D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Plot Revealed

Xeviat

Hero
Maybe it sometimes cuts to a DM behind a screen, who has memorable catch-phrases like "*Evil Cackle*", "Roll for Initiative" and "Are you sure you want to do that?"

Print those on the merchandise (T-shirts, mugs, fluffy DM dolls, ...) and you're home and dry.

I would love a "Christmas Story"-esque narrator through the whole movie. Play it as a comedy to separate it from all the other wannabe LotR stuff we got recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I think it will be the live action version of the cartoon (more ethnically and sexually diverse of course).

Still Peter Dinklage as the DM, the Liam Neilson as Venger, Charlese Theron voicing Tiamat, and the kids embrace their inner murderhobos by the end of the movie--what can go wrong?

It could tie into FR by having the miniquest be to find a certain world jumping wizard, and I bet a totally not evil Drow will show up too.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I caution against thinking that a good actor can save a bad movie. Ahem, Jeremy Irons is a good actor, and look what we got.

I for one hope we never have a D&D movie that represents how most people actually play it. 95% combat scenes and only the bare minimum screen time spent on interaction? No thanks lol. I would like to see a pretty traditional high fantasy movie set in a typical D&D world (with the races, monsters, etc), and not try to force that it's D&D you're watching over a general fantasy movie like LoTR or something. I worry that they'll try to cram in too many D&D references, which will dilute the entire story arc. Heck, I'd be happy if they made it as a screen adaption of The Crystal Shard.

I caution against thinking that a good actor can save a bad movie. Ahem, Jeremy Irons is a good actor, and look what we got.

I for one hope we never have a D&D movie that represents how most people actually play it. 95% combat scenes and only the bare minimum screen time spent on interaction? No thanks lol. I would like to see a pretty traditional high fantasy movie set in a typical D&D world (with the races, monsters, etc), and not try to force that it's D&D you're watching over a general fantasy movie like LoTR or something. I worry that they'll try to cram in too many D&D references, which will dilute the entire story arc. Heck, I'd be happy if they made it as a screen adaption of The Crystal Shard.

I'd be happy with that. Indeed, I think its the very best we can hope for. The problem for me is that a single adventure (even at the length of a lot of modern films) cannot hope to capture what for me is the true essence of playing D&D - which is having a character who, over multiple adventures (which may or may not be linked in terms of their plot) gains experience (primarily by killing things and taking their stuff) and thereby progresses from being a 1st level greenhorn to someone who is (hopefully) one of the most the most accomplished fighters/wizard/thieves/whatevers in the world. The only possible way to represent that on screen is either a whole series of movies or a multi-season TV show. I won't hold my breath.

Elon Tusk

Explorer
Dungeon Master's Block podcast (ep. 129) discussed whether it should be a straight fantasy in a D&D world or have cut-scenes to players, including freezing a battle while a player went to the restroom.

I don't need to see people rolling dice. I say develop a fantasy brand with D&D unique monsters (beholders, mind flayers, etc.) in a D&D world (I guess Forgotten Realms makes the most sense). I'd be okay with a first level party going through Out of the Abyss or something similar.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Cutting to players sounds awful.

The premise of The Lego Movie also sounds awful. A movie length commercial for a toy with cuts to people playing with the toy. And yet, it was one of the best movies of its year.

Elon Tusk

Explorer
Cutting to players sounds awful.

The premise of The Lego Movie also sounds awful. A movie length commercial for a toy with cuts to people playing with the toy. And yet, it was one of the best movies of its year.

Except the cuts to play didn't add anything for a kids' movie, would IMHO be a big detractor for D&D.

Miladoon

First Post
Since Sci-Fantasy is hot right now, I would go with some Spelljammer.

A Firefly reboot that happens 10000 years in the past.

I see everyone winning here.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
After LotR and GoT, a fantasy D&D movie has some big footsteps to follow and I fear it will fall flat on its face because of taking itself too seriously.

It has to be an action comedy romp like Pirates of the Caribbean but I just don't see how it can work without it tying back to a group of people playing a game. The new Jumanji has stolen the jump on them by having modern characters get sucked into a game and force them into being fish out of water. This would have been an ideal start to a D&D movie IMHO - showing the players getting so wrapped up in the story that it takes on a shared reality.

Hmm how about a bunch of teenagers in some post-apocalyptic world where their only escape is a set of musty D&D 5e books and suddenly they're transported from their sad world into a brighter more fun space. And alongside their fantasy counterparts they have some conflict to resolve back in reality.

I dunno - just make it worth watching dammit :D

Remove ads