D&D 5E D&D Sage Advice 2.6 Update

WotC has released the latest update to its Sage Advice document. "This update aligns these books with content appearing in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, arriving November 17, 2020 in North America and December 1 in EU and APAC."

sage.jpg

It also includes errata for Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, and Eberron: Rising from the Last War. "Some of the changes in these errata files bring elements of those two books in line with content in Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything".

Last edited by a moderator:

So wait, there are folks keen on the original (5th ed) version of the Bladesinger?
Does the Tasha revision somehow make it worse?
It depends what you do with it. If your game has frequent short rests/infrequent long rests you will notice the fewer uses of bladesong, and if you play the bladesinger as a back row caster rather than a front row gish you won't get as much mileage out of the buff (although I don't think there is anything stopping you using a bow, e.g. firebolt+crossbow).

nexalis

Numinous Hierophant
The scag cantrips (booming blade/gfb) are still really quite bad once you crunch the numbers.
You can't make a blanket statement like this. Booming Blade in particular is excellent for rogues who don't get Extra Attack and who can Disengage from their targets using a bonus action. Not sure what you mean about the ability mods. Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade allow you to make a normal melee attack, applying Strength or Dex to the attack roll as well as the damage roll. None of that changes with the errata.

Al2O3

Explorer
The scag cantrips (booming blade/gfb) are still really quite bad once you crunch the numbers. Yes they can be used with strength or dex rather than int/wis/cha, but a character with the strength/dex to effectively use them likely has at least two attacks & can use one of the many d8 or better weapons. Unlike booing blade & gfb though, using a weapon as a weapon will give +ability mod to each attack in addition to any weapon mods. Lets be honest & admit we are probably talking about an EK who gets a full 2/3/4 weapon attacks so even a +nothing 1d8 weapon with 20 strength or 20 dex is going to be 1d8+5 1x 2x 3x or 4x/round for an average of 9.5/19/28.5/38 vrs booming blade's 14/23.5/33/42.5 if there is a 100% hit chance. As soon as the hit chance drops below 100% the scag cantrip user uses 100% of their damage that round each miss while the attack chain user level 5 & up loses 1/2 1/3 & 1/4 respectively. A magic weapon with +1or anything else multiplies that by the number of attacks yet only ever works once for the scag cantrip user. Then to make an already questionable miniscule white room edge the rest of 5e makes sure to be sure of it with
There are three cases I can think of where the cantrips are clearly useful:
1. Bladesinger replacing one attack with a cantrip. Not sure how it compares to shocking grasp, but clearly better than just an attack.
2. A rogue who wouldn't use two weapon fighting anyway and who picks up the cantrip some way. Arcane trickster maybe (or multiclass/magic initiate)?
3. A warlock with pact of the blade who prefers to use invocations for other things than thirsting blade.

I think the cantrips are situationally better than a normal attack for Eldritch knights as well. However, I can't be bothered to open the spreadsheet I made to check it.

Olrox17

Hero
As a said in another thread: the Wall gets censored (for lack of a better word) out of SCAG, presumably to avoid hurting somebody's feelings, but this phrase remains intact:
"Some [referring to unclaimed souls] are charged with serving as guides for other lost souls, while others are transformed into squirming larvae and cast into the dust". Like that's a better fate than the Wall!

Whatever, WotC deciding to withhold lore details in a book doesn't change anything, anyway. The lore stays the same. Wasted opportunity on WotC's part to expand the Wall's lore and make it better, more interesting and developed. Instead, they swept it under the rug, hoping "the new generations" of D&D players and DM won't be interested enough in the lore to find out about it.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I remember when the preview came out and there was a whole bunch of people screaming about "Stealth errata, WotC sucks!". I said "it's not out yet, they will probably errata it around the time Tasha's is released. People would argue, I'd give examples like how Wizards errata'd the Triton to give it Darkvision when the Wildemount version came out with it and in fact not done any stealth errata. But no, they had to have their narrative.

Glad to see that faith Wizards would do it right paid off.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You can't make a blanket statement like this. Booming Blade in particular is excellent for rogues who don't get Extra Attack and who can Disengage from their targets using a bonus action. Not sure what you mean about the ability mods. Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade allow you to make a normal melee attack, applying Strength or Dex to the attack roll as well as the damage roll. None of that changes with the errata.
When you start getting into "the cantrip was made for a rogue" level of specific something has probably gone wrong in design making a cantrip rather than an archetype. That's a design flaw not a positive. The fact that they finally fixed the interaction between extra attacks & cantrips but appear to have limited the change specifically to bladesinger
1605114885469.png

1605114738002.png
rather than bite the bullet & fix the problem overall for all cantrip users is the sort of kneejerk one off edge case solution likely to make correcting it everywhere else all the more trap prone similar to how eldritch blast being a cantrip that takes all of the good from both cantrips & fighter extra attack with none of the bad from either complicates things.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
When you start getting into "the cantrip was made for a rogue" level of specific something has probably gone wrong in design making a cantrip rather than an archetype. That's a design flaw not a positive. The fact that they finally fixed the interaction between extra attacks & cantrips but appear to have limited the change specifically to bladesinger
rather than bite the bullet & fix the problem overall for all cantrip users is the sort of kneejerk one off edge case solution likely to make correcting it everywhere else all the more trap prone similar to how eldritch blast being a cantrip that takes all of the good from both cantrips & fighter extra attack with none of the bad from either complicates things.
I think you are mistaking giving an example of a class that it's really good for, and a statement that it's only good for that class. At least the thrust of your argument is against the second, when the first is really what is under discussion.

The cantrips are straight up power boosts for any class with a single attack that want to even occasionally make a melee attack.

Rogue are one example, but I can tell you that I'm strongly thinking of picking up Magical Initiate for my Order Cleric. I have heavy armor, simple weapon, and my 7th level subclass feature adds to damage. This (put the other parts of magic initiate) would be a good boost to melee when I want it. And considering a good chunk of my turns are (a) Concentrate on a spell, (b) cast a bonus action spell on allies (which also triggers my Order cleric special ability) and (c) have an Action available but can't cast a non-cantrip spell since I used a bonus action spell. Arcana clerics are another good example, since they could get it from their domain.

But really, anyone weapon user without extra attack gets a boost from it.

Even non-fighter classes with extra attack may have an increased average damage from it at higher levels, especially if the rider can come into play reliably. That very much depends on what other bonuses they have to their attacks.

Eldritch Knights can cantrip then get an bonus action attack with their primary weapon, giving them effectively extra attack (2) with one being this. Very effective.

Eric V

Hero
I remember when the preview came out and there was a whole bunch of people screaming about "Stealth errata, WotC sucks!". I said "it's not out yet, they will probably errata it around the time Tasha's is released. People would argue, I'd give examples like how Wizards errata'd the Triton to give it Darkvision when the Wildemount version came out with it and in fact not done any stealth errata. But no, they had to have their narrative.

Glad to see that faith Wizards would do it right paid off.
What's the stealth errata?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
So wait, there are folks keen on the original (5th ed) version of the Bladesinger?
Does the Tasha revision somehow make it worse?
The revision gives you less uses of bladesong until high levels since it changes the uses to be equal to your proficiency bonus regained on a long rest instead of the current version where it is usable twice per short rest.

The change where you can cast a cantrip in place of an attack is a good one though.

The revision gives you less uses of bladesong until high levels since it changes the uses to be equal to your proficiency bonus regained on a long rest instead of the current version where it is usable twice per short rest.

The change where you can cast a cantrip in place of an attack is a good one though.
It feels like it puts it more in line with other burst powers like Barbarian rage.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases