D&D 5E D&D Races: Evolution, Fantasy Stereotypes & Escapism

Hussar

Legend
See, look, it's not really all that complicated.

These terms which people are having issues are not applied equally. No one talks about the primitive Romans, for example, despite the fact that the Romans, by modern standards, absolutely were. No one talks about the primitive Greeks either. Heck, even the Celts and the Gauls are not described, typically, as primitive. If you want to get right down to it, pretty much anything pre-Rennaissance is primitive by modern standards. However, again, it's not like the term is broadly used.

The only time primitive gets trotted out is when the people who it's being applied to have an excess of melanin compared to Europeans.

So, yes, because people have finally started being listened to who have been talking about this for a long time, certain words are starting to fall out of use. Because, even if you or I don't associate that particular term (whatever the term is) with a particular connotation, many people do. And they are telling you that they do.

Now you have a choice. Ignore these people, which has been the traditional response, since, well, they are a minority and they don't matter. Or, try to create a truly equal society where all voices are listened to.

Do you have any for yours ?

No, YOU are the one making the assertion that a majority of english speakers think like you. Proof ?

As for myself, I speak about words, and dictionaries actually support me.

Actually they do, they show that D&D has to remain an american product and that the actual majority of people playing the game over the world - which, too bad, are NOT american despite what you might think - are playing it wrong if they do not acknowledge the original influence. Which is even more absurd, since the root of the game is medieval Europe, its myth and magic. Most of the rest of inspiration, actually is everything BUT american. So who is unrealistic now ?

No, actually, I happened to have lived overseas for the largest part of my career, speaking english most of the time. So I actually do think that I have a way better view of the way it is used over the world (and in particular in the context of roleplaying games) than you.

By the way, as usual, you language to other posters is EXTREMELY INSULTING, using words like "ignorant" and "silly". Please stop.

You are not pointing out anything, you are making unsustained claims, without the slightest factual support, and being extremely insulting in your words. Stop it.

Your words are not inclusive, and are extremely insulting, on top of the fact that you absolutely want to push a specific world view on others. This is not inclusive, it's contrary to the spirit and rules of these forums, and is simply unacceptable.

You are confusing "native english speaker" with "biased american" here. Again, despite what you think, most english speakers over the planet, are not americans. Even the native ones. Document yourself. I have lived in the UK, in Australia, in South Africa and in Singapore, where people there are all native english speakers. But maybe they don't count in your view ?
I love that you think I'm an American, which I'm not, and the ad-hom attacks here are pretty special, as are the wild assertions about my motivations.

To be clear, I'm British, and I'm telling you that your claims that most British people (certainly under 50) for example think the word "exotic" is a compliment are hilariously false. As for ignorance, well you don't know things yet are making very strong claims about them. That is, I'm afraid, ignorant. You're saying we should use "good words" regardless of whether "some people" find them offensive? Seems a bit strange to dispute "ignorant" in that context.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Good point on sexuality, its another bia that seems absent. I'd also say marrying strategy are very seldom mentionned, as if the idea that people freely choosing their spouse, a very recent idea in human history, was totally ingrained.

Hum, it's really funny that you would say that. Please find me an official D&D supplement in which married people are not cis-het. I'm not sure that I've seen examples showing another situation even in recent D&D publications.

As far as I'm aware, the problem is not that it's seldom mentioned, the problem is that every single time it's mentioned, it's "traditional". This is where the problem is compared to the modern view.

Lyxen

Great Old One
I don't give a rat's patoot what you do in your home campaign. Nor should you care about mine.

But, we're not talking about your home game are we?

We are talking about the possibility for every DM, published or not, to use the right word in the right context. So, again, if I publish my setting in which a lizardman tribe is primitive, does it cause you a problem ? Why ?

Lyxen

Great Old One
I love that you think I'm an American, which I'm not, and the ad-hom attacks here are pretty special, as are the wild assertions about my motivations.

I don't think I've ever mentioned your motivations.

To be clear, I'm British, and I'm telling you that your claims that most British people (certainly under 50) for example think the word "exotic" is a compliment are hilariously false. As for ignorance, well you don't know things yet are making very strong claims about them. That is, I'm afraid, ignorant. You're saying we should use "good words" regardless of whether "some people" find them offensive? Seems a bit strange to dispute "ignorant" in that context.

And here we go about insults again. At least, you have dropped the wild claims about the world in its entirety. However, isn't it a bit ageist to mention "people under 50" ? See how easy it is to appear offensive when looked at by an intolerant eye ?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
You are confusing "native english speaker" with "biased american" here. Again, despite what you think, most english speakers over the planet, are not americans. Even the native ones.

I'd never thought of the counts of how the speakers of it were divided up before.

Wikipedia estimates 76% of those in the world with English as a first language being in the US, followed by 17.5% in the UK, and 11% in Nigeria. For total English speakers it is 26.8% US, 16.4% India, and 15.1% Nigeria.

Remove ads