D&D 5E D&D Next Art Column: June! And July!

IanB

First Post
I don't think it is hunchbacked, it is just flaring its feathers out. You can clearly see the line of the back goes in a more bear-like shape behind the feathery bit.

Also note, some bears look pretty darn hunchbacked themselves at times:

1444-I-002-aea75d4f16b48ead0d923254ca4e8e9b.jpg

Klaus

First Post
I don't think it is hunchbacked, it is just flaring its feathers out. You can clearly see the line of the back goes in a more bear-like shape behind the feathery bit.

Also note, some bears look pretty darn hunchbacked themselves at times:

1444-I-002-aea75d4f16b48ead0d923254ca4e8e9b.jpg
Note that this bear is looking down (the top of its head is lower than its rear end), whereas the Grizzowl is facing forward (its head is level with its rear end). And its limbs are far too short, more in line with a bulldog than a bear.

Hussar

Legend
eye_20120606_Quadruped.jpg

Yeah, I can totally see that Klaus. Like I've been saying all the way along, baby bear need back. :D

But, a bit of streamlining in the front is certainly a good idea. I got no problems with a feather "mane" which is pretty owly. But, a bit more bear and a lot less gorilla or bulldog is a good idea.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I don't think One Mascot is a good idea.

I was fond of the 3e iconics, and part of the reason I was fond of them was because there was a lot of them. D&D wasn't represented with one thing, it was represented with a lot of things.

But I don't think that they need to be exclusive. Having a "core four" or so that are present in many different roles throughout the books would be nice. There needs to be a diversity.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I liked the iconics in the 3.0 main book, but I grew tired of them in later supplements, and really didn't like seeing them used to show off alternate class features and the like.

Also, I want to see different variations of each class and race. My suggestion is to have iconics, but on a book by book basis. No iconic would show up in more than one book. Tell a story, then move on.

Mercutio01

First Post
I like iconics because they make the example play and flavor text bits more interesting, but I'll be honest in that I didn't really attach any significance to any of the ones in 3E or Pathfinder. I probably can't even name more than a couple from either game.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
30-40. Or more. PHB could have about 20, other products about 5-10.

The human barbarian, the half orc barbarian, the human bard, the half elf bard, the gnome bard, the elf cleric, the dwarf cleric, the human cleric of this, and the human cleric of that, the human druid, the half elf druid, the halfling druid, the elf archer fighter, the dwarf fighter...

Remove ads