D&D 5E D&D Next Blog - A Close Call with Negative Hit Points

S

Sunseeker

But 4E had one for going under 50% HP that was massively underused.

Bloodied was awesome. I hope they bring that death spiral back.

Because it wasn't always a punishment. It also gave some bonuses.

But a death spiral in which you lose health, then lose con, so you have less health to lose in the future, and then lose more con more easily is a bad death spiral.

I liked the idea of treating serious injuries like a cornered animal, you become more dangerous but at a cost.

JonWake

First Post
So, I've been running a PF game with Wounds/Vitality for the past four months, and I'm actually going to revert to a straight HP system. Why? Well, it actually increases grind to a fairly significant degree, makes book keeping just slightly more unwieldy, and borks magic healing. The intention was to make combat more dangerous, with the threat of death omnipresent for even high level characters. In practice, it increases the layers of abstraction for the players, making it harder for them to conceptually grasp their robustness or fragility.

Put it this way: they have an easier time understanding a finite number of HPs that, if gone, spell doom than a finite number of HPs that, if gone, roll over into a finite number of HPs.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I've got nothing against death spirals if they are consciously chosen and work as intended. Anyone going to that trouble to put in the death spiral will probably also put in enough design information or transparent mechanics that I can tweak it or even get rid of it, easily.

Death spirals that result from a designer using stuff that sounds like it will simulate some version of their preferred reality, without any serious thought dedicated to how it plays, no. :p

Meophist

First Post
I don't like some of the death spiral rules you guys are proposing. I think there are good reasons to avoid layering on penalties to characters who have been knocked down once or twice (or even more).

It can cause an overall loss of enjoyment to know that not only have you had the crap beat out of you, but also now you're going to be ineffective for the rest of the game, making it easier for the crap to get beat out of you, and so on, spiral spiral spiral.
I think it's a good idea to have some lasting penalties for taking damage in battle, although there's little reason they have to be permanent(unless you're going for a super-gritty style of play, which shouldn't be default). As long as they can be recovered from, even if it takes time, it's not a death spiral. There should be some incentive to not playing completely stupidly.
There are good reasons that no version of D&D has ever slapped big penalties on characters for dropping below zero hp.
Character death is somewhat of a big penalty. If you don't have a healer or potions, losing even a bit of hit points can mean spending a lot of time healing up.

Meophist

First Post
How about losing hit points? That makes it likelier you to die from the next hit.
Yes it does. The entire situation is complicated, but one "goal" to keep in mind is to have healing classes useful without making it too difficult to go without. Additionally, having both short-term tension within each battle while having long-term attrition in mind. Having a two-step "hit point" model is the easiest way of achieving these goals. If you don't, sacrifices need to be made somewhere.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
I wonder if one could tweak the con loss suggestions above as follows:

Your Con score is the number of rounds that you can survive at 0 HP. When you get to zero, you start tracking the number of rounds. When you get healed, you keep note of that number. Perhaps, one could have a modifier as to the number of rounds one can spend at HP before starting to track rounds coming from the main stat for the character (not class).

That track gets reset every time you go up a level, or reach a major milestone in a campaign. In addition, you can go back one slot on the track by spending a day without any significant physical exertion, or by having a healing spell directed towards that, as opposed to your HP.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
So far the two winning options are essentially the same. Either healing always starts from zero or hit points never go below zero (therefore healing always starts at zero).

Is this a commentary on mathematics? Negative numbers are annoying?

Negative hit points are kind of like THAC0. They work mathematically, and can be visualized effectively on a number line, but require two levels of abstraction.

The first level is that negative numbers are, in fact, an abstraction. We can visualize positive numbers as physical objects. They can be counted. But negative numbers only exists in comparisons and rate of change. They never represent static objects, so our visualizations of them require false abstractions.

The second level is to then apply negative numbers to represent how close you are to being dead. So, as you take further damage, you're mathematically counting down, but mentally counting up.

All these mental gymnastics are uncomfortable, even if they aren't that difficult.

In defense of negative hit points, the current system is very simple when looked at as a health bar:

HP: ooooo ooooo | ooooo ooooo ooooo oo (17)

Start at the right. That's full health. When you reach the line, you're disabled. When you reach the end, you're dead. It's only when expressed in words that the concept becomes annoying.

One thing we can do is simply give negative hit points the THAC0 treatment. Make them positive. Call them wound points. When you run out of hit points, you start taking wound points at the same rate. When you run out of wound points, you're dead. It's functionally identical, and more clearly represents something.

At the same time, it seems like a separate mechanic. A complication. Especially in a world filled with games where running out of hit points means you die. But it's clear that most people want something between fully able and dead. That requires some level of complication.

Remove ads