D&D Psionics Survey; Plus "First Major Mechanical Expansion" Coming?

The latest D&D survey is up from WotC, and it's asking your thoughts on the revised Awakened Mystic article (aka 5E psionics rules) in Mike Mearls' Unearthed Arcana column last July. It also asks whether you want to see new races, classes, spells, and feats. At the same time, the last survey's results are in, reporting on the pubic's opinions of the Kits of Old article from a few months ago; and Mike Mearls refers to a "first major mechanical expansion" in the game.

The latest D&D survey is up from WotC, and it's asking your thoughts on the revised Awakened Mystic article (aka 5E psionics rules) in Mike Mearls' Unearthed Arcana column last July. It also asks whether you want to see new races, classes, spells, and feats. At the same time, the last survey's results are in, reporting on the pubic's opinions of the Kits of Old article from a few months ago; and Mike Mearls refers to a "first major mechanical expansion" in the game.

[lq]At this stage, we’ve begun considering what the first, major mechanical expansion to the game might look like.[/lq]

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I wonder if they are using the word "expansion" to mean "fix."
I would say this:

3e: 2000.
3.5e: 2003.
4e: 2007.
Essentials: 2010.

Every 3-4 years, under WotC, we get a new e, or a major mechanical update.

I'd imagine this release fits that pattern. It's probably not a new e. It might just be a pile of character options, or a reinterpretation of certain elements (a la essentials). I'd imagine possible elements might include The New Ranger. But I bet it'll be a Pretty Big Deal!

I feel like even though Mearls says they are just considering an expansion, a lot of the initial work has already been done. There have been quite a few UAs that have presented drafts of additional rules.

Not saying that we would see anything before the year is out, but I do think it could be completed faster than we might expect...
All the UA articles combined are just over 70 pages. They'd need to double the content for even a small 160-page accessory.
Plus layout, editing, art orders, getting review copies to proof, etc. Getting the book written is less than half the work of getting a book published.

icosahedron20

First Post
I would say this:
Every 3-4 years, under WotC, we get a new e, or a major mechanical update.

I remember the original quotes about the game being modular. I had hoped that it would mimic the software industry moving towards more frequent (or continuous) updates rather than the big releases every few years.

Bad Fox

First Post
All the UA articles combined are just over 70 pages. They'd need to double the content for even a small 160-page accessory.
Plus layout, editing, art orders, getting review copies to proof, etc. Getting the book written is less than half the work of getting a book published.

You are correct, of course! But even that is a big start, as the actual writing of a product is one of the easier bits. As you have products over on DMsGuild, I'd expect you'd agree that coming up with coherent rules and concepts can be the hard part. Turning words into sentences is relatively straightforward by comparison.

I think you're pretty bang-on when you say that all the UA articles are just over 70 pages, but you're making a big assumption when you imply that they've shared everything they've done. I expect there's quite a bit we haven't seen.

That said, I do agree that commissioning art, then doing the layout and art would be very labour intensive. It'd have to add a huge chunk of time. I don't think that it would be impossible for us to see something in time for Christmas, though.

That said, I do agree that commissioning art, then doing the layout and art would be very labour intensive. It'd have to add a huge chunk of time. I don't think that it would be impossible for us to see something in time for Christmas, though.
Back in 2014, they were writing the DMG in August for a late November release. But that was mostly straight text and advice, and a lot less playtesting and rules. And that was still a good four-month period.

Making new class content and having *any* sort of playtest will be slower. Designing class options simply takes more time than a bunch of magic items or optional rules.

Case and point: http://www.enworld.org/forum/conten...Perkins-Tweeting-Page-Snippets-Of-Mongrelfolk
Perkins was hard at work on Curse of Strahd a year ago. Making a book is time intensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads