D&D General D&D Settings with No Problematic Areas?

Laurefindel

Legend
I disagree on the cleric. Clerics were usually one who travelled to spread the word of their lord/deity. But suppose you could look at it in the terms you put, but I wouldnt do that in my game.
The cleric’s fluff baggage, including the term “Cleric”, is harder to dissociate from the concept of religion (even a loosely defined one), but the mechanics can, with relative ease. You could have a cleric in everything but in name, with the exact same class features (or effect, should the feature's name need to be changed), filling the same role except that of religious guide (which is already downplayed in many games I've seen).

Otherwise I agree that the cleric as a devout religious warrior and militant priest is part of D&D identity, which I'd prefer be addressed (if need be) rather than removed.

MGibster

Legend
Do you mean the Jedi and Sith, or the Republic and Empire? None of those are canonically primarily human. It's just that we usually see human characters in the stories for reasons of ease of costuming and/or relatability for the audience.

The only thing we really have to go by is what's on screen. If all we see are a majority of humans among the Empire or Rebels then they're majority human.

Both. And I am not sure a "yaaactually, in the Star Wars Extended Universe..." comment given that the franchise is centered on movies and in the movies we can see that the Empire and Rebellion are both led and made up of mostly humans. The Imperium was made up of humans with British accents and the Rebellion was made up of humans with American accents.

Carrie Fisher tried to use a faux British accept but Alec Guinness and Anthnoy Daniels didn't have to fake it. And I have it on good authority that Peter Mayhew and Kenny Baker growled/beeped with British accents as well. And let's not forget Darth Vader had a decidedly American accent.

Mercurius

Legend
They give up other rules to have the mark. I don't even really know how to respond to this. Equal is one thing, but 'the same' is something else entirely. Any player is free to take a dragon mark if they want at character gen. It couldn't possibly be fairer. Some people will complain about bloody anything.

Your post above is, um, certainly enthusiastic in it's fault finding. I'm sure if we looked hard enough we could add every single D&D book and setting to that list. Then there would be no more D&D to argue about. Wouldn't that be a relief. We can all play with a single d6 and a picture of stick person on a blank piece of paper. So equal it hurts, right? I can DM you the rules to Stickfolk in Blank Land if you're interested. It's what they call rules light.

This is ableist against folk of narrow size.

Yeah. Every time you want to say "politically correct" stop and replace it with, "thoughtful/respectful of others" and see how it goes.

Nope, those two are different things to me. Thoughtful and respectful is how a normal human should be. Politically correct is taking it to the extreme and punishing people for anything that might even remotely seem like it does not fit into the agenda of whoever it is getting mad. Just like politically incorrect has its extremes also. The "think like me or you are bad and evil" crowd is getting too vocal and pushy on both ends of the spectrum.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
Nope, those two are different things to me. Thoughtful and respectful is how a normal human should be. Politically correct is taking it to the extreme and punishing people for anything that might even remotely seem like it does not fit into the agenda of whoever it is getting mad. Just like politically incorrect has its extremes also. The "think like me or you are bad and evil" crowd is getting too vocal and pushy on both ends of the spectrum.
🤣 okay, sure, people have been using "X people eat dog" as a way to dehumanize others (not just Asians either!) for over a century, but the only reason that joke was upsetting to me was because of my agenda of "I want to have basic respect and dignity as a human being".

Mercurius

Legend
🤣 okay, sure, people have been using "X people eat dog" as a way to dehumanize others (not just Asians either!) for over a century, but the only reason that joke was upsetting to me was because of my agenda of "I want to have basic respect and dignity as a human being".

It is a type of humor, under the general classification of “meta-humor,” and usually not intended to dehumanize.

I’m reminded of the epilogue of one of Dave Chappelle’s recent Netflix specials where he was approached by a trans woman (an aspiring comic) who thanked him for his trans jokes in a previous special, saying that it actually helped normalize trans people by including them among people who could be joked about.

At the least, it is an interesting perspective to consider. Many comics make fun of any and all things, and sometimes do so in a “meta way” where they’re more making fun of people who hold bigoted views than they are the people views refer to.

It doesn’t have to be your type of humor, but I’m just pointing out that it isn’t always—perhaps not usually—meant in a dehumanizing way, and sometimes the opposite. “We’re all human, all absurd - let’s laugh at ourselves.”

I never think about it that way because I am not Asian, but I also would never make a joke in a way that is meant to be mean or hurtful. Sure, sometimes one comes out in a way differently than it sounded in my head, but that kind of innocent mistake happens to a lot of people. It is like with all these topics about whether something is racist or biased or not. Some of it is unintentional, "hey this sounds cool" type of stuff, and then you have the writers who actually are racist and include all the stuff subtly, or sometimes no so subtly, in their works. But there are other threads already arguing about that topic.

Remove ads