D&D General D&D: passing the torch

dave2008

Legend
The image below came up on my partner's facebook today (what you were doing 8 years ago) and I thought I would share. One of the joys of my life was to teach the game of D&D to my sons and their friends. Something I hope a lot of D&D moms and dads get to do.

D&D_above.jpg

PS: the title is wrong, this wasn't for a birthday adventure (which I have run). Also, you can see the smaller scale overall map behind the boy with the toyota shirt on. The large scale map is just a portion of it (I went through a lot of paper!). I have no idea why I am lying on the map - what was I thinking!

Also, proud D&D dad moment: I am happy to say 4 of the 6 players have graduated and gone to University (the others are still in highschool) and three of those four are attending: Columbia, Pomona, and Stanford. And I know the one attending Stanford is playing D&D there. Sorry - couldn't help myself.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
The image below came up on my partner's facebook today (what you were doing 8 years ago) and I thought I would share. One of the joys of my life was to teach the game of D&D to my sons and their friends. Something I hope a lot of D&D moms and dads get to do.

View attachment 118550
PS: the title is wrong, this wasn't for a birthday adventure (which I have run). Also, you can see the smaller scale overall map behind the boy with the toyota shirt on. The large scale map is just a portion of it (I went through a lot of paper!). Also, proud D&D dad moment: I am happy to say 4 of the 6 players have graduated and gone to University (the others are in highschool) and three of those four are attending: Columbia, Pomona, and Stanford. And I know the one attending Stanford is playing D&D there. Sorry - couldn't help myself.

So since I also DMed D&D for my nephew who will soon graduate from Stanford I think I see a pattern! ;)

dave2008

Legend
DMing my kid and a couple of his friends when they were younger was a great experience. Not just because a new crop of players, but because they didn't have preconceived notions of what was allowed and what wasn't, and their imagination gave me flashbacks of my own younger days.
No kidding! It was a stark contrast from my group that has been playing together for 30+ years now!

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Teaching my son and daughter to play... they are massively better role players and story tellers than I in so many ways huzzah! - this has been more than a few years ago (my daughter is in her late teens and son early twenties)

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Sadly I got back into D&D right after my daughter left for college, but since then we've managed to get in a few sessions and just this Christmas she was saying that she wanted to run a game for her friends. So I think she's managed to catch the bug in spite of my late start :)

Richards

Legend
Yep, my adult son (he's 34; I introduced him to AD&D 2nd Edition when he was 8 and his older brother was 10) is now DMing a weekly campaign for us in addition to my monthly weekend campaign. He's tailored his DMing style to the constraints of the sessions (he runs 2 to 2-1/2 hour sessions on a school night, with two of our players still in school - junior high and high school) and thus his adventures are purposefully much shorter than mine (I usually have 5-6 hours on each Saturday we play and thus write my adventures to fill up most of that time). But he's become as skilled of a DM as I am, which makes me prouder than all get-out. And best of all: I get to be a regular player now, something that was pretty much beyond me when I was the sole DM for our campaigns.

Johnathan

pogre

Legend
My youngest son just got done running an adventure for his friends. He's been playing with me for years, and I have encouraged him to have friends over to run a game. It was gratifying to hear the boys (all 14 yo's) exclaiming when they saw all of the gaming shtuff in our game room. Overheard - "Do you guys have miniatures for everything!"

One of our groups has been dubbed D&D&D&D - short for Dungeons & Dragons & Daddies & Daughters. My 8 year old niece might be the most bloodthirsty player I’ve ever DMed for! Prior to their PCs attending a celebration at a manor, my 10 yo daughter and her 11 yo friend were delighted to go “shopping” then spent time drawing their characters in their get-ups (complete with hidden weapons of course). The kids have boundless creativity during combat, social interaction and exploration. It has been a blast and am looking forward to when my daughter is willing to take the reigns as DM at some point.

Remove ads