D&D 5E D&D Products That Were Never Used By Anyone?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
There were some 3e Forgotten Realms sourcebooks that it seemed like a lot of people bought to read, but which nobody really ever used. At least, in the games I saw. Books like:

Unapproachable East
Silver Marches
Shining South
Serpent Kingdoms

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
There were some 3e Forgotten Realms sourcebooks that it seemed like a lot of people bought to read, but which nobody really ever used. At least, in the games I saw. Books like:

Unapproachable East
Silver Marches
Shining South
Serpent Kingdoms

I definitely plundered Serpent Kingdoms for inspiration, but I can't say I ever actually used it as is or not.

I enjoyed reading these books, but of them only actually used the Shining South (Halruaa, specifically). The Unapproachable East is one I still really want to run a campaign using. One day…

I’ve really been digging seeing all the stories in this thread of all the obscure products that people have actually gotten use out of.

Unapproachable East
Silver Marches
Shining South
Serpent Kingdoms

Unapproachable East
Silver Marches
Shining South
Serpent Kingdoms
I ran a whole 3e campaign in the Silver Marches, and used that sourcebook extensively.

Satyrn

First Post
2. Maztica setting for Forgotten Realms.
I ran a one shot set in Maztica, and playec a pluma knight see displaced into the Dalelands in sunshine else's FR game.

I also take from it for my current game, where a cult of city dwellers who worship Zaltec set up their secret lair in the megadungeon.

Oh top of that, at least one other person has certainly used Maztica, since they adapted it to 5e.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
Silver Marches I used, but I own the entire 3.5 FR run and can honestly say I've never used most of the other setting splatbooks. They were great reads, however. I'm a lore junkie.

I own every Eberron book as well and I do a better job of incorporating some of that stuff but I've never used the Stormreach book. I plan to this campaign, however. Don't think I've ever used the Magic of Eberron, Secrets of Sarlona, or The Forge of War either now that I think about it.

I've read them cover to cover at least twice though.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Silver Marches I used, but I own the entire 3.5 FR run and can honestly say I've never used most of the other setting splatbooks. They were great reads, however. I'm a lore junkie.

I own every Eberron book as well and I do a better job of incorporating some of that stuff but I've never used the Stormreach book. I plan to this campaign, however. Don't think I've ever used the Magic of Eberron, Secrets of Sarlona, or The Forge of War either now that I think about it.

I've read them cover to cover at least twice though.

The Forge of War is... not great in a lot of ways... but I was still able to mine it for quite of bit of interesting things.

I've never bothered with Sarlona or the Dreaming Dark as while I love psionics my players categorically do not.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
Same. Literally no one in my groups have ever played a Kalashtar or a changeling.

Warforged are extremely popular and most of the BBEG types have been Dragonmarked houses, the Daelkyr, or the Lords of Dust. I've never used the Dreaming Dark.

Zardnaar

Legend

Unapproachable East
Silver Marches
Shining South
Serpent Kingdoms

Have not used the Shining South used the others.

I had one PC Changeling in a campaign I ran. She claimed to be a “peasant seamstress,” but actually an assassin.

I've never seen anyone play a Kalashtar, either. I'm sure they're out there, but for me, as a DM that hates psionics, I'm fine with that. :D

Same. Literally no one in my groups have ever played a Kalashtar or a changeling.

Remove ads