D&D 5E D&D Sage Advice 2.6 Update

WotC has released the latest update to its Sage Advice document. "This update aligns these books with content appearing in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, arriving November 17, 2020 in North America and December 1 in EU and APAC." It also includes errata for Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, and Eberron: Rising from the Last War. "Some of the changes in these errata files bring elements of...

WotC has released the latest update to its Sage Advice document. "This update aligns these books with content appearing in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, arriving November 17, 2020 in North America and December 1 in EU and APAC."

sage.jpg

It also includes errata for Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, and Eberron: Rising from the Last War. "Some of the changes in these errata files bring elements of those two books in line with content in Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything".

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Rogue's are some of the primary users of the SCAG cantrips. And that's OK. You can make cantrips for rogues, given one of their most popular subclasses do cast cantrips.
This is true, but also I see them used all the time by practically every Spellcasting class, one way or another.

BB will still definitely be Twinnable at my table.

G

Guest User

I don't think FR ever qualified as a "Masterpiece". And NWN2: Masks of the Betrayer makes good use of the Wall as a plot McGuffin.
I think the Grey box, 1987 Forgotten Realms setting is a Masterpiece by RPG standards.

Those two booklets did an exceptionally excellent job at conveying the setting,
in pretty decent detail. To me it is the first D&D setting that emphasized the role-play aspect of the game.

G

Guest User

With the new range of Self, is there a way to share the cantrips with animal companions or familiars?
This is why natural attacks are not weapons...so you can't Toad-Blade someone. 🐸🗡
Share Spell in the PHB has the verbiage:
when you cast a spell targeting yourself, you can also affect your beast companion with the spell if the beast is within 30 feet of you.

Neither BB or GFB Target you. Tasha's updates the Beast Master...so the PHB may be superseded.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I'm away from books at the moment.

With the new range of Self, is there a way to share the cantrips with animal companions or familiars?
at least some animal companions it seems likely It would be a nice alternative to ye olde disposable parrot drone scout owl& "and my familiar uses the help action" spam but does not appear to be an option for find familiar & the deliver touch spell thing they can do is almost pointless. I thought paladin's had some way to miror self target spells to their steed but can't find it so could be rememberng wrong edition stuff
@Thunderous Mojo
1605215294025.png

1605215311406.png

Unfortunately the phb is less than clear thanks to natural language elsewhere not really defining it
1605215551864.png

Rune

Once A Fool
Arguable, considering the remaining text. It describes what happens to the dead.

It makes sense, the range is a 5’ radius centered on you. The target is a creature within range. It’s oddly worded to avoid...idk honestly why they wanted to avoid the synergies this gets rid of.
In the high-level game that I ran before Tasha’s came out, the sorcerer/paladin used to regularly twin booming blade or green flame blade with an upcast shadow blade (and then would often follow with a quickened one).

This was an exceptionally potent combination, especially on crits (with smites, of course).

The Tasha’s errata to target removes the ability to twin the cantrips. The change to the material components (now requiring a weapon with a monetary value) removes the ability to use it with shadow blade. My guess is they changed the cantrips because of sorcerers.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
In the high-level game that I ran before Tasha’s came out, the sorcerer/paladin used to regularly twin booming blade or green flame blade with an upcast shadow blade (and then would often follow with a quickened one).

This was an exceptionally potent combination, especially on crits (with smites, of course).

The Tasha’s errata to target removes the ability to twin the cantrips. The change to the material components (now requiring a weapon with a monetary value) removes the ability to use it with shadow blade. My guess is they changed the cantrips because of sorcerers.
I think tweets from JC have clarified that the change was thematic, and that basically he still allows the cantrips with shadowblade and the like, by interpreting the cost of a weapon as a property and being generous about it.

Remove ads

Remove ads