way in hell any modern movie can do D&D justice.

Not being a fan of the franchise, I suppose they might have Transformers pegged as "Robots hiding amongst mankind to protect it", basically superheroes with tires. Do the films match that? I've only seen the first one, but it seemed to, more or less.

As for D&D, I guess that they'll intrepret it as: "Shared storytelling in a fantasy world": the 'experience' of the game is sitting around a table and telling a story with Elves and Fireballs. On this guess, we might think that they would try to show the players and DM somehow, perhaps as a framing device; the Princess Bride is probably the best example for that. It could be charming and amusing to see the guys and gals 'behind the story', but it can also come across as imcomparably corny. Princess Bride threaded the needle, so it can be done.

However, they may opt to focus heavily on the fantasy world part, and aim to do a more-or-less generic fantasy tale set in the Forgotten Realms. That would also be good, if done well - the Fantasy genre is surprisingly underused, considering how massive Lord of the Rings was, but studios apparently prefered to adapt Urban Fantasy novels over Epic Fantasy ones. So we get a story with Elves and Fireballs, but missing the references to players behind the action.

mflayermonk

First Post
Not being a fan of the franchise, I suppose they might have Transformers pegged as "Robots hiding amongst mankind to protect it", basically superheroes with tires. Do the films match that? I've only seen the first one, but it seemed to, more or less.

Yes, you are correct. The big reveal of every movie is that transformers secretly...built the pyramids, won World War 2, helped King Arthur win, killed the dinosaurs, pulled the moon into earth orbit, etc.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
D&D Movie Plot Revealed

The problem is that “D&D” is not a story; it’s a genre (a specific sub-genre of fantasy). Sure it changes a little from setting to setting (as does “sci-fi”), but it’s still identifiably D&D.

The key to a D&D movie is simply a good story. The D&D trappings are just icing.

D&D does have good stories. Some of them might be filmable.

Stranger Things?

I really liked Stranger Things and I'm looking forward to it more than any other TV/show movie this year, but for me I get more of a Call of Cthulhu vibe from the show than I do D&D. There's less head-on battles and more figuring out what's going on and trying to outsmart the monster.

I really liked Stranger Things and I'm looking forward to it more than any other TV/show movie this year, but for me I get more of a Call of Cthulhu vibe from the show than I do D&D. There's less head-on battles and more figuring out what's going on and trying to outsmart the monster.

While I agree, I think that perhaps a movie that is about playing the game is a better idea, instead of a movie actually taking part in the D&D fantasy world.

While I agree, I think that perhaps a movie that is about playing the game is a better idea, instead of a movie actually taking part in the D&D fantasy world.

Actually I think The Gamers did something like this. Or maybe it was not that one but something by Zombie Orpheus but I'm sure I watched something like that on YouTube before.

Though I would very much love a well-done movie set in the Dragonlance world. Such an epic world, my favourite D&D world by far. But it would have to do justice to the world, and if it involves the Heroes of the Lance then of course it would have to treat that story and the characters well. But that's just my thoughts.

Remove ads