D&D Psionics Survey; Plus "First Major Mechanical Expansion" Coming?

The latest D&D survey is up from WotC, and it's asking your thoughts on the revised Awakened Mystic article (aka 5E psionics rules) in Mike Mearls' Unearthed Arcana column last July. It also asks whether you want to see new races, classes, spells, and feats. At the same time, the last survey's results are in, reporting on the pubic's opinions of the Kits of Old article from a few months ago; and Mike Mearls refers to a "first major mechanical expansion" in the game.

The latest D&D survey is up from WotC, and it's asking your thoughts on the revised Awakened Mystic article (aka 5E psionics rules) in Mike Mearls' Unearthed Arcana column last July. It also asks whether you want to see new races, classes, spells, and feats. At the same time, the last survey's results are in, reporting on the pubic's opinions of the Kits of Old article from a few months ago; and Mike Mearls refers to a "first major mechanical expansion" in the game.

[lq]At this stage, we’ve begun considering what the first, major mechanical expansion to the game might look like.[/lq]

I would be surprised if the various player options printed in the adventure books and the EEPC are not included in this new book. It would help them reach a page count equal to the PHB and would put all the scattered rules in one place, but would use few enough pages that there would be plenty of room for new stuff to make the book worth the $40-50 price tag.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I said in my feedback that I wanted more non-traditional races (merfolk, centaurs, etc) and rules and advice for allowing players to play truly monstrous characters (medusas, fiends, dragons, etc).

I also said that the other options we should get should really be the ones we need for different settings, such as a well-done and fully fleshed out artificer.

CapnZapp

Legend
Unfortunately, it seems like they're solely focusing on adding more player character options (classes, subclasses, spells, feats).
Again, a "mechanical update" leads down a slippery slope to two different (similar but not identical) versions.

No matter how innocuous a small skill rule would seem.

Just adding to the game has the great advantage we all play the same game.

CapnZapp

Legend
To add to that: the skill proposal is a small benign suggestion.

But 3.5 was undone by adding a thousand small changes that individually could be seen as small, useful and harmless.

Yet, in the end 3.5 changed a lot without actually fixing any of the real problems.

Compare 5E which truly and satisfyingly fixes d20.

But not because of the individual changes to each spell or class feature. It's the deep sweeping fundamental core changes that did it.

Patching and tweaking an edition is, I believe, a fool's errand.

Especially with a Paizo lurking behind the corner.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
It would be nice to see the expanded tactical options that they floated as a possibility during the playtest period. People who prefer TOTM can use the PHB, and people who would like expanded options could use the tactical expansion.

CapnZapp

Legend
I would be surprised if the various player options printed in the adventure books and the EEPC are not included in this new book. It would help them reach a page count equal to the PHB and would put all the scattered rules in one place, but would use few enough pages that there would be plenty of room for new stuff to make the book worth the $40-50 price tag.
That doesn't sound unreasonable, but it would mean you could choose this new book and circumvent the "PHB plus one" guideline.

Of course, by now, the community would have found if there were any unintended power combos to be had, so perhaps this wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Assuming:
1) there are no such combos to be abused
OR
2) there were, and at least one component is simply not reprinted

and not
3) the abuse combo is "fixed". Again, I hope they stick to their policy of not adding fixes to the game. Having several slightly different versions of something is bad.

Either errata the thing that can be abused or, more plainly, don't reprint it.

Remove ads

Remove ads