D&D Psionics Survey; Plus "First Major Mechanical Expansion" Coming?

The latest D&D survey is up from WotC, and it's asking your thoughts on the revised Awakened Mystic article (aka 5E psionics rules) in Mike Mearls' Unearthed Arcana column last July. It also asks whether you want to see new races, classes, spells, and feats. At the same time, the last survey's results are in, reporting on the pubic's opinions of the Kits of Old article from a few months ago; and Mike Mearls refers to a "first major mechanical expansion" in the game.

The latest D&D survey is up from WotC, and it's asking your thoughts on the revised Awakened Mystic article (aka 5E psionics rules) in Mike Mearls' Unearthed Arcana column last July. It also asks whether you want to see new races, classes, spells, and feats. At the same time, the last survey's results are in, reporting on the pubic's opinions of the Kits of Old article from a few months ago; and Mike Mearls refers to a "first major mechanical expansion" in the game.

[lq]At this stage, we’ve begun considering what the first, major mechanical expansion to the game might look like.[/lq]

Shroomy

Adventurer
All I can say is that I am thankful that psionics aren't part of the core game.

It is just my opinion, but a concept / word originating from the 1950's has no place in a fantasy setting. Good stuff for a space opera, but latter-half of the word is from "electr-onics" and has no business having ever been in D&D. It's like they licked too many Gama World book covers or something and just tossed it into the game since they had a rules framework.

Science-Fantasy has long been a part of D&D, as well as it's literary and pop culture antecedents, so I must disagree with your assertion that psionics has no business being in D&D. It may not be for everyone or every campaign, but it definitely has a place in the game.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
To say that one sort of fantasy (psionics - the ability to do wondrous things through practiced force of will) does not fit where another sort of fantasy (magic - the ability to do wondrous things through practiced formulae or faith in a power besides one's self) does is to be closed-minded, and often elitist at the same time.

All fantasy, whether it is the typical D&D sort with elves, dwarves, orcs, fireball spells and divine magic, or the planet-traveling alien encountering and gunfighting sort, has its place in D&D.

Powers of the mind, even if called magic in their sources, are found in the very materials originally listed as being inspiration for the D&D game itself.

Edit to add: And let us all be mindful that there was a time when there was just "Fantasy"; not all of these sub-divisions that have been made of it such as "historical fantasy" or "science-fiction".

Last edited by a moderator:

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
It is just my opinion, but a concept / word originating from the 1950's has no place in a fantasy setting. Good stuff for a space opera, but latter-half of the word is from "electr-onics" and has no business having ever been in D&D. It's like they licked too many Gama World book covers or something and just tossed it into the game since they had a rules framework.
For what it's worth, I don't usually like "psionics" in fantasy either,* and I dislike the name. But ever since they renamed it as "mystic," I hear a lot of outcry from people who love the name (and concept) for some reason.

I guess it just means that whatever they choose, someone's going to be unhappy.

*Not to say it's impossible for it to be done well, but usually the flavor just doesn't match up.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
All I can say is that I am thankful that psionics aren't part of the core game.

It is just my opinion, but a concept / word originating from the 1950's has no place in a fantasy setting.

What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

As for the concept - Katherine Kurtz has written a few pretty successful trilogies of fantasy novels in which any D&D player is likely to say, "Hey, all that magic is psionics." None of the verbal, somatic, and material component and preparation stuff. If she can do that, the concept is fine, even if you don't like the word.

I admit, I am not a great fan of mixing standard spellcasting and psi in the same game. For some reason, I find that thematically off-putting. But, a game where all magic was psi, basically a game in a world like Kurtz's, would be fine and fun by me.

Topdecker

First Post
To me, Psionics seemed cobbled on from the Metamorphosis Alpha / Gamma World chain of games. I regarded it as being ill considered when 1st edition was released and after 30+ years of holding this position, I am unlikely to change my opinion.

I do agree with Umbran in that selecting one system - ritual casting vs inherent powers - is agreeable - and I suppose that part of my dislike for psionics is that there is no need for a secondary system beyond some marketing goal of having psionics span several game systems.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Science-Fantasy has long been a part of D&D, as well as it's literary and pop culture antecedents, so I must disagree with your assertion that psionics has no business being in D&D. It may not be for everyone or every campaign, but it definitely has a place in the game.

I agree.

It has been in my campaign and the lore of the world since at least 1985-86.

Shroomy

Adventurer
To me, Psionics seemed cobbled on from the Metamorphosis Alpha / Gamma World chain of games. I regarded it as being ill considered when 1st edition was released and after 30+ years of holding this position, I am unlikely to change my opinion.

I do agree with Umbran in that selecting one system - ritual casting vs inherent powers - is agreeable - and I suppose that part of my dislike for psionics is that there is no need for a secondary system beyond some marketing goal of having psionics span several game systems.

D&D psionics isn't cobbled on material from MA/GW - both share the same literary and pop culture influences. For psionics, it's Sterling Lanier's Hiero's Journey, which is referenced in Appendix N and the 1e GW foreword. BTW, the book is awesome and includes an literary example of a character gaining experience and leveling up!

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

Not to try to change your mind, but here is some additional info;

Katherine Kurtz had "psionic" magic in her fantasy series. (Deryni)

Marion Zimmer Bradley had "psionic" magic in her fantasy series. (Darkover)

Julian May...(The Pliocene Epic, i.e. The Many Colored Land, which is FANTASTIC!)

Anne McCaffrey...Andre Norton...Mercedes Lackey...

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

Psionics in D&D predate those games. Psionics has been part of D&D since 1976, where it appeared in Supplement III: Eldritch Wizardry for the original version of the game.

Remove ads

Remove ads