D&D 5E D&D pateau-ing?

Vaalingrade

Legend
damn it I should have thought of that... genus. except evil too
Didn't work for her. And I got her basically blacklisted from the entire self-publishing community for it.

Which is hilarious, because the standard way to 'win' and argument on the old Kindle boards was to go 1-star the other person's book, attacking their livelyhood for disagreeing like an adult.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Then we're even and we'll both be ignored in 2024 when they roll out the Yeet-nuggie NoCap as the only class.
lol, I know right? The one silver lining from it is it got me to really expand beyond D&D for my RPG experiences. Before VTTs took off it felt like it was the only option. Things are looking up!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
2014 was a huge change... 5e isn't even recognizable as a growth out of 4e. It is much more a throw back to 3e.
Don't tell Hussar that - it's kind of his soapbox lately. But he's right that there's a fair amount of 4e as part of the structure of 5e. You really don't get to 5e without going through 4e first. But there's also a lot of 1e/2e (particularly with respect to magic items) and 3e as well.
And it's been extremely successful.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Don't tell Hussar that - it's kind of his soapbox lately. But he's right that there's a fair amount of 4e as part of the structure of 5e. You really don't get to 5e without going through 4e first. But there's also a lot of 1e/2e (particularly with respect to magic items) and 3e as well.
And it's been extremely successful.
Very true. For some, it seems, its not the right parts of 4E, our simply not enough of it included. I can certainly understand that position.

JThursby

Adventurer
yeah I get a good laugh at the idea of "You need to grow your business" mentality...

like if you make $10 profit this year and $10 profit next year that is seen as a failur to grow
If you have investors, this is a failure. Investors give you money, and you promise to give them more back later. Only way that works is if you increase your profits by more than the interest of the loan. Lending is a powerful economic tool but it can easily go awry, and it tends to create weird short term incentives.
lol, I know right? The one silver lining from it is it got me to really expand beyond D&D for my RPG experiences. Before VTTs took off it felt like it was the only option. Things are looking up!
I know right? There's like 200 game systems for free in Foundry alone. The barrier of entry has never been smaller.

If you have investors, this is a failure. Investors give you money, and you promise to give them more back later. Only way that works is if you increase your profits by more than the interest of the loan. Lending is a powerful economic tool but it can easily go awry, and it tends to create weird short term incentives.
this is wrong... and the problem I was making fun of... if you have investors (or if you don't) and you make $10 profit that is what you pay the investors back with... (and again remember to multiply by a million each time)

if you have 4 investors plus yourself (so 5 of you) and you make $10 profit in 2021 everyone can take $2. if you make $10 profit in 2022 everyone STILL gets $2. You didn't fail, you MADE a profit.

now you want to add intrest in
Only way that works is if you increase your profits by more than the interest of the loan.
I don't know what intrest rates you are used to... but lets say 5%. if the $10 profit was good for that 5% in 2021 why isn't it in 2022?

JThursby

Adventurer
this is wrong... and the problem I was making fun of... if you have investors (or if you don't) and you make $10 profit that is what you pay the investors back with... (and again remember to multiply by a million each time)

if you have 4 investors plus yourself (so 5 of you) and you make $10 profit in 2021 everyone can take $2. if you make $10 profit in 2022 everyone STILL gets $2. You didn't fail, you MADE a profit.
This is based on the logic that making any profit is a win. That's not how this works. Everyone wants the highest return on investment possible. Being able to offer the best ROI is the real competition; for the investors, that means offering terms that the company will find acceptable, and for the company that means proving your business can grow so the same investors can make more when they reinvest. If someone can make 2x their initial investment with you, but 3x their initial investment with someone else, why would they bother dealing with you? Sustainable growth is important because it signals you are a safe, dependable investment with a potential for high ROI.

Remove ads