• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D movie sequel update.

glass

(he, him)
Henry said:
Speaking as a Dragonlance fan from the mid-1980's, I doubt a Dragonlance movie would be made because it would now be accused of being too derivative of Lord of the Rings because, basically, it is. Heroes start being chased from town by bad guys, Quest centered around an artifact, White-bearded wizard who dies heroically from a great fall and is reborn in his true power, Trip through a huge ruined city, trip through a Dwarven Delve (in LOTR these were combined), Fight against a big scaly creature with horns, gigantic war scenes, noble personage trying to bury his past and love with an elven woman, some heroes of moral ambiguity, etc.

There are plenty of variations, mind you (and I'd LOVE to see Xak Tsaroth on screen), but the basic story borrows so heavily from LOTR the comparisons would be instant and merciless.

There's is lots of stuff in DL that has some fairly close parallels with the Lord of the Rings, but there's also lots that doesn't (like the dragons and lances themselves, for instance). A good filmmaker would just emphasise those bits.

I don't think it would necesarily be a problem.

glass.

glass

(he, him)
glass said:
I don't think it would necesarily be a problem.

Although, paying for the locations and the FX and the large cast might be.

I'd love to see a DL movie (or six), but I'd want them to be done right. And I think done right would require $100m plus a movie.

glass.

Ranger REG

Explorer
glass said:
Although, paying for the locations and the FX and the large cast might be.

I'd love to see a DL movie (or six), but I'd want them to be done right. And I think done right would require $100m plus a movie.
What was LOTR film budget?

Zulithe

Explorer
According to BoxOfficeMojo the budgets for all 3 LotR films:
FotR Production Budget: $93 million
TTT: Production Budget: $94 million
RotK: Production Budget: $94 million

Very low by blockbuster standards. Certainly the fact that they were all shot together accounts for the low cost. That, and it was shot overseas.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Zulithe said:
Very low by blockbuster standards. Certainly the fact that they were all shot together accounts for the low cost. That, and it was shot overseas.
Anyone object to shooting a Dragonlance film in New Zealand? :cool:

glass

(he, him)
Ranger Reg said:
Zulithe said:
Anyone object to shooting a Dragonlance film in New Zealand?

That might be the way to do it, make all three of the Chronicles together for the economies of scale. New Zealand might make it a bit to close to LotR looks wise though: maybe eastern Europe?

glass.

Klaus

First Post
New Zealand would be a better location, since DL goes from temperate woodlands to midwest-type plains to steaming swamps to towering forests to frozen glaciers to...

Man, location scouting for a DL trilogy would be a nightmare! :)

glass

(he, him)
Klaus said:
New Zealand would be a better location, since DL goes from temperate woodlands to midwest-type plains to steaming swamps to towering forests to frozen glaciers to...

Does New Zealand have all those things?

glass.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads