• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Next Blog: Beyond Class & Race

I looked through the 4e D&D Compendium. There are:

797 Backgrounds
77 Themes
77 Classes
574 Paragon Paths
114 Epic Destinies

I didn't realize how much ground 4e has covered. (I dropped out at 3.5e.)

How on earth are the 5e designers going to distill all this--along with the 3e, 2e, 1e, and BECMI classes, kits, subclasses, and name-level classes--into an essential D&D Next PHB?

Remathilis

Legend

797 Backgrounds
77 Themes
77 Classes
574 Paragon Paths
114 Epic Destinies

How on earth are the 5e designers going to distill all this--along with the 3e, 2e, 1e, and BECMI classes, kits, subclasses, and name-level classes--into an essential D&D Next PHB?

Not all in one PHB, for starters :p

A lot of them can be condensed down. For example, a dozen paragon paths for the druid, warden, shaman, ranger, and barbarian could be distilled into a few themes or backgrounds. Most of the arcane PPs and EDs could be likewise condensed. One hopes so too, those numbers are fracking scary.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter

797 Backgrounds
77 Themes
77 Classes
574 Paragon Paths
114 Epic Destinies

A lot of those options are redundant.
Some of them are aspects that have artificial niches.

I think a lot of these option can be trimmed down to more accurately represent many of the characters floating in the fans' minds.

Yora

Legend
This theme and background stuff sounds interesting, but I really can't figure out how it is supposed to work in practice. I think I really need to see a comprehensive draft of the full rule to truly seewhat they do.

Incenjucar

Legend
A lot of those options are redundant.
Some of them are aspects that have artificial niches.

I think a lot of these option can be trimmed down to more accurately represent many of the characters floating in the fans' minds.

Unfortunately, this is one of those things that will occur again and again, and comes down to business practices of filling expected content gaps by number rather than by need.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Unfortunately, this is one of those things that will occur again and again, and comes down to business practices of filling expected content gaps by number rather than by need.

If they slow down on the content spewing and deliver a good core, then we will have fewer artificial concepts filling expected content gaps.

I wouldn't even call it perceived content gaps. It much rather is "we need to print more books!"

That too.
Also with a good core and many good modules printed with it, it would make printing more nonsensical or gap filler books harder.

For example, if background stay in their current from (3 skills and something minor like a language or proficiency), then new backgrounds would be just named versions of custom backgrounds.

The scary one is themes.

Yora

Legend
Do I got things right in asuming that background will be mostly passive bonuses to activities that are a major part of the characters education, and themes are packages of special abilities that constitute certain combat styles?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Do I got things right in asuming that background will be mostly passive bonuses to activities that are a major part of the characters education, and themes are packages of special abilities that constitute certain combat styles?

That is what I'm getting.

Backgrounds seem to your characters earlier education, skills, traits, and knowledges. For example, if there is a "Contacts" module, it might be part of your background.

Themes seem to suggest your character's method of doing things. This might be mostly combat style but might be other things. Robert mentioned a mystical fighter. If I am correct and the mystical part is a theme, then the detectmagic and familiar is not a combat style per se, but it does tweak how the fighter does things. If the wealthy part is a theme (which I doubt) then the character might start with better equipment or even the ability to use an exotic/expensive item.

Last edited:

Yora

Legend
Really would be helpful if they would share with us what they are talking about instead of just telling us about one element without any clue what it affects.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads